//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The plan

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    That brake does appear massive, yes, but like everything else it's all relative. I went with him about two years ago to pick that brake up with the lowbed. Coincidentally, the guy that sold him the brake is also the guy who posted the ad on Craigslist for the steel stock I've been buying. I realized it as I arrived last week to pick up my stock. It's a shop right in Middleboro center Steve. They were lifting the brake with a huge forklift that was struggling to get the brake up in the air high enough for me to back under it. In the end it took three fork lifts to get the brake up in the air. It was hairy, but we got it.

Mr Clancy had a bumper he was finishing at his shop there that made me second guess making my own. I was super impressed. It was bent up really nice, all one piece, and it must have been at least 1/4". It was extremely thick. He had to bring it somewhere else to use a bigger brake for that one. I'm sure my bumper will come out fine, but wow that one he made was extremely impressive!
    Well, you probably don't need allot of stock; But, If you do, Middleboro Auto Salvage has 1/8th, 3/16ths and 1/4 thick steel anywhere from 2"s wide to 8"s and 6' long or longer, and big square flat plate as well. I know exactly where to find it and I grabbed ALLOT and he charged me 30$. I can direct you to it if it's something you need...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    I'm honored to have you all as friends, truly humbling the words you all are gracing my thread with! Thank you all so much for your support!

Great song Keisters! I will be adding that to my music collection and you bet your silly arses I'll be by to see yous guys! Thanks so much for the offer!

Spent a good chunk of the day on errands, and what daylight I was able to make use of was spent almost entirely on the wiring harness for all of the added lights. Adding a total of 8 lights in this round, and making a harness from scratch is very tedious and time consuming work. Also the sun is still setting really early here, so I have to cut things off fairly early in the evening. Left side fender is fully lit and I'll do the right side tomorrow. Nothing really exciting.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    If anyone happens to come across a dual alternator kit for a 7.3, or "ambulance package", please let me know. Thanks!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Check at bus junk yards they might have some
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    If anyone happens to come across a dual alternator kit for a 7.3, or "ambulance package", please let me know. Thanks!
    Have you tried the Facebook page "O.B.S Ford Trucks 1980-1997"? I see guys from time to time parting out old 7.3 ambulances. I mean really all you would need is the belt, part of the harness, and the dual very expensive alternators. I just put an alternator in my thunderbird last night, $80. Correct me if I'm wrong but those 215 amp alternators are like $600 or something crazy like that. I haven't looked it up though.

I'm not sure how you feel about Facebook but search some pages, you find a lot of good deals and harder to find stuff.

--

The plan

I'm off the book right now, but thank you.

These alternators are not super expensive as you're suggesting. First of all, I already have one. I priced the lower alternator and it is actually fairly cheap for a standard output alternator. I don't need high output alternators, the one I have now does the job. What I do need is the redundancy of having two alternators if one calls in sick. The added amperage output would be a bonus.
    Last edited by fabiodriven; 02-27-2017 at 11:03 AM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--

The plan

I've had some progress over the last two days. It's still not warm enough to paint the new fenders, so those have a nice coat of surface rust on them. I've been working to button up a small oil leak when ironically another unrelated oil leak sprang up. The oil pan gasket has decided to go full blown Valdez, it's bad. I've penciled myself in for me to fix it next Monday, according to the weather forecast anyways. We'll see how it looks as the time draws closer.

I spent yesterday and today getting my west coast mirrors on. The factory 99 Super Duty mirrors are garbage even when new and you can't see dick-all in them. The spot mirrors are too small and not adjustable and the regular rear view glass doesn't provide much of a good view at all. The subsequent year Super Duties had drastically improved mirrors which are a bolt on upgrade for any year Super Duty, however those mirrors will cost you $500-$1000 for a good set. You can get knock offs with plastic fun house mirrors in them for less money, but they're really crappy. My personal preference is for west coast mirrors over any grade or generation of Super Duty mirror, so that's what I went with.

The mirrors themselves with all the mounts were almost $140 for the pair to start with, then with a Super Duty you need the "blanks" to fill in where the factory Super Duty mirrors mount. These are available new from Ford for the F-650, which shares the same cab as the Super Duty series. The blanks were roughly $120 for the pair.

I had to cut down 4 of the mounting arms that came in the mirror kit for the lower arms that hold the mirrors and then weld them back together. The mirrors would have been way too far out to the sides otherwise. The hardware that came with the mirrors was garbage so I spent another $25 on all stainless hardware from the store. In the end I'm extremely happy with how they look although I've not yet driven the truck with them on there. West coast mirrors are what I'm used to peering into all day so I don't doubt they'll be great.

On the immediate schedule are the oil leak, body lift, bumper, and parking brake, all subject to weather at the moment unfortunately.

Last edited by fabiodriven; 03-01-2017 at 06:44 PM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    I love that truck! It looks like a bulldog on steroids.

--

The plan

Thank you trip-D!

I was doing some research on oil pan gasket replacement on this truck and as it turns out it's actually referred to as "the dreaded" oil pan gasket replacement. I read last night another possible location where oil could be leaking from that's much easier to repair, however upon removal of my starter this morning it appears I will be conducting the dreaded oil pan gasket replacement.

In order to get the oil pan off enough to work on, the cab and engine must be jacked up. Timing for this is good because I was planning on doing a body lift and replacing the cab mounts anyways. There is no actual gasket there, but rather a two part adhesive that makes the oil pan very difficult to remove and then clean. The Ford/IH adhesive is the best option for this application and I'll have to get my hands on some of that.

I'm not looking forward to doing this but the timing is absolutely optimum. My engine has it's fair share of baked on diesel oil and crud from 265,000 miles of use and I was thinking I'd like to get it all cleaned up and sealed tightly anyways so it didn't look so motley under the hood. Once I have a nice span of a few days where I can use the Buell as my wheels I'll rip into this truck for some fairly major surgery and it will emerge tight and clean.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    It's just easier to pull the engine and lay it on its top and clean it up good cause it's not a job you want to do twice even tho it's not all that hard. Ford pan did at one time come with the navistar sealant( JB weld in a tube). But I don't think they do any more check with IH to see if there pans come with the good IH sealer
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    At least the oil pan gasket is merely "dreaded". I am still paying on a truck that runs perfect, but needs the "FRIGGIN" cam chain and tensioners replaced to make the CEL go bye bye so it will pass inspection. About $300 in parts, and over $1,500 in labor. At least you are ambitious and knowledgeable enough to fix nearly anything you own.

--
    I just ordered the right stuff Specht and you are correct, it's no longer two part.

As far as removing the engine, from what I've read removing the engine is the most popular and "correct" way to go about this, however I don't have a hoist or a stand and this engine is extremely heavy. I just did some more reading and there are plenty of people who have done this with the engine in the truck. I'm completely confident I will be capable of doing this job with the engine in the truck. Some guys are even able to get the pan out of the truck with the engine still in there, in which case if I am capable of doing that I see no reason why I won't be able to pull this off.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by tripledog View Post
    At least the oil pan gasket is merely "dreaded". I am still paying on a truck that runs perfect, but needs the "FRIGGIN" cam chain and tensioners replaced to make the CEL go bye bye so it will pass inspection. About $300 in parts, and over $1,500 in labor. At least you are ambitious and knowledgeable enough to fix nearly anything you own.
    My father did that job last year on his Exploder Sport Track (give him a break, he lives in Hawaii). He said it was an absolutely awful job to tackle.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    The only problem with doing it in the truck is getting the pickup tube on and not getting gasket sealer all over your arms in the process. I've done one in the truck and many out of the truck but I understand not having the tools to pull the engine.

--
    I keep reading about getting the dipstick tube in simultaneously as well Specht. I wonder if I can get someone to guide the dipstick tube while I put the pan up.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //