//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: DG RCM1 exhaust mod for 350X

--
    Nice mods. I hate those DGs. I don't even know why they put a screen in them like that will slow down soundwaves thru a 2 inch hole straight through it. It's a resonator.

Thanks for the disassembly tip too. Clever hide behind the tag.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--

thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Nice mods. I hate those DGs. I don't even know why they put a screen in them like that will slow down soundwaves thru a 2 inch hole straight through it. It's a resonator.

Thanks for the disassembly tip too. Clever hide behind the tag.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

I just copied this and ordered the quiet core for the HMF and ordered the packing for the FMF. Hope it's as easy as you guys say.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by lafayette350x View Post
    I just copied this and ordered the quiet core for the HMF and ordered the packing for the FMF. Hope it's as easy as you guys say.
    I'm gonna do a tear down with pics hopefully Sunday. While your waiting go buy a stainless steel sink screen from Home Depot. Like 5$. We'll build you a spark arresstor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranvier is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Let us know how it goes. I want to try this.

--
    Any updates on this. A build thread would be awesome.
    Trikes owned:
    83 Honda 200x "Liquid X"
    81 DG 250r : Sold

Ranvier is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Last time I was checked, they wanted to see the usfs approved spark arrestor stamp which my supertrapp has.

That said, I still want to do this mod once the other x is running for noise reduction.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by x-rider View Post
    Any updates on this. A build thread would be awesome.
    I'll do a quick tear down with pics maybe this week. Been busy with riding and work. Also 3 kids.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranvier View Post
    Last time I was checked, they wanted to see the usfs approved spark arrestor stamp which my supertrapp has.

That said, I still want to do this mod once the other x is running for noise reduction.
    I just went to a park run by rangers who check. He looked did the stick test and said "nice three wheeler. HAvent seen one that clean in a while. Have fun"

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Powell View Post
    I just went to a park run by rangers who check. He looked did the stick test and said "nice three wheeler. HAvent seen one that clean in a while. Have fun"

How many decibels?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranvier View Post
    How many decibels?
    95 db

--

DG RCM1 exhaust mod for 350X

So this is a long over due. I tore this down to replace my spark arrestor ( had a ranger question placement apparently it needs to be after the packing. Mine was In front. He still let me pass through and ride. Just asked me to fix it before I came back) so here we go with pics

Drill these rivets out there 1/4"

Remove plate

Remove set screw

There's a c clip buried in there holding muffler body in. I use a small flat screwdriver to pop it out and grab it with pliers

Pull body out. You can see where I put my old spark arrestor. That's a 5$ sink strainer from Home Depot molded to fit. Worked fine but I guess it's supposed to be AFTER the packing. I never knew. Had a lot of ranger look at my bike and never question it. No big deal. Move it to the other end. I owe 3ww a build thread anyways.

You can see how I back bolted the turn down through the body. The quite core is sandwiched in between the body and the turn down

Here's the quiet core. I had to cut it down to about 3" It was longer than the muffler body when I got it. HMF said it should be about 40% of the muffler body length. 3" seems fine.

Here's my new HMF legal spark arrestor quiet core fits under that. All gets wedged under the turn down. This is all bought from HMF off amazon ,quiet core turn down and spark arrestor ,for about 50$

Reverse process. Ride and enjoy your now forest legal DG exhaust. On heavy modded machines I wouldn't run the core. Always spark arrestor and turn Down. It reduces the flow from 1 5/8" to 1 1/4". That's a lot! It did put a damper on my top end but gave me bottom end grunt.
    Next year I'm going to do a 400ex header and a FMF q4 muffler. This is temporary but works well and sounds good.

Last edited by Shawn Powell; 05-29-2017 at 03:29 PM.

--

DG RCM1 exhaust mod for 350X

Also this has nothing to do with this mod but does concern this exhaust. I have been getting a leak at the header to muffler connection. With DG there is no gasket there and with the aluminum system there is no clamp. Friction fit. Well after 1500 miles(that's verified via gps) and 2 years it's a bit loose. I tried bronze silicone burn right up. So I made two 3/4" long slits with my dremel and bought a Hose clamp to crush it down. Also used black silicone this time. (700 degree) we will see how time takes it. But hisnis how my 400ex connection is and doesn't leak after 15 years. Enjoy.

--
    Thanks, Shawn. Very informative.

--
    Thanks for the pics and info. Will try it.

--
    Sweet tip. I may try this mod. Thanks for sharing.
    Trikes owned:
    83 Honda 200x "Liquid X"
    81 DG 250r : Sold

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //