//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Merc

--

The Merc

That’s what we called my wife’s 2004 ML350 and having sold it this afternoon I now post this as a warning to anyone who might be considering a per-owed Mercedes one day.

To preface this please know that I’ve bought and sold vehicles for a living, so it’s not like I can’t tell when someone’s jacked with an odometer, or welded two halves together.

In early 2010 I saw an ad in the paper for a one owner ML with the equivalent of 45,000 miles on it and went to see it. I had a cracked grill and some punks had removed the emblems for jewelry. It needed tires and the pads had less than 25% left, ran great. The owner had moved to France due to security issues down here and left his nephew to sell off his cars and bikes. We did the negotiation dance and he wouldn’t agree to my offer without the uncle’s blessing, so we parted ways and a few days later I got a call telling me the equivalent of $9,000 would take it. The original invoice was for $54,000, so I thought I’d made a pretty good deal.

I changed the motor and trans oil, replaced the emblems, tires, all the pads and sensors and added side steps and took it in for an alignment. Good as new, but I should have realized what was coming when I went to get the alignment done. The machine is proprietary and locks onto holes in the rims, the cost was $300 compared to $30 bucks for my Ford. The guy I bought it off swore he had two keys when I picked it up, but never did find the second one, so another $200 bucks at the dealers. A few months later the throttle position sensor went out. $150 and a tow and it was all downhill from there.

When I started looking for a manual all I could find was a likely pirated Mercedes CD that ended up opening in German and blocking me before I could figure out how to enter the pass code. At that point accepted that I would be using the dealer for pretty much anything more complicated than oil changes.

One sensor after another, the A/C pump, steering pump hoses, vacuum lines, trans leak, u-joint, AWD sensor, and torsion bars. At one point the brake pedal became spongy and the fluid looked a little funky, so I sent it for a flush because the antilock system has a pump that is connected to a pressurized box that has a dozen lines connected to it which needs to be bled by a vacuum pump. Another $300 and when I got it back the peddle was worse than before. Long story short every component of the braking system was replaced and the brakes never came back to normal. The truck was at the dealers for almost 2 months and we picked it up and returned it the following day at least 4 times during that period. After taking to the Mercedes rep for Mexico and North America I finally gave up and just accepted that the pedal reaching the carpet every time I stopped hard was the new norm.

Every freaking time I spent money on it I would tell myself that this was the last one and that it would now last me for 200,000 worry free miles like everyone else with these things seems to be getting. Boy was I wrong. I ended up buying the wife a new Honda (it has issues too) a year ago so that this time could be at the dealers as long as they wanted to keep it and we’d use it as a spare car when our were getting serviced, but after having it in the shop for almost all of November and a large chunk of January for steering pump issue I decided to blow it out today for $3,000 bucks to a dealer with only 71,600 miles on it. I likely could have gotten an extra $1,000 bucks had I sold it to an end user, but I wouldn't have been able to sleep at night. Not because I’ve got moral issues with selling a POS to an unsuspecting putz, I’m afraid for my life once they realize what a money pit it is!

So a few minutes ago I started throwing out my receipts and decided to add them up. Turns out that not counting oil changes, or accessories I spent $8,528 on repairs over the past 26,600 miles. Then I added up the receipts from the first owner that he’d accumulated after the warrantee had ended, $7,338. Holy crap! I didn’t get those until after I purchased the vehicle and never bothered to look closely, I wish I had. Fuel pump, suspension, sensors, etc. and the odometer readings were between 28,000 and 35,000 miles when all this work was needed.

Never again! My advice to all: DON’T EVER BUY ANYTHING THAT HAYNES OR CLYMER DOESN’T MAKE A MANUAL FOR!
    It sucks to get old

--
    Ouch man...

Heard some horror stories about vehicles. Quebec, Canada has a whole set of different rules. I would look long and hard at a USA vehicle. They would ship a flooded (water damaged) from the USA into Quebec and reregister it and sell it in another province. Also airbags made in Quebec they were putting gun powder in them...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    I think I bought the cousin to your Merc, and it is a 2006 Chevy Colorado with only 74K on the clock. It developed a vacuum problem... it sucked nearly $2,000 out of my wallet above and beyond the $5,000 purchase price, and it still won't pass inspection. It runs great, but it is going to need a new cam chain, tensioners, and variable valve timing (SPAWN OF SATAN) actuator. On the brighter side, it would make a splendid boat anchor.

--
    If it makes you feel any better, I just found one more receipt at the bottom of the drawer. It's for 1100 bucks and that one was during my ownership
    It sucks to get old

--
    It doesn't make me feel any better, but it does put things in perspective. I'll just keep increasing my lawn ornament inventory and stop sniveling.

--
    You can't go wrong with pink flamingos. Gnomes are good investments as well.
    It sucks to get old

--
    I was referring to yard ornaments of the motorized variety, but I suppose there's gnome place like home.

--
    I hate daily driver cars and have been considering selling my ecoboost because I'm tired of paying for a vehicle that sits in the garage. I've only put 9k miles on it in 2 years so I'd love to sell it and then just pay cash for an older diesel, but I don't want to buy someone else's problems and I'm at a point in my life where I'm tired of pissing money away on vehicles. My 07 Corolla has been the best car I've ever owned. It's my daily and I've put every mile on it except for the 3 it had on it at the dealer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

--
    Don't feel too bad.......my neighbor a couple houses down had the same Mercedes and it was a constant problem to them. He purchased it gently used as well. Is it a model thing? We're there problems consistent with that model?

Hey.....good rittens. Hondas are good vehicles

--
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    Don't feel too bad.......my neighbor a couple houses down had the same Mercedes and it was a constant problem to them. He purchased it gently used as well. Is it a model thing? We're there problems consistent with that model?

Hey.....good rittens. Hondas are good vehicles
    Supposedly they got their act together after the 2003 ML got roasted on Top Gear. What I liked about the 2004 is that it was the last year that it came with a full chassis. The roads down here are crap and unibody's start making funny sounds after the first two years of use.

I'd love to tell you that the Honda is a wonderful vehicle, but I don't want to lie to you. It makes a sound like the transmission is going to fall out of it when you're going uphill I've taken it to the dealer three times and they keep telling me things like we tightened the dash, or we reprogram the computer, or Honda is coming out with and updated flash for the computer next year. WTF!

I've been told by some people that it is an issue with the AWD System, so when they release the 2017 models in March I plan to trade this one in and get the same unit in 2WD. I might actually get a couple bucks back in the process.
    Last edited by El Camexican; 01-21-2017 at 11:02 PM.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    I hate daily driver cars and have been considering selling my ecoboost because I'm tired of paying for a vehicle that sits in the garage. I've only put 9k miles on it in 2 years so I'd love to sell it and then just pay cash for an older diesel, but I don't want to buy someone else's problems and I'm at a point in my life where I'm tired of pissing money away on vehicles. My 07 Corolla has been the best car I've ever owned. It's my daily and I've put every mile on it except for the 3 it had on it at the dealer.

I'm getting too old for used vehicles. I would much rather spend my spare time wrenching on a pretty little motorcycle, as opposed to a greasy old truck. That said I had been fantasizing about one of those new Rapters, but got sticker shock when I did a little research. I guess I'm stuck with my Chevy for a couple more years.
    It sucks to get old

--
    I absolutely love my truck, just hate paying for something I don't use all that often. I just need to suck it up three more years and I'll have a practically new truck that's paid for and like you said, don't have to wrench on. But the flip side to that is sell it now and pay cash for a truck that'll sit just like this one, but is paid for. #firstbworldproblems

--
    My 07 Corolla has been the best car I've ever owned. It's my daily and I've put every mile on it except for the 3 it had on it at the dealer.

I am a big Toyota guy. It pays my bills.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Canadian View Post
    I am a big Toyota guy. It pays my bills.
    Toyota Tech?

--
    Toyota Tech?
    I come from a big family of Toyota. And yes...

'83 200X

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //