//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 85 YTM 225 DX help

--

85 YTM 225 DX help

Okay new to this forum. Name is James and I just bought a 85 YTM 225DX yesterday. I bought it to fix it up and my biggest problem is when I am riding it it goes into 1st and 2nd gear just fine and that is it. I shift up and its like there isn't anything there. I have already did the adjustment on the right side of the case and still didn't give me 3rd,4th or 5th gear. I am already thinking I will have to open up the split the case but hoping someone might know of something else I could look at. I don't have any spare parts or know anyone around me with the same trike. Also where is the best place to find parts for these. ThanksClick image for larger version. 

Name:	.021.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	239938Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.023.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	239939
    Last edited by gnarlyrider; 02-21-2017 at 01:03 AM.

YamaBoss is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    That's actually a 225DR which is worth more and not as common as a 225DX. You should be able to find the parts you need on eBay. Most motor parts are a direct swap with a timberwolf and bear tracker four wheeler.

--
    Okay sweet. Thanks for correcting me on that. I am still trying to figure out what the problem could be. Knowing that a timberwolf and bear tracker four wheeler will work for parts that makes it a bit easier. ( So I just found a few things on Ebay. One is a almost complete bottom end for 200 plus shipping and the other is all the gears and parts from the transmission for 80 bucks) Taking the trike to work tomorrow to have a Co worker check it out and see what he thinks it might be. I will probably go ahead and buy the gears and other trans parts.
    Last edited by gnarlyrider; 02-22-2017 at 12:28 AM.

--
    I would hold off buying the gears. What if it just something simple like a shifting pin bent. I have a 1984 parts wheeler, not sure if the parts are the same. I also met a guy today that has a 4wheeler parts bike, I sure he would let it go cheap. He was going to trade me a honda z50a project for it and plus a 200 three wheeler for it. But I passed.

Look like you and I are only 3 hours apart.

Tom
    Folsom, CA

--
    So I still can't figure out what the problem is. Everyone I have taken it to says needs new transmission and such. At this point I almost want to find a 2 stroke quad and do a engine/ swing arm swap just so I can go ride. Hard to do any riding when 2nd gear is the highest it will go haha. dt400rider I am unsure if your 84 would work.

--
    Well the bike was ridden hard because from what I have seen almost everything is wore out or broken. I had a buddy that builds bikes for pro riders look at it and he said it feels like a broken shift fork and the drive shaft is wore out. When I got it it barley had oil in it so unsure how long if at all it was ridden with low oil.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarlyrider View Post
    So I still can't figure out what the problem is. Everyone I have taken it to says needs new transmission and such. At this point I almost want to find a 2 stroke quad and do a engine/ swing arm swap just so I can go ride. Hard to do any riding when 2nd gear is the highest it will go haha. dt400rider I am unsure if your 84 would work.
    I don't think you realize how much work it would be converting a SHAFT driven sport/utility trike into a chain drive two stroke engine meant for performance.
    VS.
    Replacing a broken/bent shift fork and some well needed maintenance.

If you need parts, I have plenty of engine parts and other misc stuff. I've slowly been selling off my 225 stash.

--
    you need to pull the clutch cover off and the main clutch pack and take pictures so we can see what is going on just had someone who dealt with a similar issue on facebook ytm page and it turned out was just part of the shift pawl assembly that went bad open and look before you start buying parts. also I have done a chain drive in shaft frame build on one of these is quite the adventure
    rectum nothin damn near killed them
    feel free to leave feed back for me here. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...06#post1119306

--
    Quote Originally Posted by muthey View Post
    you need to pull the clutch cover off and the main clutch pack and take pictures so we can see what is going on just had someone who dealt with a similar issue on facebook ytm page and it turned out was just part of the shift pawl assembly that went bad open and look before you start buying parts. also I have done a chain drive in shaft frame build on one of these is quite the adventure
    I will try and crack that open this weekend. Its been killing me to only ride in 2nd gear. I have only been doing little things around the house with it but have buddies wanting to go trail riding before we get snow so hoping its a easy quick fix.

--
    Well I got it apart and it was a broken Shift drum selector. I just ordered a new one. Still looking for cheap used parts though. Looking for a head light assembly, rear fender or even a complete fender set.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //