//ArrowChat Code
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1986 ATC250R Adventure

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Thanks, same to you

I am doing just that, financially maneuvering ourselves so we can unplug from the grid, maybe do the nomad thing for awhile in a camper with a nice little chunk of property to park it on should we need to rest or set roots. I'm over the workaday chump thing. I grew up on a farm and I'd like to return to one to die. Growing my own food and sheet. Living on solar power. Chillin like Wendell Berry, all one with nature.

Sand, yes.......mud, I don't know. I used to think so, but this thing looks even nicer in person because I suck at cellphone photography and especially lighting. Anyway, I'm not feeling the mud thing anymore. I like my stuff to stay nice. I remember how quickly I trashed my 200X cosmetically and the kid after me put another thirty years of aging on it so I'm torn about riding in anything other than dry dirt or sand
    If I wasn't busy overpopulating the world, I'd love to do the same thing. I want out of this job in the worst way and would love to have a little farm to mess around on. I'll live vicariously through you for the time being.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by glamy View Post
    I could never have done what you do..........ya have to be a people person..........i`m no good at that.........you me and Chop at the Dunes .........Fockers !
    The job has definitely not gotten better or easier as time has gone on. The dunes are still on my bucket list. I have family in Pismo, so maybe one day I can use that as an excuse to get out there?

--
    Got a rare spring day off of work and I took advantage of it.

One of the things holding me up was deciding what to use as a supply hose from the rear master reservoir to the rear master cylinder.

I trolled around FeeBay until I located a 12" long piece of hose shielded in stainless braid for a mere $7 shipped. I determined how long of a piece of that section I would need and then I wrapped it tightly in duct tape and used an air powered die grinder cutoff wheel to cut it.

I think that the worst part about metal braided line (besides that it holds heat as much as it 'shields" anything, which is not necessarily good) is that after you cut it, you stab your fingers a thousand times with the frayed ends. I also needed a way to wrap the ends up nicely for aesthetic reasons. Enter shrink tubing.

I trimmed the tubing so that it was too long and would shrink over the ends of the hose to help keep the stabby stuff fenced in.

I trimmed off the excess shrink tube in a way that the wrapped over part remained. I planned on using stainless hose clamps and I'm off to the hardware store right after this post for some of those. I shot a pic of the line mocked up.

I also took my seat, fender hardware, and new rear fender from Maier via the vendor ZMPerformance and bolted everything together for now. I've wanted to mock it up with the tank on to check the seat fit. I spent extra time when I was upholstering the seat to make sure and pull the cover tight enough at the front so the front of the seat wouldn't curl up as they have a tendency to do. Everything looks fine for a rider and it came out better than I thought so I think we're good there. I haven't decided if I'll run the oem wire fender support or not, but the fenders came with new hardware to attach two 'L' brackets to the new fenders so the oem support wire can be utilized.... I'm open for advice on the matter.

I also always liked MD's sticker choice on the front fender of his 200X racer build, so I totally copied the idea with no regrets. So Mickey gets credit for that feature.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ironchop; 04-28-2019 at 01:59 PM.

--
    Looking real nice! I found these hose end covers while working on a different project a while ago, they maybe what your looking for the clamps (they’d cover up those fine metal braids too) and come in many colors/sizes. Your a brave man cutting that braided hose! I’d be bleeding just looking at it. This is just a quick eBay screen shot for an example-Click image for larger version. 

Name:	979CF6CE-7D06-474C-8297-9B34354DC856.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	258307

Shep
    Ps. this post may self destruct in 24hrs

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep1970 View Post
    I found these hose end covers while working on a different project a while ago, they maybe what your looking for the clamps (they’d cover up those fine metal braids too) and come in many colors/sizes. Your a brave man cutting that braided hose! I’d be bleeding just looking at it. This is just a quick eBay screen shot for an example
    I had forgotten about those. Used them when I was a much younger man in a couple of cars I messed around with (I didn't have any skills then, so I was just messing around)

I might still go that route. It's not like it's a very expensive dress up part so you get high bling value for pennies haha

--
    I also took my seat, fender hardware, and new rear fender from Maier via the vendor ZMPerformance and bolted everything together for now. I've wanted to mock it up with the tank on to check the seat fit. I spent extra time when I was upholstering the seat to make sure and pull the cover tight enough at the front so the front of the seat wouldn't curl up as they have a tendency to do. Everything looks fine for a rider and it came out better than I thought so I think we're good there. I haven't decided if I'll run the oem wire fender support or not, but the fenders came with new hardware to attach two 'L' brackets to the new fenders so the oem support wire can be utilized.... I'm open for advice on the matter.

Do you still have to drill 2 screws into the plastics to hold the support or am I wrong on that?
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondatcs View Post
    Do you still have to drill 2 screws into the plastics to hold the support or am I wrong on that?
    You are correct.

They sent two little L brackets and some nuts/bolts/washers to attach those brackets to the fender after you drill a couple of holes. I'm not too keen on having shiny bolt heads hanging off my fender on each side like a sore thumb but if it is as beneficial as it is an eyesore, I'll consider it. Otherwise, I don't want a drill anywhere near my shiny $250 rear fender.... Plus I'm missing the OEM support wire and that would need to be procured, but they ain't cheap or plentiful

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    You are correct.

They sent two little L brackets and some nuts/bolts/washers to attach those brackets to the fender after you drill a couple of holes. I'm not too keen on having shiny bolt heads hanging off my fender on each side like a sore thumb but if it is as beneficial as it is an eyesore, I'll consider it. Otherwise, I don't want a drill anywhere near my shiny $250 rear fender.... Plus I'm missing the OEM support wire and that would need to be procured, but they ain't cheap or plentiful
    Here's a few wires and brackets I found that didn't seem overly expensive.

http://www.2040-parts.com/85-86-atc2...-atc-i2007007/

http://www.2040-parts.com/85-86-atc2...-atc-i2007006/

https://picclick.com/1985-1986-Honda...003482068.html

https://www.ebay.com/p/1985-85-250r-...0r/15011496779

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_odkw...et&_sacat=6028

It looks to me like you can fabricate the 2 loops the wire goes into then simply glue them to the fender. Low grade .090" thick aluminum should work and should be pliable enough to make it conform to the fender with a little hammaring etc. The secret is finding the best adhesive for the app and making the brackets a decent size. The larger the contact area is, the less likely it is they will come unglued. I would shoot for at least 2 square inches of contact area with a little more like 2.5 being even better.

Unfortunately, the adhesive I use to use has been discontinued. It was killer stuff and I used it for a ton of things, including gluing nearly half a prototype jet ski together that I had to fabricate at Kawasaki, but there are some others I have not tried yet that should work and are listed below. You can call 3M and see if you can talk to someone in the Adhesives division and tell them what you are wanting to do and they should be able to tell you which product will work best for your app.

I would sand the bracket and fender with 80 grit then clean both with rubbing alcohol, as lacquer thinner and some other solvents can adversely affect some plastics, and thereby reduce their ability for the adhesive to hold, but you can ask 3M about that as well.

1 (888) 364-3577

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...8716717&rt=rud

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...8716717&rt=rud

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Wel.../dp/B000X57YI8

https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/dur...7-p-10766.aspx

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...94857497&rt=r3

You could also just buy this NOS fender for only $4,499.00 (only $85.00 more for shipping ) but you better hurry cuz the ad ends in just 4 days.

https://picclick.com/NOS-Honda-ATC-2...730792683.html

--
    You are correct.

I feel like I hardly see people putting the middle support on for just that reason.
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

--
    Thanks for the links, Barn. I'm going to look into using that adhesive. I like that idea.

Lunch break fun.... Nothing major.... Tying up loose ends

I made something that replaces the factory upper shock bolt seals that I can't find anywhere.

No, they don't have rubber seal lips but I cut them .002 bigger than the outer sleeve so that they would still move freely but not have a major gap in there where debris can work underneath

I also polished the sleeve up a little.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    If you want, you can use felt or sponge foam and make a couple 1/4" wide washers that will catch a lot of the dust etc. You can also buy them online.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    If you want, you can use felt or sponge foam and make a couple 1/4" wide washers that will catch a lot of the dust etc. You can also buy them online.

I like that idea ALOT

--
    I like that idea ALOT
    xlnt, it's easy to overthink things, at least for me. I have a habit of doing that, then I go back to basics and try to think of the simplest, fastest, and cheapest solution etc, and often end up much more in that area. They actually use felt washers as seals on a lot of the vintage dirt bikes on the brake arm where the arm sticks out thru the brake backing plate. The earlier Jaguars even use a dense felt strip as a bushing for the steering column shaft. I found this out when I had a sloppy steering column on one of my old Jaguars and removed the mounting bracket and saw a piece of felt stuffed in there, so I figured someone just put the felt in there to reduce the slop instead of getting the poper bushing, so I went to the dealer and told them I needed the steering column bushing and they brought out another piece of felt.

--
    I bet you felt like the dealer was steering you in the wrong direction. Such is the fabric of today’s society, I guess.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    I bet you felt like the dealer was steering you in the wrong direction. Such is the fabric of today’s society, I guess.
    Triple dog applauds you for this pun

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //