//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Inverts?

--

Inverts?

Going to be putting inverts on my 85 R and trying to figure out the best fork option. I'm thinking either valved and springed KTM 85/105 for a 260lb rider or shortened cr125 forks. I've got the VTX trips already. Anybody WITH experience have any input?
    Last edited by 200x newby; 01-24-2017 at 07:40 PM.
    ATC500AF

--
    I have been looking into inverts as well. I believe the KTM forks need sleeves made for the triples so the forks can be tightened in them.
    Trikes Owned:
    1983 Honda 200x - Durablue Axle
    1986 Honda 250r - +2 westcoast
    1984 Honda ATC 70 - Piranha 140 swap
    1983 Honda 200e - Stepdads

--
    I figure there will be some mods that need done to get the forks to fit.
    ATC500AF

--
    No direct experience, but I doubt you will be able to get a set of KTM 85 Forks set up to handle the kind of weight you're talking about. You're likely going to end up with the CR forks.
    It sucks to get old

--
    That is a good point. Decide whether to put some wizardry inside the KTM forks or go through the work of having the cr forks shortened.
    Trikes Owned:
    1983 Honda 200x - Durablue Axle
    1986 Honda 250r - +2 westcoast
    1984 Honda ATC 70 - Piranha 140 swap
    1983 Honda 200e - Stepdads

--
    This is where I'm stuck.
    ATC500AF

--
    I have a set of early 48mm KTM forks I bought by accident (thought they were 43's) They came on the 2002 SX 250 and take a 22mm axle. I paid $300, but would be thrilled to get $200 + shipping if you want to try shortening them. Not sure how much you'd need to go, but I've shortened a set 1.375" with no issues using spacers from Slavens that you could make easily enough. Then you just need to cut the springs to match the change in length. Shimming is another issue, but those forks were considered harsh for lighter riders, so they might be perfect for your weight as they are. These are the non cartridge type, so do it yourselfers can still take them all the way down with fairly basic tools. PM me if interested.
    It sucks to get old

kevin is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    I'm slowly getting mine together have the vtx triples, KTM 85 forks, machined the sleeves to go between forks and triple also made up the bushing that you need the get the 250r stem to work in the vtx triple.
    When I get time I'll install on the bike and see what I'm going to do for front brakes. Once that's all done and our dollar gets better I'm going to strip it back down and send the forks out to get resprung and valved.

--
    I run CR125 forks. I have 1 set at full length that works good with my +3 swingarm. Then I have a set with 6" spacers and cut springs that go with a 4" lowering link for the rear, that I use for TT & ice racing. The spacers were very simple to make. You would probably need 2" or 3" spacers to get your ride height right. I also weigh 260, am running the stock internals with 20wt fork oil. after playing with my compression and rebound adjusters it rides like a dream. Oh and this is on a Z not an R.
    85 Tri-z Power valve on Inverts
    85 Tri-z Basket Case
    01 gsxr750 engine/Tri-z frame (long long way from complete)

--
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverLift View Post
    I run CR125 forks. I have 1 set at full length that works good with my +3 swingarm. Then I have a set with 6" spacers and cut springs that go with a 4" lowering link for the rear, that I use for TT & ice racing. The spacers were very simple to make. You would probably need 2" or 3" spacers to get your ride height right. I also weigh 260, am running the stock internals with 20wt fork oil. after playing with my compression and rebound adjusters it rides like a dream. Oh and this is on a Z not an R.
    Hey..can you throw a Tri Z newbie a bone? If possible could you elaborate on your invert conversion. Can you tell me everything that I would need to know & purchase? What year VTX & model.? My Z has a + 6" swinger. What forks, dia etc..what hubs, brakes, stem modifications and spacers. Also any pros & cons to this conversion. ..anything that would help me or other Tri Z owners in doing a conversion.

I beleive my swinger & linkage to be a 85. I'm 6'0 ,195 lbs, I dont need the inverts.. Im not a jumper nor a racer. I just want them . Gives me something to achieve.

Any input/advice or help is appreciated.
    I need all the help I can get!

--
    So after getting a smoking deal on an entire front clip from an 85SX that is the way I'm going. Now onto my next question, I have the VTX Triples but they do not look like the triples KASEY was using. His look more like Valkyrie Triples, I assume with all the talk both trips are very close to each other. So with that being said... who has used the VTX triples and what kind of machine work was required to fit the 250r stem in them as the VTX stem is HUGE.
    ATC500AF

--
    You have to swap stems and make a bushing for the 250r stem to work in the vtx triple. Pretty easy if you have access to a lathe. I made mine press fit and used red loctite

--
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    You have to swap stems and make a bushing for the 250r stem to work in the vtx triple. Pretty easy if you have access to a lathe. I made mine press fit and used red loctite
    Do you have a picture? What do you have to do for the axle and brakes and hub?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Current Trikes:
    85 350x
    P3 (x2)

Quads:
    2003 Polaris Predator 500
    1988 Yamaha Warrior
    2003 Polaris Predator 90

Previous Trikes:
    84 Honda 110 (parts)
    85 Honda 110
    85 Honda 200x
    87 Honda 200x
    85 Honda 250sx
    KX 80 Trike conversion

Gone and missed:

--
    I have a set of Halls clamps and he shortened the forks and supplied a "kit" so to speak. Very simple to install, just keep your wallet handy.

They are large and stout. I'm glad I didn't waste time on Aprilla or KTM forks although it was a genius idea!!

If you guys are trying to hold bushings in, do not use red loctite; Rather use "cylindrical loctite" which can take up to a .020 (twenty thousandths of slop)...

I've use it in industrial applications for decades.
    Last edited by Dirtcrasher; 02-18-2017 at 01:23 PM. Reason: spelling
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    I didn't use red loctite to take up any slop as I had to use a press to press everything together, could have done without

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //