//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I quit

JacobMonster is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

I quit

Thinking about getting out of 3 wheelers.
    Not riding, just these machines.
    Why?
    Because I have finally come to grips with the fact that as much as I would like to be a mechanic, I do not have the time, patience, or skill to do so.
    I know this after many attempts.
    Also, with my personal life, having little free time or money anymore, I'd much rather have a reliable fixed machine, that when I do find that ever so rare free moment to go ride, I can actually go ride and not spend all my time and money fixing broken stuff.
    And will all my friends who are ever so willing to help me fix my bikes, are either fairly busy, or so far away that its almost not worth it.
    On top of that, the one place close enough here that will actually work on these bikes, I dont like.
    And my Honda mechanic no longer has the free time to put into these bikes.

Then with all the drama on the forums in the last few months, and all the crap that went down at Trikefest this year, it has put a "bad" taste in my mouth for the event. Granted, the problems were not from the people of Trikefest. A lot of you are my friends or Im aquainted with and are really good people.
    This all could just be cabin fever and the fact I bought a bike for TF and havent been able to touch it since.
    Or the fact I tore down a perfectly good bike to play mechanic then fell on my face.

What do you guys think?
    I'm torn because I do love these machines. Its just the circumstances don't seem to be right anymore to have them.
    Do you think I just just push through and fix the thing? Or just sell out and come back when I do have the time and money?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

--
    Tore down a 250r engine that I could never figure out how to put back together again.
    Boils down to if I can convince myself its worth the extra $1000 in repairs or if Id rather buy a 2 wheeler or put that towards another bike. I have $400,$500 worth of parts to buy to make it a decent bike. Then I have the top end and crank that'll need rebuilding im sure.
    Yeah, Im crying over spilt milk. Figured either someone would go, "Yeah, sell it and come back to it, you'll enjoy it more later" or "keep it, you'll regret selling the bike".

Note: Simply put, im frustrated with the current status of the bike and I am looking for advice. Because I know theres enough people who have had projects at a tipping point, whether to continue or get rid of it.
    I like taking in as much info as I can before I make a decision and like to see what other people decided in similar situations so I can make the best one for myself

Last edited by JacobMonster; 02-16-2017 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Addition

--
    Knock it off kiddo.

Most of us tore down something we can't remember how to put back together.... Especially at your age. Aren't you in your early 20s?.....Patience and wisdom comes from age and experience. I once "rebuilt" my CR80 Honda the first time in 88 or so... Took a hone and promptly honed right thru the Nikasil coating that I didn't understand so I seized it two hours after initial fire up. Very expensive mistake but what I learned was worth so much more.

I'm trying to make TF this year. You can hang with us again. I'm bring a couple young newbs with trikes with me (unless my daughter's baby birth gets in the way)

You're always welcome at my place Jake.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Definitely don't sell anything. For me when stuff goes south I step away for a bit and relax(blame it on my OCD). Everyone has been there and you just have to push through the problem, then you'll be happy you did. What about some of the members on here reaching out and having them help with your rebuild?
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Stick around Jacob. You're a good kid and a smart kid and I was looking forward to seeing you again at Trikefest this year. I still owe you a better welcome to my camp (didn't know it was him).
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Hi Jacob, its Jacob.

It doesn't matter what you do in life you never know whats around the corner. Anything you choose to do as a hobby has its ups and downs. I myself have 2 trike projects going that i haven't touched, one in 3 years the other in 2. I haven't ridden in months. Due to pouring all of time and money into getting the motor in my Electra rebuilt, and my entire home remodeled at the same time. After taking the car on two 10 mile trips it started knocking. A 3 month, $1700 screwup due to inexperience and bad advice. Mostly bad advice concerning an oil passage and tang on the #1 rod bearing.... My point? The cars getting a big block soon and the house is almost done and i can get back to doing what i love to do.
    I should mention i tore down a perfectly good running Oldsmobile 350 that needed freeze plugs.

There's no "right time", sometimes you just gotta dodge the to catch the apples.
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

--
    Doesn't matter how many wheels your have. This is motor sports. Things break. You're either all the way out or you're not. There's nothing "reliable" after a certain period of time. They say blood sweat and tears for a reason. My advice is don't sell anything. Ever. Unless of extreme circumstances when you need fast cash. But especially don't sell rare pieces of motor sports history.
    If you can't fix something, save up and pay someone who can. There's not many people who can fix their machine top to bottom. I didn't do the bottom end on my r, had a friend do it. Am I ashamed? F no! My trike runs mint lol and what's better than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post

You're always welcome at my place Jake.
    I keep forgetting that for some stupid reason lol. Thanks Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Hondatcs View Post
    Definitely don't sell anything. For me when stuff goes south I step away for a bit and relax(blame it on my OCD). What about some of the members on here reaching out and having them help with your rebuild?
    I do occasionally. Last few months I havent just because the money and time hasn't been there, so i was slowly losing my drive to get the project done.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Stick around Jacob. You're a good kid and a smart kid and I was looking forward to seeing you again at Trikefest this year. I still owe you a better welcome to my camp (didn't know it was him).
    Why thank you. When you hang out with me this year, we'll see if you still think that lol jk

Quote Originally Posted by 83ATC185 View Post
    Hi Jacob, its Jacob.

It doesn't matter what you do in life you never know whats around the corner. Anything you choose to do as a hobby has its ups and downs. I myself have 2 trike projects going that i haven't touched, one in 3 years the other in 2. I haven't ridden in months. Due to pouring all of time and money into getting the motor in my Electra rebuilt, and my entire home remodeled at the same time. After taking the car on two 10 mile trips it started knocking. A 3 month, $1700 screwup due to inexperience and bad advice. Mostly bad advice concerning an oil passage and tang on the #1 rod bearing.... My point? The cars getting a big block soon and the house is almost done and i can get back to doing what i love to do.
    I should mention i tore down a perfectly good running Oldsmobile 350 that needed freeze plugs.

There's no "right time", sometimes you just gotta dodge the to catch the apples.
    Thank you for expressing that, as I'm pretty much in the same boat lol. Ever since TF, every time I'd get $300, $400 the car would take it, my truck would, or some bill. I just needed the kick in the butt to get going again and I have it now.

--
    It took me 5 yrs to finish my 200X because of money that needed to go to other more pressing projects and bills. At one point, I lost interest in it and pushed it to the back of the garage after my wreck and didn't touch it for three yrs until my son reminded me that I promised to take him to Trikefest someday. So I figured I would at least finish it to make good on my promise and I'm glad I did. What a great experience that was!

Just put it away and don't look at it for awhile if it's getting on your nerves. It doesn't cost anything to shelve it for a bit till you get back your three-wheeler mojo

Off road machines are expensive and break alot as mentioned by someone else above so that's something you'll never get away from.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Take everything and box it up nice, stash it away in that dark corner of the garage, and go about life for a while. I think everyone has stuff that gets to them now and then, i can tell you i have walked away from projects more times then i can count, but eventually i come back and appreciate the fact i didn't get rid of it. If its bugging you seeing it all the time thats where stashing it away comes in. I have motors torn down and cleaned up and stored in bags and buckets that eventually i will get the time and money to finish, i wouldn't ever want to sell them though for the simple fact that at the rate at which stuff ages and appreciates in value due to trying to find it again that i would rather have a bucket full of parts to come back to then endlessly searching for another one.

Hence i have what i call the litter bucket collection. Cat litter buckets with lids, cleaned out and made into nice storage buckets for parts. Cases get wrapped in plastic if they don't fit and get sat on top of said bucket full of its guts. Tearing it down and doing all the cleaning is the long hard part for me, getting the parts and putting it back together goes pretty fast when the money presents itself.

I stepped away from the forums for over a year, just slowly coming back now and then now. I got separated, moved, and divorced, and managed to keep everything as well as my happiness that grew afterwards. I still haven't got back to finishing some of those projects, but its nice to have one to pull out on a cold winters day when i'm bored out of my mind.

Take a break, it will all happen in time.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--
    ^ agree
    I quit and come back to hobbies all the time. I do what I find interesting at the time. My only regrets are selling something I wish I just stashed away for a rainy day. Don't let it stress u out, life is short

--
    Agree with everyone else, but will add to do what is best for you. If that means taking a break, asking for help, paying someone to do it for you, selling your trikes to buy a reliable bike or quad, or better yet a trike conversion. Only you know what's best for you. At least take some time to think about it. Good luck on whatever decision you make.
    Trikes owned:
    83 Honda 200x "Liquid X"
    81 DG 250r : Sold

--
    Take a step back Jacob. We all have been down this road from one time or another... I know I have. I have a monster truck R/C that is collecting dust.

Don't sell anything unless it is the last resort.

I did not even ride my dirtybike this year. Enjoyed the trike too much. Got out when I could.

I think cabin fever set in.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    Once you get a trike together CORRECTLY, it's of my (and many others) opinion they are extremely reliable!!

Trikefest seems as if it took a bad turn last year and IDK if I'll ever go there again.

Pete got fired, the old lady received the same fate and I've read that there will be no night riding, (there goes barrel racing and the shoe tree) and the cleanest bath we could get in the river will be a walk now. Fabio has a legal road trike so he's all set and others can all jump in the back of a truck; But it doesn't seem as if it will be the way it's been for many years. Maybe we just got lucky at Haspins with the management they had because I have heard about the rules at other places such as "Badlands".

Like a few others, I always preferred to go for a 10 round trip since it's a nearly 900 mile trip for me.

Also, I am fully committed to the NEEDT series beginning this year in the 3rd week of April. Ever subsequent race appears to be at the end of each month.

I can only travel so much due to a business at home I need to be home for certain portions of this....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    Once you get a trike together CORRECTLY, it's of my (and many others) opinion they are extremely reliable!!

Trikefest seems as if it took a bad turn last year and IDK if I'll ever go there again.

Pete got fired, the old lady received the same fate and I've read that there will be no night riding, (there goes barrel racing and the shoe tree) and the cleanest bath we could get in the river will be a walk now. Fabio has a legal road trike so he's all set and others can all jump in the back of a truck; But it doesn't seem as if it will be the way it's been for many years. Maybe we just got lucky at Haspins with the management they had because I have heard about the rules at other places such as "Badlands".
    That was part of the issue. It was my Dad's first TF. Since we had mechanical failures, we didn't get to enjoy those events and doesn't seem like we will.
    Course I dont see quite how they will stop those festivities as I thought nobody was ever around at night.
    The River getting taken away and the apparent crack heads who wander amongst the crowd steal everybodys stuff just sucked. I will most likely go back this year, as one bad year shouldnt spoil the entire idea, atleast for me. Hopefully it will be better this year.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //