//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: basic thumb vs twist throttle question

--

basic thumb vs twist throttle question

Okay perhaps I am just not getting it it's been a long time since I've used a thumb throttle but I hear people saying they have trouble with twist is there an inherent problem with a Twist throttle as most all dirt bikes ever made have a rwist w no real issues? it is it something that having triangulated rear wheels makes a difference on I would think not ? For me I don't perceive any real problem with either or with the exception of I'm going to have hand problems with either or due to carpal tunnel and arm pump so if my phone holds up through the arch I don't really care I'm just curious as ever it a lot have different opinions
    I need all the help I can get!

Queef Chief is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    For me, I think it's the direct steer of the three wheeler and four wheeler that makes it feel so much different than leaning a bike to steer. After sliding through a turn then hooking up, it was always so easy to "whiskey throttle" a three wheelers. I suppose it boils down to personal preference. Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    I have thumb and twist throttles on my various machines. Personally I prefer twist throttles as they allow you to keep a tighter and safer grip on the bars. With a thumb throttle you lose your thumb as a means of holding on, and in rough terrain it makes it easier to lose your grip.

--
    It has to do with the diffrence beween how you balance and steer the machines. That being said there are people that prefer there throttles different than the norm. My recommendation to you is to try both and see what you like. Theres no reason for you to do something because eveyone else does. After all it is your trike and your comfort. For me my bikes get twist and trikes/quads get thumb. Though I might try a twist on this 250r just because I think it will be a different experience on a sport trike vs utility.
    1982 ATC185s
    1982 Suspended ATC185s
    1984 ATC70
    1984 ATC 250r
    19?? Motorcraft Three wheeler
    1974 Pacesetter 3
    1984 kawasaki 185
    1977 Atc 90
    1983 ATC 200x

My suspended ATC185s build thread.
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...s-Build-Thread

--
    Always had a bike over the last 30 years. Rode a couple trikes back in the day. I got my trike awhile back. I found the thumb throttle normal. Natural I guess. I am going to swap out my bars and look into a twist throttle. I may or may not like it(?) Hard to say without trying it.

efhondakid is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    I don't like the twist on trikes/quads, 3-wheelers especially when making making a tight left hand turn trying to turn the bars away from you and roll the throttle the opposite direction can be a bit tricky. It really comes down to personal preference. There is a guy I race harescrambles with that runs a thumb throttle on a bike!
    2 in the back, 1 in the front.

--
    I like a twist on 2 strokes and a thumb on 4 strokes. The last breed of kxts had a twist, not positive but i was under the impression that the 250r and tri-z did also. I can only say the kxts came factory twist and Kawasaki had their reasons for doing so. They had a pile of thumb thottles laying around and put a bike throttle on.
    Did the guys racing the final generation trikes at the time race with twisties?
    To me 2 strokes and twisties go together, my choice.
    I know that in certain circumstances a thumb trottle would be great. Maybe even 50% of the time, just my opinion. Again coming down to personal preference and what you are comfortable with. Certainly not liking thumb on a 2 stroke in turns.
    Now 200x, thumb i love. Fun topic.

JacobMonster is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    A lot of good points here. I personally would never put a twist on a trike. The way I ride and the way you lean into corners, I feel I would be hindered trying not to twist the throttle as I lean over the bike in a corner or try to slide it.

Talk to Rob. He even has a thumb throttle on his CRF lol.
    So really, it's preference, nothing more, nothing less.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

--
    Go to youtube and type in "twist throttle gone wrong". You will get a pretty good visual of what can happen. No guarantee that it wouldn't happen with a thumber, but I think you have a little more control if things get messy.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

--
    I've had both and I'm equally comfortable with both on a trike.
    [/SIGPIC]
    85 350x
    83 200x-sold
    ×2 85 200x-sold
    06 kx250f-sold
    86 tecate-sold
    86 tri z powervalved
    85 BIG red
    18 rmz250
    87 lt80
    19 ttr110

MPDano is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLIN View Post
    Go to youtube and type in "twist throttle gone wrong". You will get a pretty good visual of what can happen. No guarantee that it wouldn't happen with a thumber, but I think you have a little more control if things get messy.
    I got a great video of me eating it hard on a track on my KTM 250SXF. Tried to clear a 30 foot jump and hit the lip at 25, went WOT right into a tire on the track and it flung me full speed hitting my chest on a dirt curb. Concussion, knocked the wind out of me and I thought I broke my back. Really easy to go full out of control throttle when you get too far back on the bike. I too was thinking of the thumb throttle on my dirt bikes. Natural on trikes and quads.

I'm 50 now and I need to come to grips that I can't fly like I used to on my BMX bike at 17, lol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xup.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	239037

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MPDano View Post
    I got a great video of me eating it hard on a track on my KTM 250SXF. Tried to clear a 30 foot jump and hit the lip at 25, went WOT right into a tire on the track and it flung me full speed hitting my chest on a dirt curb. Concussion, knocked the wind out of me and I thought I broke my back. Really easy to go full out of control throttle when you get too far back on the bike. I too was thinking of the thumb throttle on my dirt bikes. Natural on trikes and quads.

I'm 50 now and I need to come to grips that I can't fly like I used to on my BMX bike at 17, lol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xup.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	239037
    That was a nasty crash.
    [/SIGPIC]
    85 350x
    83 200x-sold
    ×2 85 200x-sold
    06 kx250f-sold
    86 tecate-sold
    86 tri z powervalved
    85 BIG red
    18 rmz250
    87 lt80
    19 ttr110

MPDano is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by 6spdls1z28 View Post
    That was a nasty crash.
    Yes sir, it was. It's always in the back of my head when I ride my dirt bike now. This thread really got me thinking about converting my dirt bike to thumb. I just need to find one for an FCR carb. It uses a push/pull cable.

efhondakid is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by MPDano View Post
    I just need to find one for an FCR carb. It uses a push/pull cable.
    Just run the pull cable only. That's how the guy I race with runs his and he has never had a problem with it.
    2 in the back, 1 in the front.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by efhondakid View Post
    Just run the pull cable only. That's how the guy I race with runs his and he has never had a problem with it.
    Interesting. Same cable, just don't hook up the push cable?

What I like is the Dual Gasser set ups with both twist and thumb. You can lock the twist. It uses a single cable though. If what you say is true on not using the push cable, this may work.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //