//ArrowChat Code
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to see what all the Tecate hype is about?

--
    As promised, here are some pics of the latest progress. Unfortunately, it's not assembly progression yet, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. We decided to go with a +4" extended swingarm, w/ TRX450R rear end components, from HRE. This is the first HRE product I've seen in person, and it is a beautiful piece of workmanship! My friend likes the cleaner look of the Honda style, round bearing carrier. As a plus, current, and replacement parts, will be much easier to source, and cheaper too. We also have a Tusk, +4" 450R rear axle, which just so happens to be +4.25" wider than the stock Tecate rear axle. We also have a 450R rear wave rotor, OEM 450R rear brake caliper, and parking brake block off. Not pictured are the BVC rear sprocket guard, and integrated rear disk guard/brake stay (still wrapped in 30 layers of saran wrap).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Axle1.jpg   Axle2.jpg   BrakeStuff.jpg   Swingarm1.jpg   Swingarm2.jpg   Swingarm3.jpg  

Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    cant wait to get this monster going together buddy thank u for all u do

--
    summer is over now dirt time hahhah look out here we come

--
    The new front tire arrived today, so my buddy brought it over (plus a 12 pk ), and we wrenched for a few hours in the garage. As always, things can't go as smoothly as we had hoped they would. If you recall, when we got this Tecate, it had an extended OEM 84-85 swingarm installed on it. Before we sold the swingarm, we removed the needle bearings/seals from it, because they were in excellent shape. The old bearings were cleaned up, regreased, and felt fine. We pressed the old needle bearings into the new swingarm easily. Once installed, the bearings were binding on their center sleeves, and they felt gritty. Hmmm, maybe these bearings aren't as clean as I thought they were. Doing some research after the fact, I see that both the 84-85 & 86-87 Tecates use the same bearings/center sleeves, but the 84-85 uses a different seal on one side of each bearing. Since we needed the proper seals anyway, we decided to order a complete All Balls swingarm bearing kit. After that fun, we mounted up the new Ohtsu M/R 101 front tire, and thankfully, that went fairly smoothly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front Wheel.jpg  
    Last edited by Red Rider; 10-25-2022 at 03:40 AM.

--
    Glad to you see you mikes swinger (hreatv) Now you can see why I only run his stuff, weather its cheaper or more expensive he builds you want you want to his standard which seem to be higher then most companies out there. I wish I still had my 86 T3 stuff but hey stuff happens. I'll soon post up my 200x build...I keep out doing each build before!

--
    Got the new needle bearings installed, as well as the rear bearing carrier, and brake stay/disc guard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swingarm4.jpg  

--
    it feels real good to see my baby finally coming together appreciate all your work and help buddy.wont be long before we are tearing it up again in the dunes hopefully before christmas

--
    I need a little help with some measurements, if anyone is able. We have an OEM rear grab bar, but are looking to go with an aluminum unit. Obviously, they are probably not made anymore, at least that we can find, so we are looking to adapt one from a sport quad most likely. Anyone willing to take 3 measurements for us? I know I can make one work from an ATC 250R, but not real happy with the products available so far. I really like what XFR offers, but they only make them for quads, so if you have a TRX 250R, TRX 450R, TRX 400EX, YFZ 450R, YFZ 350 Banshee, Raptor 700, or KFX 450R, can you take a few minutes to grab some specs please?

I think the attached pic is self-explanatory, but if not, here is what we need:
    Dimension A: Distance between the front & rear mounting bolts.
    Dimension B: Distance from rear of grab bar to the rear mounting bolt.
    Dimension C: Width of rear frame between mounting bolts.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grabbar.jpg  

--
    There is a guy on Facebook that makes a few different grab bars, I'll attach a screenshot. When PRM called it quits this guy started making grab bars similar, they're pretty nice quality. If you guys want to part with that oem grab bar I'd be interested in it for my 87. Send me a pm if you're willing to sell.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20221113-223739_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	811.8 KB 
ID:	269990

Edit. I'm out of town for a bit or else I could get you those measurements. Sorry
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86T3 View Post
    There is a guy on Facebook that makes a few different grab bars. When PRM called it quits this guy started making grab bars similar, they're pretty nice quality. If you guys want to part with that oem grab bar I'd be interested in it for my 87. Send me a pm if you're willing to sell.

Edit. I'm out of town for a bit or else I could get you those measurements. Sorry
    Thanks for the info. I do remember seeing those on Facebook, but forgot about them. I have a PRM unit on my R, and I'm happy with it, but we wanted to go with an all-tubular aluminum grab bar on the Tecate. Here is what we're looking for: https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/...1h/s-l225.webp

When you get back in town, we could still use the measurements if you don't mind. What quad would you be measuring? I will keep you in mind if he decides to sell the oem one.
    Last edited by Red Rider; 11-14-2022 at 04:06 AM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Got the new needle bearings installed, as well as the rear bearing carrier, and brake stay/disc guard.
    Why not run a rear skid plate. I have both of those BVC parts on a build and a skid plate is better imo.
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

--
    atd's stuff is spot on copy's with a twist of vintage prm. I own their bars. Just spend the money because them guys go out of their way with personal messages on facebook, rare these days. Just support the guys who figured it out already...idk what it costs.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Aulbaugh View Post
    Why not run a rear skid plate. I have both of those BVC parts on a build and a skid plate is better imo.
    The swingarm was built without skidplate mounts, because mr tecate wanted to run the BVC disc/sprocket guards. I prefer a traditional skidplate as well, because the 250R's rear shock/linkage hangs down low, which isn't an issue with the Tecate. Plus this bike will probably only see sand.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    atd's stuff is spot on copy's with a twist of vintage prm. I own their bars. Just spend the money because them guys go out of their way with personal messages on facebook, rare these days. Just support the guys who figured it out already...idk what it costs.
    I plan on checking them out, but what I've seen from them so far is not what we're looking for.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    ...idk what it costs.
    I talked to ATD today via Messenger. They were very quick to reply with requested info. Yes, they do offer a standard, superlight grab bar, or desert style grab bar for the Tecate. Prices are $85/$125 shipped for superlight/desert.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //