//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1998 Harley Dyna Carb Question

--

1998 Harley Dyna Carb Question

I replaced the original fuel valve on my 98 harley dyna. It says harley on the carb but its really a Kehein.
    CV Vacuum operated carb. I plugged up the vacuum line and install a fuel valve that is not vacuum operated.
    All my fittings from the gas tank all the way to the carb are snug and dry. I always use an inline fuel filter.
    The bike fires up and runs better with the new fuel valve on it so I put everything back together and figured oh well I'm done all fixed. Much to my surprise fuel was leaking from the drain tube on the float bowl. Eventually it stops leaking with fuel valve off but when I turn fuel valve on it leaks pretty bad. I tried tapping outside of carb where the the float valve is located gently a few times (old trick I learned here) and no go.

So far I have had 2 different mechanics tell me 2 different things. 1st one says there is something stuck in there that's causing the problem, like I said I have two inline fuel filters. One inside the tank and one inline so I highly doubt anything is stuck in there however I could be wrong.

The second one says because the carb is not vacuum operated anymore the float has to be readjusted.
    So before I go removing the carb I would like to hear what your opinion is on this.

I was watching this vid on youtube and don't know if I am going in over my head with this.
    The float has never been touched since 1998. The bike is bone stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6y32Gw5HK4

I dont know if the mechanic locally here is trying to take me for a ride $$

Hit me with your best shot. Thanks man.
    ♠ 58 ♠

▓ ▓
    Ride 3

--
    Sounds like a bad float needle. this should be rubber tipped and if you see a wear mark/groove in the rubber it needs replacing. Do you have a pressure/vacuum tester. Apply 6psi of pressure to the fuel inlet of the carb and it should hold if not you'll need a float needle. The petcock being Vacuum operated vs lever should have no affect on the float height.
    85 Tri-z Power valve on Inverts
    85 Tri-z Basket Case
    01 gsxr750 engine/Tri-z frame (long long way from complete)

--
    I was thinking the same thing. Only thing that threw me off is why it happened when I made this change. Didn't do this before. I will take a look and let you know. I don't have a vacuum tester but will blow into inlet. Do you think most all carb rebuild kits are the same quality ? The James gasket rebuild kits are very high priced.
    ♠ 58 ♠

▓ ▓
    Ride 3

--
    You got me in the cross hairs. Bullseye. It was the float needle. Opened the float bowl with carb still on the bike. Turned on fuel valve. Moved float a few times. Installed the bowl. Turned on fuel valve. No leaks. Thanks never lift.
    ♠ 58 ♠

▓ ▓
    Ride 3

--
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetip2000 View Post
    I have two inline fuel filters. One inside the tank and one inline so I highly doubt anything is stuck in there however I could be wrong
    Even with filters it's amazing how much crud ends up in a float bowl in a short period of time. I don't know if it's because of contaminants bonding to each other after they have passed through the filter, or another theory I plan to post in a bit, but it's weird and it seems to happen bikes more so than trucks and cars which is why I think it's related to trailering.
    It sucks to get old

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //