//ArrowChat Code
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to see what all the Tecate hype is about?

--
    Most of this afternoon was spent straightening out the headlight mounting brackets. At some point previously, this Tecate bit back hard, and got away from somebody. Based on the damage to the twist-throttle, headlight shroud, and headlight brackets, I'm guessing it was probably looped (due to whiskey throttle presumably), which may also explain the missing headlight ON/OFF switch. Most of the welds on this Tecate would hardly be considered "top-notch", but not bad either, so I'm assuming the headlight bracket's lower mount was re-welded at some point, as it is exceptionally horrendous.

When I finished, I went to the mailbox to retrieve a package John (jeswinehart) had sent me. John & Liway were very accommodating on color choice when I placed the order. I highly recommend their products! Going clock-wise from the top left we have a set of KIPS emblems, swingarm chain sliders, Uni-Trak linkage plugs, the original flywheel after encapsulation, and a delicious after dinner mint?

Other parts have started rolling in as well. A gasket & oil seal kit, CEET tank skin, and a bolt kit.

Also, here is the original flywheel before John worked his magic on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swinehart Parts.JPG   Gaskets & Tankskin.JPG   Boltkit.JPG   Flywheel.JPG  
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    The factory headlight frame welds are a joke. Cleaning is the worst part, soldier on.
    nstyle73

"When in doubt, wind it out"

Feedback: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-nstyle73

--
    Another package arrived today. This time a reproduction front fender from ORI. It's a beautiful reproduction, and a little pricey, but it looks way better than the dull Maier unit that was on the bike to begin with. It doesn't look quite exact though, unless the louvers are cut out, so out to the garage we go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fender1.JPG   Fender2.JPG   Fender3.JPG   Fender4.JPG  
    Last edited by Red Rider; 03-07-2017 at 03:28 AM.

--
    Another 1.5 hours worth of work with the Dremel, hacksaw, files, & utility knife, and we now have a completed fender. A bit of a pain in the ass to do, but the end result makes it totally worth the effort.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fender5.JPG  

--
    When I first brought the Tecate home, I noticed that the nipple for the gas cap's vent hose was snapped off. Tecate gas caps are no longer available from Kawasaki, so I could have searched the used market, or I probably could have found one that fits from a modern bike, but I decided to repair this one instead. It was an easy fix, and only took about an hour to do, and now it's as good as new. Actually it's better than new, as I used the remnant, of an old 8mm bolt from my 250R, to make the new nipple. The new nipple is about 5/8" long, and still has 1/4" of the original 8X1.25mm threads on one end. The rest of the nipple was smooth, until I added 1/4" of 7X1.00mm threads for the vent hose to grip onto. A hole was drilled down through the center of the new nipple, and the gas cap was drilled and tapped with 8X1.25mm threads to accept it. A small batch of epoxy was mixed up, spread onto the nipple's 8X1.25mm threads, then screwed into the gas cap. The remaining epoxy was then spread around the outside of the nipple, and on the inside of gas cap vent hose recess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gas Cap Repair.JPG  

--
    Your attention to detail is incredible, great job. Watch out tightening that stock fuel cap, I've busted 2 of them from tightening them too much. You are right, there is a cap from a different machine that fits but it has slipped my mind. If it comes to me ill post it up. Keep up the great work
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    I finally got around to finishing up the degreasing, sanding, paint prep, & paint on the engine the last few days. I also made a basic engine stand to hold the engine, when it's not in the frame. The new engine stand is already paying dividends, as it securely held the engine in place, thus protecting the new paint, while I installed all new seals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Engine1.JPG  

--
    I just received a set of Hornetpowersports' reproduction shrouds, and they're beautiful! We now have all of the necessary plastic bodywork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shrouds.JPG  

--
    Those are sweet! ^^^

Really nice build, Red Rider.

The second gen T3 is my favorite of all production trikes and I hope to be able to score one to restore someday.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    So its been a while since I've posted here, (wow...9 1/2 years based on my post history), but I started following your thread to see what all the green fuss is about. Looking good, but I think its time for another progress update.
    Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 05-01-2017 at 03:55 PM.
    Current Ride (Purchased new in Oct. 84) - 1985 Honda ATC 250R w/ ESR 310cc big bore kit
    Wife's Ride - 2009 Polaris RZR 800
    Kid's Rides - 2009 Yamaha Raptor 700, 2008 Yamaha Raptor 250
    Former Rides - 1975 Honda XR 75, 1979 Yamaha IT 175, 1978 Honda ATC 90, 1980 Honda ATC 110

got sand?

--
    No progress lately. Been busy with other responsibilities.

--
    Wow, it's been a while. Once my other responsibilities were handled, Summer had set in here in Las Vegas, and I wasn't too motivated to go out in the garage and work on this in 100+ degree temps. It was a little cooler here today, but muggy, so I put in a few hours of work. I got the template, for the aluminum airbox lid trim, finalized, and the trim cut out. The previous owner drilled the lid full of randomly placed holes, thus the aluminum trim to cover that mess up. Eventually this trim will be ventilated in a more aesthetically pleasing manner, then riveted to the airbox lid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lside.JPG   Airbox Lid.JPG  

--
    I approve of this message.

As for ventilation. You've given me some ideas. The link below is an idea.

https://mnpctech.com/case-mods-gamin...ill-black.html
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

--
    Rubbersalt, not my style, plus skeletons give me the heebie jeebies, so do clowns.

--
    They're are many other options. I enjoy a good �� every now and again, but not that 1. It's dumb lol.

Great work btw, I really like where this is going. You may see something similar showing up on my ride lol.
    I just wanna go fast. If your not first, your last!!
    Reproducing the Tecate CDI. Contact me if you need one. I'm most accessible on FaceBook. You can find me on the 1984-1987 Kawasaki Tecate KXT250 Group.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //