//ArrowChat Code

Thread: repairing melted plastic?

--

repairing melted plastic?

Going to look at some plastic for my build. anyways, the exhaust melted / deformed a spot. has anyone successfully smoothed out plastic with a heat gun? or otherwise? its not melted through, but it is deformed...

--
    I don't know much about them, but supposedly harbor freight has plastic welders.

HondaRidr is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I have bent plastic using a heat gun to heat it up

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

--
    I made these vents using a heat gun
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	240248

Not a great photo but you get the idea. They are bent up like the aftermarket 1st gen R fender.
    82 250r
    83 Big Red
    85 Auto-x
    If you've done business with me please leave me feedback
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ght=Bren_downe

--
    Quote Originally Posted by OldNo437 View Post
    Going to look at some plastic for my build. anyways, the exhaust melted / deformed a spot. has anyone successfully smoothed out plastic with a heat gun? or otherwise? its not melted through, but it is deformed...
    I think these skins are made of HDPE or Polypropylene and you can definitely soften and bend that material with a heat gun,,,, problem there is the (CONTROL) factor which can be very difficult; gotta remember that these were molded with very high heat under allota pressure until they were cooled and that's what keeps their form,,,, which also has some "memory".... I have actually used the harbor freight "plastic welder" with HDPE and had pretty good luck using a metal spoon to help control the filler I was using. The welder worked for a couple of hours and then quit,,,,they replaced it and after another couple hrs I could tell it was on the downhill so I took it back and got my money back. practice on sumthin cheaper than those old skins like a five gal bucket and let us know how ya did!! W~

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //