//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: basic thumb vs twist throttle question

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    One of the fatal flaws in the Honda is the design of the transfer ports . They have far less of an arc to them then the Tecate does and they fought this problem the entire time which is one of the reasons Honda made one off works cylinders which they still had problems with . As far as the counter balancer weight goes, yes it is heavy but the diameter is far smaller than the flywheel, therefore, some of the additional weight of the rotating mass caused by the counter balancer can be offset by simply running a lighter flywheel which my guess is exactly what Honda did on their race bikes.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR
    AND OWNER OF A TRI Z THAT ACTUALLY HAS A REAR SHOCK ON IT
    That's interesting about the arc of the exhaust ports--I've noticed that. The Tecate also seems to have a larger intake manifold and ports. On the TRX250R website someone said it has a more modern port layout and CP's Sphynx cylinder is similar to it--and that's one of the best aftermarket cylinders out there for the R. Regarding the 250R's flywheel, I put a lighter one in it and it helped a little but not much.

--
    The capitalized FACT is that the former (PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND OWNER OF A TRI Z // primarily bought his mostly original Yammie with the original matching number engine to whore out on Ebay for a profit after he details it.
    Will you be selling it with the period correct telephone tether cord, or will that be sold separately? Those don’t come up on eBay much since Smart phones came out.

In my opinion (not that my opinion matters), the FACT that the 250r had a SIX SPEED gearbox compared to the Tecate's FIVE SPEED gear box suggests that the Honda should have been better overall, yet both had a fairly similar top speed and the Tecate would still beat the Honda 9 times out of 10 not only in the direct back to back tests that I performed, but also in several tests the magazines performed . I can only speculate in fear just how fast a Tecate would have been if it had a six speed gear box.
    What has the amount of gears in a transmission got to do with the top speed of a vehicle? Please explain, we love to learn here at 3WW.

Based on "small details like this" which are FACTS, I would say that the engineers and others whom were involved in the development of "The TECATE....The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe!" were quite successful.
    FACT, the Mighty Tecate was the hands down winners of ALL the 1987 250cc trike shootouts. I imagine it really was lonely at the top
    It sucks to get old

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by christph View Post
    Regarding the 250R's flywheel, I put a lighter one in it and it helped a little but not much.

Did you put an internal rotor one on there like the PVL below?

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

--
    Did you put an internal rotor one on there like the PVL below?

No, I've considered putting a PVL on it but I like having lights. If I decide to go no lights I'll probably do the 2001 CR 250 ignition system, which is supposed to be a night and day difference from stock. I bought a Ricky Stator lightened flywheel before he ran out. I think I got the 2nd to last one. It's 200 grams less than stock. I do plan on putting a PVL on one of my Tecates some day.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    No,

I bought a Ricky Stator lightened flywheel before he ran out. It's 200 grams less than stock.

I do plan on putting a PVL on one of my Tecates some day.
    Ok, that explains why you only noticed a small difference . If you put an internal rotor one on it, you will notice a very large difference . It will also be much easier to kill the engine when braking plus it will rev quicker once it comes on the power band so it will also be less tractable and will basically have less bottom end torque.

You also need to pay close attention to timing because different units have different timing curves and it is easy to toast a piston with incorrect timing . To get the most out of a non stock type stator, it is best to have it dyno tuned . This way you can monitor the detonation if they have a deto sensor and you can monitor the jetting and engine temp vs the horsepower and rpm etc . If you don't dyno tune it, I would at least get a temp gauge and test with that . A tach would also help . With both items you could plot a graph and check the relationship between the two with different timing settings.

At least this is what Google search tells me.

I do plan on putting a PVL on one of my Tecates some day.
    Why, do you have an aversion to traction? You will also kill it every time you barely touch the brakes.

--
    Ok, that explains why you only noticed a small difference . If you put an internal rotor one on it, you will notice a very large difference . It will also be much easier to kill the engine when braking plus it will rev quicker once it comes on the power band so it will also be less tractable and will basically have less bottom end torque.

You also need to pay close attention to timing because different units have different timing curves and it is easy to toast a piston with incorrect timing . To get the most out of a non stock type stator, it is best to have it dyno tuned . This way you can monitor the detonation if they have a deto sensor and you can monitor the jetting and engine temp vs the horsepower and rpm etc . If you don't dyno tune it, I would at least get a temp gauge and test with that . A tach would also help . With both items you could plot a graph and check the relationship between the two with different timing settings.

At least this is what Google search tells me.

Why, do you have an aversion to traction? You will also kill it every time you barely touch the brakes.

Yeah, I'm aware that the small rotor on the PVL might create the opposite problem, all rev and no torque. The trick is to find the right balance. Penton does make different weights you can bolt on to the rotor. Regarding the Tecate, part of me just likes experimenting. I've done everything I can do to most of them without playing with the ignition. I also have an article form back in the day about Team Green's Tecate. This is when it first came out in 84, and one of the pictures shows them running a button-type ignition. I would also like a hotter spark than the stock ignition provides. Years ago I had a high compression dome on my 86 and at higher rpm the engine would cut out completely--it was like I turned the ignition switch off. But once the rpms dropped, it would start running again. I figured the compression was too high for the spark to arc. On a side note, that is why I run NGK's Iridium plugs, I find they burn better in high compression engines. Anyway, when I put on a lower compression dome the problem stopped, so that was my diagnosis. I'm thinking about putting that same dome back in to see if I get the same problem.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //