//ArrowChat Code
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1986 ATC250R Adventure

--
    Alright..... Back on this project.....

Here's another example of the differences in 85 and 86 R forks in the first pic. That's the bottom end of the damper rods. I have no idea which one is what year. Maybe someone will chime in.

The next pic is those sweet Duros I bought and was going to run if only I hadn't got ahead of myself and ordered the wrong wheel diameter. Nice 10" tires nonetheless but unless I want to buy new wheels, I think I might just sell these to my son for his Tecate

So I decided to get a set of new radial Ohtsu M/R 501s like off the second gen TRX250R because I liked running them on quads. They slide sideways really nice and have good straight line traction.

I had ordered new valve stems too, so I guess we can say that I rebuilt my wheels too.. HAHA... Leave no single part unrebuilt!

Also ready to exchange my left fork lower that I got donated from the awesome and totally radical Mr Queef Chief.

Back with progress pics later

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    You
    Last edited by ironchop; 01-26-2019 at 04:57 PM.

--
    Glad to see you back at it! Hope your feeling better.
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

--
    Where did you get your zinc replating done at?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan View Post
    Where did you get your zinc replating done at?
    I didn't plate anything yet. The swingarm pro link linkage is painted with silver enamel instead of replating that part after I blasted it. Any shiny new zinc you see in the pics is just because they are brand new parts. I'm trying to avoid having too much bling because it will just look like crap after I ride the heck out of it for a couple months.

There's a local shop here in BG that does nickle and chrome plating called Brite Metals but I'm not sure if they do zinc.

--
    Ok I see, i saw in a earlier page about sending the axle out to be coated. I’ll check into them to get some pricing thanks. Sorry to veer off subject, great thread btw!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan View Post
    Ok I see, i saw in a earlier page about sending the axle out to be coated. I’ll check into them to get some pricing thanks. Sorry to veer off subject, great thread btw!
    Oh...yeah... I am indeed having the axle and the brake stay nickel plated instead of zinc and Brite Metals was who I talked to about doing the work, but the parts didn't get dropped off yet, so you really didn't veer off subject, no worries.

--
    Well, it was 65 in Kentucky today so I got out in the garage long enough to finally fix my mismatched lower fork leg issue.

I didn't take pics of the entire process because I have seal/bushing changes in third gen R forks mastered and can rebuild a pair in 20 minutes flat

I got an 86 fork set donated by a member here semi local to me that I took home and pulled the left lower apart and did a light sand/buff job on.

The lower on the right is a true '86 and the lower on the left is '85

I had bought another set of decals to put on the new lower until I noticed that this set of decals was gloss black instead of satin black like the original set. Now I had to scrape the decal off the other lower as well and replace it with a gloss black one. I got one decal applied a little lower than the other because I wasn't paying attention enough but screw it, this is supposed to be a rider and not a show bike anyway. Saves me from buying another $4 decal.

New lower, new decals, back in the triples.

Tires are mounted on the wheels.

I need my axle plated, buy a new chain, get a rear grab bar (which I might make myself), buy misc bolts, airbox support ring, and buy front/rear fender set. I currently am just running a number plate but I have plans to get an LED headlight adapted to the headlight shroud. Then final assembly.... That's all that's left to do before we fire it up and start doing heat cycles.

Last edited by ironchop; 03-06-2020 at 08:52 PM.

--
    Check out my nut sack.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190314_181225.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	257761

This is our busy season at work so I've been spending all my spare time working on a local Kobelco plant major expansion and not on my trike.

Front fender showed up yesterday, airbox support ring came last week, rear fender purchased and on the way, rear grab bar is currently under construction. I'm in the garage now to wrap up the fork oil fill/assembly. Waiting on rear axle plating and the new chain before it's time for the heat cycles.

The goal is to be ready by late June.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190317_133425.jpg   IMG_20190317_110158.jpg  
    Last edited by ironchop; 03-17-2019 at 02:37 PM.

--
    Slipped into the garage for a minute. Did some stuff.

I got a few new parts in over the last month.

New fork oil and Progressive springs for the forks....

I was already $300 into OEM fasteners on this trike so I ended up buying the remainder of the bolts I needed from SpecBolt ("Wurks series" nickle plated dished head, according to them and Rob Selvy who blessed them using the term "Wurks")......I saved about $110 so far this way, paying about a dollar each fastener instead of four dollars. Got the new front fender installed. Rear fender (also in "Fighting Red")showed up from ZM Performance and is stored in the spare bedroom until I'm ready for it.

The Streamline front brake line I got from BDT. The quality is great but it was a tad short for my preference but nothing big. It had to be twisted about 60 degrees to get the banjos properly lined up with the master and caliper.

Still waiting on the axle and then I can finish installing the rear end parts. I have an airbox support ring to install and I might pull the carb again and reclean since it's sat for over a year dry and then I can hook up the airbox boot, install the pipe, fill the tank, and kick it to life.

Thanks for looking

Installed those stainless front fender grommet washers I made by accident. What a useful accident

The brake line was loose in the stock lower fork leg cable clamp, so I got a larger rubber hose and cut an inch long section, split it up the side, and wrapped the new streamline hose in that, then clamped the cable clamp down around the whole thing and it holds the new line nice and firm.

Front wheel is all installed and also the front braking system is bled and functioning properly. This was the easiest MC style master cylinder I have ever bled

The next to the last pic is....I had a random Chinese gas cap with a neat little check valve (probably not functional, but looks cool) laying around the garage so I got curious and stuck it on my 85 cap. For now.

I happened to score a sweet front number plate from Liway Swinehart. It's just mocked up in that pic, not permanently attached yet. She still sells alot of the stuff her and John produced over the years so look her up on eBay.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk no
    Last edited by ironchop; 08-28-2019 at 10:26 PM.

--
    Very nice, so how close are ya to finishing? I pick up my 86 from BKM next week. He’s been an awesome friend to throw all the parts I bought on it.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    those stainless front fender grommet washers I made by accident. What a useful accident.
    Yes, yes it was
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    Very nice, so how close are ya to finishing?
    I guess it's dependent on how soon the plater gets my axle done. I haven't bought a chain yet, but I have everything else in hand and ready.

The second variable, is that we are absolutely slammed at work with new clients and old ones in expansions and doubling last year's profit numbers already. I'm taking advantage of the overtime (and the pending monster bonus) because me and the lady will be debt free by the end of the year at my current feverish pace *celebratory guns blazing*..... Anyway, my free time is at a premium right now so I will be pushing to be done in a month. Two Max. I'd like to ride it at Haspin this year if work allows it

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    I guess it's dependent on how soon the plater gets my axle done. I haven't bought a chain yet, but I have everything else in hand and ready.

The second variable, is that we are absolutely slammed at work with new clients and old ones in expansions and doubling last year's profit numbers already. I'm taking advantage of the overtime (and the pending monster bonus) because me and the lady will be debt free by the end of the year at my current feverish pace *celebratory guns blazing*..... Anyway, my free time is at a premium right now so I will be pushing to be done in a month. Two Max. I'd like to ride it at Haspin this year if work allows it
    Very cool. Looking forward to seeing it finished!
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Looks awesome Doug. I do the same thing with the lower hose clamp. It makes it fit so much better and you'll never see it down there.
    Last edited by bkm; 04-09-2019 at 08:56 AM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by glamy View Post
    I wish you all the best............make sure you put your life first.............and their profit margins on a roll of ace wipe ..........mud or sand ?
    Thanks, same to you

I am doing just that, financially maneuvering ourselves so we can unplug from the grid, maybe do the nomad thing for awhile in a camper with a nice little chunk of property to park it on should we need to rest or set roots. I'm over the workaday chump thing. I grew up on a farm and I'd like to return to one to die. Growing my own food and sheet. Living on solar power. Chillin like Wendell Berry, all one with nature.

Sand, yes.......mud, I don't know. I used to think so, but this thing looks even nicer in person because I suck at cellphone photography and especially lighting. Anyway, I'm not feeling the mud thing anymore. I like my stuff to stay nice. I remember how quickly I trashed my 200X cosmetically and the kid after me put another thirty years of aging on it so I'm torn about riding in anything other than dry dirt or sand

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //