//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 86 atc 250sx

--

86 atc 250sx

Im new to this but need help i got this trike and kicked it and you here a loud tick and the engine isnt running im gonna be tearing the engine down saturday any ideas? Also it has been sitting for awhile

--
    Do you mean that the engine doesn't turn over when you kick it? Before you tear into it, be sure to get a service manual. Either buy one or download one at oscarmayer.net. You'll be glad you did.

--
    No it will turn over it just sounds like the piston is hitting something afraid to start cuz i feal it would cause engine damage and yes i will have to find one

--
    research one way bearings......maybe that is the sound you hear?

--
    I took the top end off and i noticed the rings were wore and it looked like it had been burning oil at one time it dosent look bad on the inside the valves have been shimmed i can tell but i dont see anything else out of order so i put it all back together may take the clutch side cover off to see if its comeing from there any other ideas?

--
    Sounds like a worn out timing chain to me .
    Fairly common noise from that style motor
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    I will try that cuz it sounds more on the top end then the bottom i will let you know how it goes

--
    Possible that the spark plug was hitting the top of piston? Buddy of mine had a harley that he had accidentally put a longer threaded plug into and it was smacking the top of the piston when ever the piston reached tdc, just an idea.

--
    I went ahead and bought a timeing change and put it in i kicked it over and i still hear the noise i cant use elctric start cuz its not getting fire to the starter i dont think but im gonna look in the clutch side and does anybody know about the valve clearence gap how much do these engine require?

--
    If you replaced the timing chain you would have completely removed the clutch
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Atc 123 View Post
    I went ahead and bought a timeing change and put it in i kicked it over and i still hear the noise...
    Wow, I'm impressed. Decide to replace the timing chain, go to dealer and purchase from stock they have on hand, back to shop, install, and report back on here within 25 hours is very impressive. Wish I could work that efficiently
    1985 Honda ATC 250ES
    1985 Honda ATC 250SX
    1984 Honda ATC 200M
    1983 Honda ATC 200
    1984 Honda ATC 110

--
    I was looking around in there and i noticed that the kickstarter gear was missing some teeth so i kicked it with the cover off and it was makeing the ticking sound the gears are slamming the teeth and it sound like screching metal i did find another problem after i had that figured out i started it the sound was gone but i tried to ride it just around the yard and it was acting funny like a unsual vibration in the back i went to bring it back i turned it the wheel locked up it about flipped me but it wont release any ideas im not familer with the rear part of these at all thanks for all the replies tho its been a great help

--
    Might sound stupid but i dont know anything here so i jacked it up in the back and took the oil or grease plug out and stuck a little peice of metal to see if the gears were turning and the were no notching on that peice of metal and i didnt hear anything so im unsure if its in the rear end or in the transmission but wheels will not turn its like there hung up on something

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //