//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Front brake (shoe) warning!!

--

Front brake (shoe) warning!!

This one happens to be an 85 es.

I rarely get out of 2nd gear but can only imagine if this happened any faster.

My daily driver, babied but work it with trailers and hills etc etc.

Heading towards the road to cross the front yard, pinky pull on front brake, slowed lightly
    as it always had and then locked up dead stop rotation but the trike slid on the gravel / ice Almost into the road.

I'm guessing that one of the shoe linings has separated and gets trapped between the next one
    and the drum.

Autopsy started but I have the dreaded olympic frozen front axle event in process.

I guess worst case is to rotate fork as the 4 10mm cap did come off without breaking, so that's
    something to be thankful for.

oh, and the fact that the brake lock-up coulda been way worse.

Also had trouble getting into reverse to just drag the front wheel backwards, since the gears were preloaded in fwd.

One last funny thing is that I took off the brake cable, cam arm is nice and loose, Not frozen and it rolls back and forth but if I get on it, the extra weight has something to do with the drum lock up.

Spins nicely off the ground in both directions.

ps - how can i pull the left fork tube out, if it comes to that, with the frozen axle bolt issue?
    thanks
    Last edited by tri again; 01-21-2017 at 05:41 PM.

--
    Yeah always pays to use a decent brand of brake linings. Have done the cheap route before and it just doesn't pay. To seperate the fork from the leg there is a bolt at the bottom of the fork leg. Undo that (fork oil will drain) and it should slide off. I don't remember there being a snap ring on the inside of the dust seal on top of the fork leg but I could be wrong so check that out first.

Matt
    1980 ATC 70 Needs Restoration
    1985 ATC 250es Fully Refurbed
    1986 ATC 350x Mint Original

--
    Loosen the pinch bolts to pull the forks down out and take it somewhere with a press.Life is short lol. Then you can shine everything up,grease it and put her back to new. Lining spun for sure. . Ice,,,,,wth is that? Uggghhhhhh.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc007 View Post
    Loosen the pinch bolts to pull the forks down out and take it somewhere with a press.Life is short lol. Then you can shine everything up,grease it and put her back to new. Lining spun for sure. . Ice,,,,,wth is that? Uggghhhhhh.
    How do you utilize a press in this situation? I ask because my front axle is frozen in the right side fork as well right now on my 85 250ES. The axle threads into the fork on that side.
    86 350X ::: 85 250R

Projects
    350x

Come and Gone
    86 350x : 84 250r X2
    85 350x X2 : 84 200es X3
    83 200e : 78 ATC90

--
    Use a torch and heat up the brake hub right were the axle runs threw it and then with an air impact with a 6 point socket it should break the axle free . Lots of penetrating fluid . May take a few heat cycles.
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Super350 View Post
    How do you utilize a press in this situation? I ask because my front axle is frozen in the right side fork as well right now on my 85 250ES. The axle threads into the fork on that side.
    My apologies, that was assuming the bolt will loosen. I have seen them where the bolt will loosen but still not drive out,then you can one fork it to a press. Last one I worked on ,I broke a Craftsman breaker and socket with a pipe. They are mean. Like Mike said,heat and beat All in the right places.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    I recall drilling a couple holes in an aluminum boss, like the one that front axle bolt runs through,
    on a 250 es.

Some old tractor water pump, decades ago.

Drilled 2 small holes 1/2" apart Just enough to see threads and get penetrant in there.
    Heat, spray, heat, drip, about 20 or more times over a couple weeks but it finally came apart and saved pulling engine and replacing a 1947 engine cover.

Surely they can be plugged with a small screw or gasket sealer.

ps - Q #2. What holds the fork tube into the top tubing? in case I have to go that route.

Thanks again

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //