//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Fork leg fluid volume for 1983 ATC 185s

--

Fork leg fluid volume for 1983 ATC 185s

Hello everyone.

I have a manual which states that the fork oil capacity for an ATC 200S/200M is 3.0 oz or 88cc.. I have a 1983 185s. To me it appears as though the fork units are identical. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Does anyone have a specific oil/fluid which has worked well?

Thanks for any and all pertinent information.

Bernard

--
    I believe it is the same capacity, i can confirm later. I just use ATF.
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!!!!!

TRIKES:
    86 250r
    85 250sx
    86 250sx
    84 Yamaha 225DX - Bruins Trike
    85 Yama 225DX - The Rental!
    150cc Piranha powered 70
    110cc Lifan 70
    82 70
    83 ALT 50 Trail Buddy
    88 Yamaha BW 80
    84 z50

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Do the forks compress to easily for you?

Does the front end sit too low for you?

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

--
    Thanks for the help redsox.

barnett468 - I don't know that I'd say that they compress too easily or that the front end sits too low for me, but the damping (both compression and rebound) seems minimal... For instance, if I compare the "feel" of the forks to that of my short travel mountain bikes, I'd say that the travel feels rather crude. Of course I do realize that we are talking about a different type of vehicle, but, I want to at least try to optimize what is available. I have a reasonable understanding of Suspension function, but I don't know what is available to optimize these old trikes. Even if a good old rebuild is all that is possible, then I'll do that. I have heard that the folks at RaceTech can do good things, so I may send in the forks to them.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard3rd View Post
    barnett468 - I don't know that I'd say that they compress too easily or that the front end sits too low for me, but the damping (both compression and rebound) seems minimal... For instance, if I compare the "feel" of the forks to that of my short travel mountain bikes, I'd say that the travel feels rather crude. Of course I do realize that we are talking about a different type of vehicle, but, I want to at least try to optimize what is available.
    Ok, well the word "crude" does not really describe a problem . If they easily bottom out then they are to soft.

If they compress half way or more when you sit on it they are sitting too low.

If you can feel then top out hard when going off a jump the rebound damping is too soft.

If you have any of these issues and want to fix them, I, as well as a couple others here can tell you how to do that but the info will partially be based on the assumption that your existing fork oil was close to the stock viscosity and the level was close to stock and the springs are stock.

If you put the bike on a stand with the front end in the air then try to pull the axle forward and you can feel the lower fork tubes move, there is some wear in the bushings and/or the tube.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

--
    Barnett468,

I can appreciate your assertion that my having used the word crude is, well, a crude way of describing suspension. To clarify: the feel of the fork is that it blows through the travel too quickly and rebounds also too quickly though I haven't felt any harsh bottoming or topping out. My suspicion is that the fluid level is depleted. I can't say that I sense any play in the bushings either. I've owned the 3 wheeler for less than a year and purchased it from the original owner, so I don't know for sure, but my sense is that all of the internals of the fork are original and that it hasn't ever been rebuilt, but I don't know for sure.

At the moment, I've let my uncle borrow my 3 wheeler, but when I again have possession of it, I'll pay close attention to the areas which you have detailed for me, and perhaps you wouldn't mind if I contact you at that time?

Thanks so much!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //