//ArrowChat Code
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to see what all the Tecate hype is about?

--
    I wish we had more progress to report, but everything is at a standstill due to this BVC inverted forks, tripleclamp kit. The goal is to get a rolling chassis, then start assembling everything else. Well, in order to get a rolling chassis, the tripleclamps have to fit correctly.

On our first attempt to assemble the front end, we had decided to leave the original bearing races in the neck of the frame (even though the BVC kit came with a new All Balls bearings/races set), as they were in good condition, and would be a pain to remove, as there is no way to drive them out easily. The BVC tripleclamps installed easily, using the new bearings, and old races, but it was quickly evident that the steering stops were too short to contact the steering stop tab on the frame neck. We disassembled, then reassembled, this time using the old bearings, and old races, but still no change. As it is, the steering stop on the lower tripleclamp just barely rubs the underside of the steering stop tab on the frame neck, and the bars would keep turning until the forks hit the radiators. BVC is already closed for the day, so mr tecate texted them, and sent pictures of the issue. The next day, BVC responded via a phone call, and they asked, "Are you using the entire bearings/races, that were supplied in their kit?" He told them no, we weren't. BVC said, "That's the problem. You have to remove the old races, and install the new ones, and then the steering stem will go in far enough for the steering stops to make contact." Mr tecate told them, "I don't see the new races making that much of a difference, but we will try it."

Several days later, on our second attempt to assemble the front end, we used a dremel to cut through the bottom race, then chiseled it out. The new All Balls race was installed, as well as the tripleclamps, and we have the same exact issue. The steering stops are not tall enough to engage properly. More pics were sent, via text, to BVC that night. The next day, mr tecate has a phone conversation with BVC, and BVC asks him to send the BVC tripleclamps back to them, as well as the OEM tripleclamps, and they will fix the issue. BVC has been very helpful, while dealing with their products, responding to texts, emails, and phone calls in a reasonable amount of time. It is apparent, that BVC has never had a Tecate in their shop before, to take measurements from, and confirm proper fitment of this kit.

About a week goes by, and we finally get the BVC & OEM tripleclamps back. We immediately notice, the redesigned, taller steering stops, as well as a bunch of nicks/chips in the billet aluminum, so we are optimistic, yet a little pissed off. We mount them up, and the steering stops are finally tall enough to work properly. Whether or not they are positioned correctly, to stop before hitting the radiators, while still allowing a good steering radius will have to be determined later, as the tripleclamps were once again removed, boxed up, and sent back to BVC for some nicer ones.

While we did have the BVC tripleclamps in our possession, we did notice that the front fender bolt pattern is incorrect for the Tecate, and there are no holes for the Tecate headlight mounting bracket. Via a phone conversation, BVC told us that their tripleclamp kits are designed to work with a Honda front fender (200X, 350X, or 250R, I can't remember), and most people run an aftermarket, strap-on headlight. Strangely enough, their website conveniently omits this vital information. We asked them about adding the proper front fender bolt pattern, and headlight bracket mounting holes, stating most Tecate owners would prefer the OEM front fender/headlight combo, but they didn't want to bother, as it would require a bit of reprogramming for their CNC machines. However, they did whip up, and send out, free of charge, a nice front fender adapter bracket (pictured), so we will see how that works out, whenever we get some nicer tripleclamps back again. At least BVC has been covering all of the shipping charges back and forth, while we essentially do some much needed R&D for them, so they can hopefully work out the issues with their product, before they sell anymore to Tecate owners.

While all of the BVC drama has been going on, we were also deciding what to do about the radiators. The originals on this Tecate were pretty ed, and I haven't read any good reports on the aftermarket Tecate radiators (improper fitment, brackets that break off, poor welds, & leaks), other than that they are available. So, we decided on a much nicer set of used radiators from Travis Gisclair @ D&A Restorations. We have nothing but good things to say about Travis. He communicates, is honest, offers fair prices, has been very helpful, and ships quickly. Once we received the used radiators, some aluminum adapter brackets were made up, and riveted on. These will allow us to mount up newer, green, radiator louvers from a 1993 KX-250, whose external dimensions are basically the same, except for the mounting tabs. The OEM black ones are fine, but you can never have enough of that Kawasaki green! Mr tecate also bought some TM Designworks powerlip chain rollers, and a billet, oil fill plug, all in Kawi green of course.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Radiators.jpg   Louvers.jpg   Parts.jpg  
    Last edited by Red Rider; 12-07-2022 at 03:41 AM.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    I had bought something from BVC and it was pure garbage. I think they need to slow down on all the HYPE and focus on having the correct parts in to use at templates. BVC only used 86-87 200x front fenders on all their triples....while they prob should state it that's one of those little things about slowing down or offering options. I would of made them make you new triples as now the fender will hang down lower and prob have visual issues. A programing change would of take 1 hour max...it look longer to make you a fancy look at us adapter. That's my whole issue with BVC. Everyone Ive talked to with parts from them has had issues...It's not as bad a TPC trikes was.

My experience started with buying a 350x part. It never showed up. I emailed and called no one knew about the order...weeks went by with promises on shipping it and nothing. After that I set up to either make my own parts of have someone make them. It rubbed me the wrong way. Good luck on the build. They never go together like we want them to.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    I had bought something from BVC and it was pure garbage. I think they need to slow down on all the HYPE and focus on having the correct parts in to use at templates. BVC only used 86-87 200x front fenders on all their triples....while they prob should state it that's one of those little things about slowing down or offering options.
    Exactly! Why be in a rush to get your parts out there, when you haven't confirmed they fit properly? All it's gonna do is piss off your customers. I know now, that I'll never buy anything from them. Before mr tecate had ordered his swingarm from HRE, he had asked BVC if they made extended swingarms for his Tecate. They said they didn't, but if he had a Tecate swingarm he could send them, as a template, they would make him one. I think they quoted him $700-800. I'm so glad he decided on HRE. Who knows what kind of fitment issues we would have had, had he gone with a rushed BVC fabbed up unit.

--
    Mike ate hre buys the correct parts to REPO. Or they are lent to him buy us local hre only guys. Hre is gonna do a set of blaster a arms for me due to just offering a better product. The hre following cult is huge. I commend bvc on ideas, but without social media they would be nothing. I cringed at their mega or super red xr650l chop job. I'd love to apply there and show what 20 years of engineering can do....I've supported other smaller start up guys like atd-atc...a least atd stud for attention to detail...

--
    I bought a 01 cr250r BVC kit from them a while back and it was a Nightmare. Nothing fit at all. I had to send all my cr250r parts to them to make new conversion parts for my kit. They didn’t know there were differences between years of Honda CRs. I would never recommend anyone using them and glad to have that behind me. If I could do it again I’d go with a TPC trike after having a BVC conversion.
    Last edited by Aulbaugh; 12-13-2022 at 11:49 PM.
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Aulbaugh View Post
    I bought a 01 cr250r BVC kit from them a while back and it was a Nightnare. Nothing fit at all. I had to send all my cr250r parts to them to make new conversion parts for my kit. They didn’t know there were differences between years of Honda CRs. I would never recommend anyone using them and glad to have that behind me. If I could do it again I’d go with a TPC trike after having a BVC conversion.
    Same issue here then. They had no idea there were any differences between the first gen & 2nd gen Tecates. Amateurs! So far, they've been very quick fixing their design issues, and shipping parts back to us. Now that we've sent their nicked/scratched tripleclamps back to them, for some nicer ones, they're suddenly dragging their feet. They claimed the machinist would never send out nicked/chipped items, so the nicks/chips must have happened in the shipping process, and they're blaming that on UPS. There is no way that happened during shipping, as all of the items were wrapped in several layers of bubble wrap. They finally sent the UPS tracking info after several phone calls/emails, but the package still hasn't shipped. It's been almost 2 weeks now, since they received them back. Perhaps I pissed them off, by sending their BVC decals & business card back to them in the same box?
    Last edited by Red Rider; 12-13-2022 at 07:36 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Same issue here then. They had no idea there were any differences between the first gen & 2nd gen Tecates. Amateurs! So far, they've been very quick fixing their design issues, and shipping parts back to us. Now that we've sent their nicked/scratched tripleclamps back to them, for some nicer ones, they're suddenly dragging their feet. They claimed the machinist would never send out nicked/chipped items, so the nicks/chips must have happened in the shipping process, and they're blaming that on UPS. There is no way that happened during shipping, as all of the items were wrapped in several layers of bubble wrap. They finally sent the UPS tracking info after several phone calls/emails, but the package still hasn't shipped. It's been almost 2 weeks now, since they received them back. Perhaps I pissed them off, by sending their BVC decals & business card back to them in the same box?

Yea I got lots of excuses and horrible delayed shipping times, it was bad. I had one part sit at the post there in Arizona that it eventually got sent back to me. I was told Bill was doing this and doing that etc etc etc. They tried to give me free shirts and other swag but I told them no thanks just get me my parts. I don’t think they care really. Last I checked they never updated their kits for the CR conversions. If it’s not too late I would stop and run away from BVC. I hope it gets better for you guys.
    Last edited by Aulbaugh; 12-14-2022 at 12:42 AM.
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

My Feedback Link!

--
    I don’t think they care really. Last I checked they never updated their kits for the CR conversions. If it’s not too late I would stop and run away from BVC. I hope it gets better for you guys.
    They finally responded via email to say the parts went out today, and the tracking # is finally showing some progress. Mr tecate has been calling and leaving messages, saying either ship the parts or refund the money.

--
    They finally responded via email to say the parts went out today, and the tracking # is finally showing some progress. Mr tecate has been calling and leaving messages, saying either ship the parts or refund the money.
    Hopefully this time it all works out for you on the triples buddy. Keep up the great work!
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

My Feedback Link!

--
    Hopefully this time it all works out for you on the triples buddy. Keep up the great work!
    Thanks!

I forgot to mention another thing BVC did, that pissed us off. When we shipped the BVC & OEM tripleclamps back the first time, to have the steering stop issue fixed, for some reason, BVC pressed the steering stem out of the OEM tripleclamps. I assume they did this to take measurements. When we received the BVC & OEM tripleclamps back, this is where the steering stop issue was fixed, but the tripleclamps were all nicked & chipped. What I forgot to mention was, BVC returned the OEM tripleclamps, still dissambled, minus the steering stem bearing. Thanks a lot!

If it helps get this kit figured out, and fitting right, then by all means, disassemble the OEM tripleclamps, and take whatever measurements you need. But put it back together the way you found it, before you send it back to us. When we sent the nicked/chipped tripleclamps back, we also enclosed the OEM tripleclamp/steering stem, and told them to put the stem back in, as well as a bearing. The new tripleclamps have been received as of yesterday. BVC overnighted them to mr tecate. They look great this time, with no blemishes noted. Unfortunately, BVC did not press the OEM stem back into the OEM tripleclamp, but they did send a new All Balls steering stem bearing kit to replace the missing bearing. Mr tecate is on his way over here now, for yet another attempt at assembling this front end again. Hopefully the BVC issues are all over now, and we can make some successful progress tonight.

--
    Finally some acceptable progress. The new tripleclamps look much better. We bolted them up, as well as the forks & front hub/wheel, and everything went together smoothly. As expected, the BVC front fender adapter bracket will not work as it came from BVC. It will bolt up to the tripleclamp, and it will bolt up to the Tecate front fender, but not at the same time. The problem is, their spacing is incorrect from the one bolt pattern to the other. The Tecate front fender is such a tight fit in between the fork legs, that there is no movement side to side, nor front to back. Once the fender adapter is oriented correctly, and bolted to the bottom tripleclamp, the holes for the Tecate fender are about 1/4" too far rearward, and we do not want to oblong the holes on the fender. By flipping the adapter bracket over, the holes are only about 1/16" too far rearward. Our plan is to oblong the holes on the adapter bracket, to allow it to slide forward 1/16", which should allow it to line up properly with the fender holes, as well as modify the bracket, as necessary, to be used in the flipped over position.

The first pic shows the original steering stop design, and why it wouldn't work, and the second pic shows the redesigned steering stops. In the third pic, the adapter bracket is attached to the tripleclamp, but the front fender is just wedged in between the fork legs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SS1.jpg   SS2.jpg   Frontend.jpg  
    Last edited by Red Rider; 12-17-2022 at 10:10 PM.

--
    That frame color is sweet! What are the allen head bolts for on top of the steering stops? Dust cap?
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

My Feedback Link!

--
    That frame color is sweet! What are the allen head bolts for on top of the steering stops?
    That was BVC's fix to make the steering stops tall enough. As for the frame color, I agree. I thought mr tecate should have gone with a standard Lime Green, but this color works very well with the Kawasaki plastics.

--
    That was BVC's fix to make the steering stops tall enough. As for the frame color, I agree. I thought mr tecate should have gone with a standard Lime Green, but this color works very well with the Kawasaki plastics.
    Gotcha, mine were similar but didn’t have the steering stops already machined into the lower triple. I would have rather had the lower triples with the steering stops built in to the billet like the original design they had. The allen bolts that were on mine would gouge the frame on turns and I had to watch them from backing out after rides. I was also told the allen bolts would snap on turns from guys that race these setups. Just my experience/nightmare I’ve been through.
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

My Feedback Link!

--
    I was also told the allen bolts would snap on turns from guys that race these setups. Just my experience/nightmare I’ve been through.
    The steering stops are 8mm bolts, so I think you'd really have to be slamming it from lock to lock to snap them off.

I bought a 01 cr250r BVC kit from them a while back and it was a Nightmare. Nothing fit at all. I had to send all my cr250r parts to them to make new conversion parts for my kit.
    Did you ever get this completed? Did you post a build thread? If so, I'd like to read about it.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //