//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to see what all the Tecate hype is about?

JacobMonster is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Funny! You got me wondering what the origin of that word was, so I did a little research and found this article, enjoy.
    [I]
    The word “Tecate” comes from a Yuman language, a branch of the Hokan linguistic family that was spoken in Baja when the first Spaniards arrived to the area. It refers to a slow moving green desert turtle notorious for stopping in its tracks without explanation.

The indigenous people of Baja believed that the turtles would stop in order to cooldown, as they would resume crawling only after an extended period of rest. However, modern herpetologists have discovered that the erratic behavior is related to a naturally occurring bioelectric flaw in the design of the turtles which renders them immobile as temperatures rise. In extreme cases the turtles have been known to stop and never regain mobility.
    I think Im gonna die from laughter.
    I thought it was legit till half way through. Still believable though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Queef Chief is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Funny! You got me wondering what the origin of that word was, so I did a little research and found this article, enjoy.

The word “Tecate” comes from a Yuman language, a branch of the Hokan linguistic family that was spoken in Baja when the first Spaniards arrived to the area. It refers to a slow moving green desert turtle notorious for stopping in its tracks without explanation.

The indigenous people of Baja believed that the turtles would stop in order to cooldown, as they would resume crawling only after an extended period of rest. However, modern herpetologists have discovered that the erratic behavior is related to a naturally occurring bioelectric flaw in the design of the turtles which renders them immobile as temperatures rise. In extreme cases the turtles have been known to stop and never regain mobility.

Many of the turtles examined by researchers appear to have lost one or both eyes. This is likely attributable to their odd location well above the top of the head rather than tucked safely inside the skull as found on similar desert retiles. They are likely damaged, or torn off when a turtle tumbles or rolls in the sand. The problem is so wide spread that the ability of these creatures to breed has diminished simply because they are unable to find each other in the dark when temperatures are low enough for them to move freely.

In 1988 the Mexican Department of Anomalies placed the turtles on an endangered species list. Research into the problems plaguing the turtles is ongoing, but is often hampered by a small eccentric group of Armchair enthusiasts who insist that the turtles are perfect and require no intervention in order to survive.

The latest study done in Baja to determine the current population shows their numbers to be decreasing at an alarming rate. Researchers speculate that the much more evolved American Tortoise Cooter (aka the ATC), of Southern California have begun migrating South and are over-consuming the high octane Castor plants the indigenous turtles need to survive. Once the plants have been consumed the Tecates are left with nothing to eat but dust.

Related Articles: Will Trump’s wall prevent ATC’s from crossing into Mexico?
    Not only informative, but also educational. Thanks for the great article. I'd love to see one of these elusive creatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Queef Chief View Post
    Not only informative, but also educational. Thanks for the great article. I'd love to see one of these elusive creatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Which generation would you like to see?
    84-85 or 86-87?
    Or are you into the tecate-4's?...
    They came in Kawasaki passion red or endangered Tortoise Green.

--
    I also slipped over into the dark side this year....added an 85 Tecate and an 85 Tri-Z to keep my 5 honda's company. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	239217

‘84 Big Red
    ‘85 250R
    ‘86 XR600R(I know, not a trike, but an 80’s beast)
    Survived: Breezewood - April 2016
    Trikefest 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    If you want to stay ahead, you've got to go RED!
    .................................................. .......... You mean like this?

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    I'd say they cheated with reliability and engineering over an extra gear.
    Yes, the van that Team Honda loaded Marty Harts bike into at the National at Loretta Lynns so they could drive him and his bike past everyone on the track and drop him off in front of race winner Donnie Luce because the "superior engineered" honda wouldn't even start, was very reliable.

Nah, Honda was destroying everything with their 5 speed air cooled bikes before their 6 speed came along.
    .................................................. ....... Funny how some people seem to forget the FACTS!
    .................................................. ....... Living in denial must be nice.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR
    AND OWNER OF A TRI Z THAT ACTUALLY HAS A REAR SHOCK ON IT [/QUOTE]

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post

Yes, the van that Team Honda loaded Marty Harts bike into at the National at Loretta Lynns so they could drive him and his bike past everyone on the track and drop him off in front of race winner Donnie Luce because the "superior engineered" honda wouldn't even start, was very reliable.

.................................................. ....... Funny how some people seem to forget the FACTS!
    .................................................. ....... Living in denial must be nice.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR
    AND OWNER OF A TRI Z THAT ACTUALLY HAS A REAR SHOCK ON IT
    [/QUOTE]
    Revisionist History

--
    Revisionist History
    It's xlnt that you finally recognize one of your issues . That is he first step in the healing process.

--
    It's xlnt that you finally recognize one of your issues . That is he first step in the healing process.

I'm sorry barn, I was just reading about all the 250r Baja 1000 wins, did you say something?

--
    The Tortoise always wins the race.

--
    I'm sorry barn, I was just reading about all the 250r Baja 1000 wins, did you say something?
    Oh, you mean the races where PRO riders on hondas beat a bunch of novices because there wasn't even one PRO rider on a TECATE?

Or do you mean the races hondas won before there even was "The TECATE....The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe!"?

If either of these is the case, then yes, for once you are correct, PRO honda riders did beat a bunch of novices, and I for one think that is definitely something honda and every honda owner should be very proud of.

--
    .................................................. .......... You mean like this?

When I saw that I thought of this

https://youtu.be/yfP7qK0khuQ

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2017-01-23-19-58-06-1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	239219

--
    Whatever you have to tell yourself to help you sleep at night barn. So no pro rider would touch a Tecate for baja? Tells you pretty much everything you need to know.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldy View Post
    The Tortoise always wins the race.
    You mean the Tri Z?

--
    Nico,
    That was the best I've read in a long time. Well done Sir. Genius!!!!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    85 Tri-z Power valve on Inverts
    85 Tri-z Basket Case
    01 gsxr750 engine/Tri-z frame (long long way from complete)

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //