//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to see what all the Tecate hype is about?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    I thought it was a DG pipe with the badge removed, and after seeing christph's pics, I'm fairly certain that is what it is. Yes, supposedly it has been ported, and I do not believe the KIPS is working properly or possibly at all, as there is no punch to it. Once I dig into it, I will know for sure. Reading over the Tecate service manual, there doesn't appear to be any way to easily test the system for functionality.

Thanks for the pics christph, nice Tecate!
    When I first got my 87 the power valve was stuck--I don't know if it had ever been serviced. Over the years oil built up around the gears and valves into a sludge-like consistency. It's not something you will have to do on a regular basis. I clean mine every piston change because it's already apart and easy to do.

--
    The earth must of flipped it's axis. Remember hopeful ones, "If the Tecate has no punch, you still better bring your lunch"
    Baja?, aint nobody got time for that.
    Last edited by fieldy; 01-23-2017 at 12:45 AM.

--
    Congrats on your find. I'll give you the same speech I give every new 2nd Gen owner, the threads on the power valve governor shafts are reverse. This part is rare of hens teeth from people snapping them off, I know because I did it once. The nut is visible when you take the cover off on the right side of the engine that's above the water pump
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    Ok, so what does that sporty looking white fender belong to in the left side of the photo?
    Could it be the other 1/3 of the big 3?

No, you have simply finally seen the light and the path to your salvation.
    That's funny. Alright, I have to come clean. I cannot lie anymore to my fellow 3ww brethren. The Tecate belongs to a friend of mine, and it's visiting to get some much needed TLC. If you want to stay ahead, you've got to go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by arlaunch View Post
    So you decided to get a high performance bike to go along with your 250r
    Yeah, I saw barnett slip that little jab in there too.

Quote Originally Posted by christph View Post
    When I first got my 87 the power valve was stuck--I don't know if it had ever been serviced. Over the years oil built up around the gears and valves into a sludge-like consistency. It's not something you will have to do on a regular basis. I clean mine every piston change because it's already apart and easy to do.
    That's what I'm planning on doing. On my 250R's CR cylinder, I can remove the actuator cover and see if the centrifugal governor is moving the actuator rod. I can also remove the L rack plug, and see if the rack is being moved. On top of that, I can also remove the PV covers and see if the PVs are moving. With the KXT, I figure I can remove the actuator cover and see if the centrifugal governor is moving the actuator lever, and I can remove the L rack plug and see if the rack is moving, but there is no way to check the movement of the PVs without pulling the cylinder off. Any secrets I may be missing?
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Yeah, I saw barnett slip that little jab in there too.
    Hey, that wasn't a jab, it was a compliment!

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR
    AND OWNER OF A TRI Z THAT ACTUALLY HAS A REAR SHOCK ON IT

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86T3 View Post
    I'll give you the same speech I give every new 2nd Gen owner, the threads on the power valve governor shafts are reverse. This part is rare of hens teeth from people snapping them off, I know because I did it once. The nut is visible when you take the cover off on the right side of the engine that's above the water pump
    Yeah, I picked up on that while reviewing the Tecate service manual, plus I remember a few others on here making that very mistake and then needing a replacement for said part, but thanks for the heads up 86T3. Without the manual, or your guidance, I'm sure I would have made the same mistake.

--
    That's funny. Alright, I have to come clean. I cannot lie anymore to my fellow 3ww brethren. The Tecate belongs to a friend of mine, and it's visiting to get some much needed TLC. If you want to stay ahead, you've got to go RED!
    Whew....that was a close one.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    If you want to stay ahead, you've got to go RED!
    Ok, we got ya covered . We made this one for those whom wanted "The TECATE....The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe!" but preferred it in a "slower" color.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

--
    Ok, we got ya covered . We made this one for those whom wanted "The TECATE....The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe!" but preferred it in a "slower" color.
    Did you really just do that? You're gonna hang your patented, "The TECATE....The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe!" moniker on an '84 Tecate? Now that's perty funny stuff right there. I rike this guy! You vely vely funny. We kirr you rast!

--
    Did you really just do that? You're gonna hang your patented, "The TECATE....The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe!" moniker on an '84 Tecate? Now that's perty funny stuff right there. I rike this guy! You vely vely funny. We kirr you rast!

ummm...ok, is this any better?

--
    FACT: When a Honda racer crossed the finish line in Baja there was already a Tecate there waiting for him… a nice cold RED one

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TECATE.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	239212

How ironic that Kawasaki named their race trike after a town synonymous with a race it never won. Maybe it was because Honda cheated by using a 6th gear on the ATC?
    It sucks to get old

--
    True story: When the Tecate first came out, I was unknowingly mispronouncing it. I was pronouncing it as the Kawasaki "Tech 8" 250, until someone finally corrected me. All that time I thought Kawasaki had named their world-beater after a pair of motorcycle boots.

Name:	tech8_rs_black-red-yellow-fluo_1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	159.1 KB 
ID:	239214

--
    I always thought Tecate was Spanish for broken?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    FACT: When a Honda racer crossed the finish line in Baja there was already a Tecate there waiting for him… a nice cold RED one

Name:	TECATE.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	239212

How ironic that Kawasaki named their race trike after a town synonymous with a race it never won. Maybe it was because Honda cheated by using a 6th gear on the ATC?
    Nah, Honda was destroying everything with their 5 speed air cooled bikes before their 6 speed came along. I'd say they cheated with reliability and engineering over an extra gear.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    I always thought Tecate was Spanish for broken?
    Funny! You got me wondering what the origin of that word was, so I did a little research and found this article, enjoy.

The word “Tecate” comes from a Yuman language, a branch of the Hokan linguistic family that was spoken in Baja when the first Spaniards arrived to the area. It refers to a slow moving green desert turtle notorious for stopping in its tracks without explanation.

The indigenous people of Baja believed that the turtles would stop in order to cooldown, as they would resume crawling only after an extended period of rest. However, modern herpetologists have discovered that the erratic behavior is related to a naturally occurring bioelectric flaw in the design of the turtles which renders them immobile as temperatures rise. In extreme cases the turtles have been known to stop and never regain mobility.

Many of the turtles examined by researchers appear to have lost one or both eyes. This is likely attributable to their odd location well above the top of the head rather than tucked safely inside the skull as found on similar desert retiles. They are likely damaged, or torn off when a turtle tumbles or rolls in the sand. The problem is so wide spread that the ability of these creatures to breed has diminished simply because they are unable to find each other in the dark when temperatures are low enough for them to move freely.

In 1988 the Mexican Department of Anomalies placed the turtles on an endangered species list. Research into the problems plaguing the turtles is ongoing, but is often hampered by a small eccentric group of Armchair enthusiasts who insist that the turtles are perfect and require no intervention in order to survive.

The latest study done in Baja to determine the current population shows their numbers to be decreasing at an alarming rate. Researchers speculate that the much more evolved American Tortoise Cooter (aka the ATC), of Southern California have begun migrating South and are over-consuming the high octane Castor plants the indigenous turtles need to survive. Once the plants have been consumed the Tecates are left with nothing to eat but dust.

Related Articles: Will Trump’s wall prevent ATC’s from crossing into Mexico?
    Last edited by El Camexican; 01-23-2017 at 07:29 PM.
    It sucks to get old

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //