//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: honda 1983 no spark.

--

honda 1983 no spark.

Hey guys im in need of help. My newly purchased 185s is not running has no battery or electric start. just pull and go. The headlight/ breaklight doesnt even light up when i pull. i could be wrong but i was under the impression they should. i have no dc voltage at my coil. what i did is traces to the engine pulled my connectors coming out of the case and i cant find any voltage. Where can i find what voltage it is supposed to have (6v- 12). ?

--
    Update..on my 83 185s, down loaded and found pdf online. according to the clymers i need to have continuity between the lighting coil and ground (the yellow white wire coming out the case). I do not. i dont know how that would cause loss of spark. being the lights are seprate from ignition system

--
    How'd the rest of the electrical system check out?

--
    Well i have no voltage at all at my coil. so i ruled that out.(no voltage no spark has been what i go by). I allso could not get voltage at my pulsar generator. but i could get my ohm to test it. and it was ok according to my book. I tried to test my ignition coil but couldnt get a ohm reading that made sense. going by the book which was calling for 200+ i dont recall exact number as its my first rodeo. I thi.k im going to have to invest in a different ohm metor.

--
    The coil doesnt get voltage until it is running. It's an AC CDI system.

--
    i was aware of the lights being AC but did not know the coil was also

--
    Ok i am partialy to blame i miss read. How to test the lighting coil. i tested for continuity between the yellow white wire and ground to the engine, and I was supposed to check continuity between the yellow and white and ground (the green wire). So lights tested ok. Kind of had a feeling the exiter coil and lighting coil shoulnt go bad at the same time. the exiter coil had no coninuity though. pulled the fly wheel and low and behold

--
    Ps is there a difference between left and right break leavers or can they interchange?

--
    At least you're getting somewhere now. The brake levers can usually interchange functionally, but since they will be upside down, they will look funny. The bottoms aren't always smooth like the tops and you will be able to see the cable ends. So what part of Nebraska are you from? I'm south and a little west of Kearney. Across the state line of course.

--
    I am south by kansas, infact it just a gew minutes from the line. It not far fro hastings grand island or even kearney is 45min drive from here . (red cloud)

--
    Im looking to get parts for my atc 200e ordered next unfotunately it gana take a litte more money

--
    Cool. Even though I've never been there, I know about where Red Cloud is. North of Smith Center. Maybe after you get yours running, I'll have to bring my 185 up.

--
    Ya there some cool back roads. By the river. i believe its called the republican. a lot of people will drive down the river itself. Idk if its good on the machine.

--
    I found my break leavers on amazon 13.99 for both now the wait till friday

--
    Sounds good. It's not the best for the machine to ride in the river. That being said, I have done it and it is fun.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //