//ArrowChat Code
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The plan

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    Bumper? I don't even know her...

--
    Dang dude, sweet work on that front bumper! Looks super heavy duty. No deer damage to that guy I suspect.
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    Looking good�� Has for your oil pan just pull the motor and lay it on its back with the frt back alittle bit to keep what ever oil drips from inside the motor from running out and clean the out of the gasket surfaces on both the pan and the block and use the navistar silicone to reseal it that is like JB weld. Make sure you get enough around the frt cover and rear cover areas. Being your truck is a 6speed you will have to pull the clutch off to get the motor out cause there isn't enough room between the cab and the crossmember to get the engine out with out getting medieval on it and possibly braking more parts.
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    Wow nice work

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Thanks guys! Specht I'm not going to remove this engine and I will get it sealed. It has been done and I will do it as well.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    One of the nicest things about a bumper like that is it will be like having a table or step ladder right on the front of your truck! You could bolt anything you want to that if you need to. I understand the amount of work it took to build that and you did a great job. Awesomeness!

--
    I agree. That bumper is sweet!

--
    Now who's referencing old school Military applications? that bumper looks like it's off an old deuce and a half; and I LOVE it! I'm changing the word "fabrication" to fabio-cation. Bravo my friend!
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    He owned a Deuce; I thought it was great!!

I'm sure it's archived here somewhere....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    I've got a few electrical issues I'm going to start tackling on this truck. The first is a draw. The following link is to a thread on a Ford truck forum I started looking for answers about this draw. The circumstances are certainly odd and not like any electrical problem I've tackled before, but then again most electrical problems are. If some of the minds here wouldn't mind taking a peek I'd be very grateful.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post17220420
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Sounds to me like a new GEM and 2 good batteries and you'll be good to go.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    I am more and more convinced that electricity is black magic

--
    My next step will be to check the radio which is also on the same circuit. That's actually what my next intended step was until I got distracted by the GEM box. It's entirely feasible that the radio deck could be the problem.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Sounds like a relay or contactor not having enough OR getting too low of a voltage to complete the connection.

The only thing almost every vehicle has in common with the batteries out would be a small battery in the radio or clock.

The GEM seems to have a timer of sorts. How even a capacitor could store energy that long seems unfeasible. But, if it did have any voltage left it would be low and I can envision a contactor/relay trying to close via an underpowered coil in terms of voltage.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--

The plan

I ended up forking over $400 for a new GEM module. The only other option was a used, untested module with no guarantees whatsoever. In my eyes, it just didn't make any sense to buy a used module that could have the very same problem mine does, or best case scenario would have already lived most of it's useful life. The module arrived today and I've yet to install it, I still need to find out if it needs to be programmed by the dealer before I put it in. The new module also has a lifetime warranty.

Just about every aspect of this truck will be upgraded or brought back to factory operational status by the time I'm done. Last week I wanted to address the HVAC blower which worked on certain speeds when it wanted to sometimes, but other days it wouldn't work at all. I figured I'd replace the blower motor resistor and work from there. What I found was yet another reminder of the age of this truck. The old resistor was rusted to shite. The plastic plug was melted and weathered/welded to the resistor itself. I had to break the resistor apart and cut the plug right off of the truck's wiring harness. A trip to the local scrap yard learned me that this was far from an isolated incident, as every Super Duty in the yard had the very same affliction.

To the parts store I went where I bought a brand new resistor as well as some nice female blade connectors to rebuild my harness. After all that, still no blower. As it turned out, the blower motor was no good either. Now all is nicey new and functional.

Today I ventured out to the garage to do some turbo upgrades. I ordered a Riffraff Diesel compressor wheel, a Banks Power Elbow, and an Airaid cold air intake. What I've quickly learned working on this truck is the differences between an early 99 Super duty and a 99.5-03 Super Duty. My truck is an early 99, so there are very few options for a cold air intake. I had to return my Airaid unit because it simply wouldn't work. My best option now is to make my own cold air intake, of which I will do very soon. I did get the compressor wheel and Power Elbow installed however.

The Banks Power Elbow is installed in place of the factory Ford EBPV, which is an exhaust flap used to warm up the truck faster. The EBPV is very restrictive however, as well as the factory 3" down pipe. The Banks Power Elbow eliminates the EBPV and replaces the factory 3" down pipe with a 4" unit which should help significantly in the reduction of EGT's.

The compressor wheel isn't as much of an upgrade as one might imagine. I replaced mine more because the factory compressor wheel had a lot of wear on the leading edge of the fins and just wasn't looking so great. It was due.

Downfalls of the early 99 in this episode-

Turbo must be removed for compressor wheel installation.

Downpipe is a tiny 3" as opposed to the slightly better 3.5" of later years.

No aftermarket support for cold air intake.

85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //