//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: DG RCM1 exhaust mod for 350X

--
    I lost track. I was searching for this thread and then I thought you had switched to a SuperTrapp? I can't decide if I should do this mod for my 86 200x or the universal Supertrapp. Thoughts? Thanks!

Kevin
    Real men ride trikes!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by shindig View Post
    I lost track. I was searching for this thread and then I thought you had switched to a SuperTrapp? I can't decide if I should do this mod for my 86 200x or the universal Supertrapp. Thoughts? Thanks!

Kevin
    I ended up switching over to a universal SupertrApp. Kept my dg pipe as it’s larger than the OEM, had a custom mid pipe bent and used a 1.75” SupertrApp and have ended up at 10 plates. Runs great sounds ok and much quieter than the dg even with the baffle. Baffle I made was definitely cheaper. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

--
    cool mod for an otherwise garbage pipe. i despise dg exhaust. not even gonna capitalize dg lol

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Powell View Post
    I ended up switching over to a universal SupertrApp. Kept my dg pipe as it’s larger than the OEM, had a custom mid pipe bent and used a 1.75” SupertrApp and have ended up at 10 plates. Runs great sounds ok and much quieter than the dg even with the baffle. Baffle I made was definitely cheaper. Good luck.

Ok, that's what I thought. If I order the SuperTrapp, do you know the size I would get for a 2nd Gen 200X? Also, did you take your bike in to the muffler shop or just have them add the mid pipe? I don't know what to do...lol.
    Real men ride trikes!

--
    Ok, that's what I thought. If I order the SuperTrapp, do you know the size I would get for a 2nd Gen 200X? Also, did you take your bike in to the muffler shop or just have them add the mid pipe? I don't know what to do...lol.
    I think 1.75 was the smallest one they made. I would think whatever your head pipe is do that or the next size up. My dg header was 1 5/8” so made sense. And I took the whole bike to the muffler shop. They bent it up with a piece of stainless in about 20 minutes for 30$. I wrapped my whole system in black fiberglass exhaust wrap also. Covers up any ugly spots.

--
    I'm wondering if I could just cut the DG exhaust end off and clamp the SuperTrapp exhaust over the steel mid section and then have the bracket welded to the exhaust. Or just do nothing...lol.
    Real men ride trikes!

--
    Could just use a supertrapp pipe? or find like a yoshi or duncan for pretty much any 350-450 atv and make it work. you can make almost any silencer fit and look good with the right tools and ingenuity

--
    Hey Shawn, on the DG conversion, what is the diameter of the turn down on your 350X? I'll have to check my 200X when I get home, but not sure if they are the same diameter or not. So to do all this, I need the HMF turn down (not sure what size, but looks like on Amazon they are all the same size), HMF quiet core and FMF 4 stroke packing? And then I can buy or build a spark arrestor?

Thanks again.
    Kevin
    Real men ride trikes!

--
    Hey Shawn, on the DG conversion, what is the diameter of the turn down on your 350X? I'll have to check my 200X when I get home, but not sure if they are the same diameter or not. So to do all this, I need the HMF turn down (not sure what size, but looks like on Amazon they are all the same size), HMF quiet core and FMF 4 stroke packing? And then I can buy or build a spark arrestor?

Thanks again.
    Kevin
    I think it was about 3.5” , not sure and it’s packed away in the rafters. And there was only one size hmf turn down when I did mine. With that same stuff on amazon hmf has a spark arrestor for that setup if you wanna save some time.

Link
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JX...czL&ref=plSrch
    This is what I bought to do the whole thing. I would bet dg uses the same can for all the models.

--
    Thanks again Shawn. I ordered those 3 up above plus the 4 stroke packing. Came to $92, but I had $32 in Amazon points, so really $60. When I get everything and start the process, I'll probably have some questions. Appreciate your insight. Most parks around here don't require a spark arrestor, or they just turn a blind eye. My 250R has the OE exhaust I had ceramic powder coated, so it's pretty quiet and has a spark arrestor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0757.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	716.7 KB 
ID:	249517

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0807.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	249518

Kevin
    Real men ride trikes!

--
    So I got the HMF end cap and spark arrestor yesterday, still waiting on the quiet core and packing. Of course, on the 200x's, the end diameter is smaller than the 350x's, so the end cap won't fit inside the body, probably an 1/8 to 1/4 too wide. So now not sure what to do. I guess I could just bolt it on, it wouldn't sit inside the body. Nothing is ever easy. I can't seem to find any others. Do I need the end cap when putting everything back together?

Kevin
    Real men ride trikes!

--
    I used the end cap to sandwich the core and spark arrestor in there. By the time you get the build up of the two you might be ok , maybe a washer for a spacer. The only issue i see with that it how to get the c clip re installed that hold the muffler into the actual body. Maybe shave that 1/8” off the outer diameter of the end cap?

--
    Yeah I might have to trim down the end cap, maybe using my grinder. I got the rest of the parts, so I might mess with it this weekend. For the packing, did you just remove the original and re-wrap it? I'll probably understand it more once I get it taken apart. I do have an aluminum Coba exhaust I might experiment on first, but it's over at my brothers house right now.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Real men ride trikes!

--
    For the packing yes, when I took mine apart the dg packing was like feathers. Super light weight and soft. I’ve repacked my white brothers once and I remembered the the FMF stuff I used was way heavier than that so I did that. Made a difference but again with almost zero back pressure it doesn’t really work , enter baffle idea.

--
    Ok, so the c ring holds everything in. I thought it was maybe the small screw at the bottom. After you drilled out the rivets, looks like you put new rivets in? Guess I'll have to stop at the hardware store and pick up a pop rivet gun..lol. Never needed one before, but you never know.

Kevin
    Real men ride trikes!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //