//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to see what all the Tecate hype is about?

--
    I finally felt like messing with the Tecate today, so I threw on some old clothes (this thing is filthy), and went out to play in the garage. I removed the gas tank and decided to flush it out, as it had a lot of sediment inside. When I added fuel to the tank to flush it out, I immediately found out that the petcock-to-gas tank seal was bad, as fuel leaked all over the place. I removed all the hardware from the tank (shrouds, mounts, & petcock) to clean it up, and luckily I had no issues with any of the molded-in nuts on the tank. The petcock itself didn't seem to leak, but I did find a split o-ring seal inside, once I opened it up. Petcock rebuild time!

It's very frustrating working on this thing because of the amount of neglect that it's been shown. My 250R is a 1-owner bike, and has been maintained properly it's entire life. If something breaks on it, it gets fixed properly ASAP. Unfortunately with this Tecate, that has not been the case. I've gained a new found respect for you guys that buy a basket case trike, and proceed to restore it to like-new condition.

The steel swingarm is an aftermarket unit that's been extended about 3". Anybody recognize what brand it is?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lside.JPG   Rside.JPG   Swingarm-Lside.JPG   Swingarm-R.JPG  
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    It looks like a 1st generation swingarm that has been cut and re-welded.

--
    That is a modified 1st gen T3 swing arm. The chain slider and bad welds give it away. I have a few stock aluminum ones if your interested, also have a nice DG rear fender & rear tail lense cover.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170130_204924.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	239399

--
    Is it just me or is that swingarm bent?
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Quote Originally Posted by christph View Post
    It looks like a 1st generation swingarm that has been cut and re-welded.
    I forgot about that possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Drive View Post
    That is a modified 1st gen T3 swing arm. The chain slider and bad welds give it away. I have a few stock aluminum ones if your interested, also have a nice DG rear fender & rear tail lense cover.
    Thanks for the identification guys. Yeah, my buddy wants to go back to the original aluminum swingarm, but he does like the slight extension. I remember reading that the 2nd gen swingarm was longer than the 1st gen, but do you guys remember how much longer? I'm just trying to gauge how much longer than stock this one is. Let me know if I need to bust out the measuring tape.

About that taillight: It was there prior to our last ride, but vibrated away somewhere during the ride. The first order of business is to get this running right, then he'll decide if he wants to sink some much needed money into it and clean it up. If so I will be in touch about parts. Thanks for the help & offer though.

Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    Is it just me or is that swingarm bent?
    I think it might be an optical illusion. The bike seems to track straight.

Queef Chief is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    If I remember correctly, the aluminum 86 swingarm is 2" longer than the steel 1st gen swingarm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Queef Chief View Post
    If I remember correctly, the aluminum 86 swingarm is 2" longer than the steel 1st gen swingarm

Yes, I agree. 86/87 Tecate alu swing arm is 2 inch longer then steel 84/85 swing arm.

JacobMonster is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    I wouldn't mind having one just for giggles as the only "performance" trikes Ive owned are a first gen R and an 84 200X. Plus, I'm a bit partial to Kawis considering the first bike I remember is my Dad's 91 KX250. My first ATV was a Bayou, second bike was a KLX 140L then a 98 KDX 200.
    But Honda's are starting to steal my loyalty.

Burn me at the stake, for I am a heretic of the supremen trike- ligion of Kawasaki and the Almighty Tecate...The Most Powerful Trike In The Universe.

Now only If I could find one for a decent price, thats not 12 hours away from me to buy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Queef Chief is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by JacobMonster View Post
    I wouldn't mind having one just for giggles as the only "performance" trikes Ive owned are a first gen R and an 84 200X. Plus, I'm a bit partial to Kawis considering the first bike I remember is my Dad's 91 KX250. My first ATV was a Bayou, second bike was a KLX 140L then a 98 KDX 200.

Burn me at the stake, for I am a heretic of the supremen trike- ligion of Kawasaki and the Almighty Tecate...The Most Powerful Trike In The Universe.

Now only If I could find one for a decent price, thats not 12 hours away from me to buy.

Jacob, come pay me a visit. I have 5 T3s and and may let one of my 85s go soon.

JacobMonster is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

Fuh...fuh-fuh-FIVE?!

I'll be over faster than a Marty Hart 250R in the back of a Team Honda van going to the finish line at Loretta Lynn's

--

I want my tecate back....
    [/SIGPIC]
    85 350x
    83 200x-sold
    ×2 85 200x-sold
    06 kx250f-sold
    86 tecate-sold
    86 tri z powervalved
    85 BIG red
    18 rmz250
    87 lt80
    19 ttr110

--
    This one doesn't really look that bad besides having the wrong swinger.
    [/SIGPIC]
    85 350x
    83 200x-sold
    ×2 85 200x-sold
    06 kx250f-sold
    86 tecate-sold
    86 tri z powervalved
    85 BIG red
    18 rmz250
    87 lt80
    19 ttr110

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 6spdls1z28 View Post
    This one doesn't really look that bad besides having the wrong swinger.
    No it's not. Most of the usually missing parts are there. It just needs a bunch of love. If my friend decides to spend, these are the basics it's going to need (that I've determined so far): Headlight switch, headlight shroud, OEM swingarm (possibly +2), front & rear fenders, tail light lens, fork boots (or inverted forks), tank skin (or new tank), KIPS emblem, & new seat cover. I told him a few years ago to get the fenders while they were still around, but he didn't listen. The current fenders are the old dull-style Maier. I see Maier still makes Tecate-4 fenders in the new glossy plastic, but they don't make the 86-87 Tecate fenders anymore.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by JacobMonster View Post

Come down and talk Tristan out of the one I gave him. It's just sitting there in the garage in large pcs waiting to get rebuilt but I doubt he gets to it anytime soon. The flywheel and rear wheels/hubs and headlight are missing. The rest is there.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Come down and talk Tristan out of the one I gave him. It's just sitting there in the garage in large pcs waiting to get rebuilt but I doubt he gets to it anytime soon. The flywheel and rear wheels/hubs and headlight are missing. The rest is there.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    You just described 90 percent of the Tecates left in existence.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //