//ArrowChat Code
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: My 1986 ATC250R Adventure

--
    Looking good brother! I've had similar conversations during my build too. Keep those pictures coming!
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

--
    Ok..... Ordered some hardware. Found some hardware that went thru the Stargate and then returned so now I'm suspicious of a possible Mandela Effect in the future. Got a chain on the way too, along with a couple quarts of Super Techniplate premix oil

So everyone knows by now that I'm no photographer. I have a ZTE cellphone, so it has 2010 camera tech but the biggest issue is me....I just suck at pics because Nikki Roberts was always wearing pink fuzzy sweaters and babydoll socks with heels on like a Van Halen video when she sat next to me in Photography 101 in 1986..... Toni Matlock, a slightly more freckled but equally hot teen version of Tawny Kittain, was the reason I flunked Art Appreciation in 1985...... But I digress...

So I drug it out into the sunlight today so I could work on an 84 Big Red and the sunlight makes it look orange or pink. Maybe I'll wait until sundown for less light interference. Anyhow, it's fun to take pics when you have nothing to assemble because you're waiting on the UPS Guy. So here you go. More pics.

Any suggestions on how to take good cell pics without being pre-ruined by Nikki Roberts' sweater puppies would be appreciated.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Cellphones (big time old ones) don't have exactly great photos, I've been dealing with taking cellphone pics for ages. Best solution, start with a real camera, bigger sensor size accepts more light in and has more controls for white balance, lighting, etc which effects how the colors show up. Overall, the photos aren't bad, not like show room style photos or anything, but we get a good idea what's going on in them =). I switched from a ~2012 cell phone to a ~2013 camera (Nikon P520) and the quality is quite good, not as good as a $1000+ DSLR high end camera, but for a bridge camera I don't think I could get much better for the price ~$200 used. I never had any classes for photography, all just from taking photos and adjusting things and seeing the effects.

Just a quick example, you can see the colors are horrible on the left photo from the cell, right side isn't perfect but atleast it looks a lot more natrual/normal. Same lighting in both images. Left was no flash, right was with flash, so I'll dig another photo up to show what the cell does with close ups + flash. Just going to link them to not spam images in your thread since they are kind of off topic lol.

https://i.gyazo.com/b7660f3c5eecdc7d...8b6634de52.jpg

Again left one was cell phone, right with the P520. The switch in the right photo had pretty bad casting quality.

https://i.gyazo.com/5fe28d7c0bb0173e...494275fd20.jpg

Oh, just noticed, the right photos were taken with the cheap $20 Nikon L20 camera I bought ages ago.

https://i.gyazo.com/dbb6a1454e3cc636...42cec22329.jpg

Photos are only taken at 2MP quality for internet usage, camera does 18MP. With all the photos, I didn't do anything special, just macro mode and worked with the camera to get the focus good etc. Older pics took me several shots (2-4 sometimes) to get usable images.

Cellphones are good for on the go capture the moment type photos, but if you want to really show the shine of your machine or the texture of a leaf, etc you really need atleast a point and shoot camera. The latest cellphones don't do bad, but they have a prime range they work in, further away or closer they tend to loose their crispness. Seems like your cell does best with inside lighting and closer photos, like the tire photo from a few posts up looks good to me, just can't read the text on the sticker, that's all (that's camera quality & megapixels though).

Anyway, I'm very far from a professional, my mom took an interest photography like 8 years ago so I learned a little from what she talked about, and now my sister has gone through photography college classes and I've helping her find what camera to buy and such. She has an entry level DSLR (not a "fully body" 35mm size though) and it takes super clear photos and I think it's like 24MP. If I remember the model right, it's a Canon Rebel T7.

Oh yea, this reminds me of a challenge I gave my sister, to get a photo of an ant lol. I opened the image twice and zoomed in on the ant so show the overall vs zoomed in. This is with my P520 camera at the highest settings (7MB photo). My camera loves outside photos, seems like it does best with natural lighting even on cloudy days. In the main photo, the ant is just above the center of the photo, there's another just down and left from the hole of the ant hill but it's not focused as well. Again this was just macro mode and stable hands.

https://i.gyazo.com/6df984bb3aa033cb...bc5eb008a9.jpg
    Last edited by ps2fixer; 09-15-2019 at 03:42 PM.

--
    Low-tech approach...... Roll the subject into the shade and try again

--
    Seems the shade option worked better lol. Guessing the cellphone is adding too much white balance to the colors when in the sun.

I didn't actually comment on topic, machine is looking great =). Looks to be getting close to being finished.

Is it normal for the carb drain/vent hoses to hang down so far from the frame?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    Is it normal for the carb drain/vent hoses to hang down so far from the frame?
    Nope, I still have trimming/routing to do on those carb hoses and there's also missing nuts and bolts in the pic that are en route.

I'm ready to fire it and run heat cycles this coming week while I wait in the last couple of items

--
    I love your trike, but for some reason I’m compelled to ask you to scan your 1986 year book class photo.

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    I love your trike, but for some reason I’m compelled to ask you to scan your 1986 year book class photo.
    Ditto.....nice looking R but would like to see Nikki R too.....

--
    Only thing missing is the swingarm carrier bolts. I ordered OEM but have some black-oxed metric Allen bolts (socket head cap screws) so I'm going to half tighten the carrier using those right now until the others arrive but everything else is present.

Got the sprocket all bolted together and installed a DID non o-ring chain. All lug nuts are now present and tightened. Replaced the missing hub bolt. The rear brake line turned out to be the correct length after all. I had the banjo angled incorrectly on the rear master, so it was all bunched up. Got the brake line routed and tightened the line clamps. Tightened rear axle nut. I changed the fuel petcock from a 90 degree to a straight thru in order to put the fuel line back where it's supposed to be. I need to make tethers for the cotter pins holding on my rear fender so I don't lose them taking off the fender. I need to order a whip flag and get a headlight if I can make Imperial this year. I'll hit up Bruce for some plastic number plate numbers later but I think we can call it done and stop dragging this out any longer ... I'll probably tinker with it and change stuff all the way up until next June but we have to draw the line somewhere lol

EDIT: Glad I looked at my posted pics and noticed I forgot to tighten the brake pad hanger bolts. I'll go over everything again in a minute

It's not perfect and I scratched a couple of places putting it together that warranted some touch up paint, but it's a nice rider and pretty much every component is rebuilt, mostly using oem parts.

I have a full weekend but later Sunday I'm going to start it up for the first time and do some heat cycles. After that's done, one rip around the yard and then call it done and ready for TF 2020. I might post a couple more final pics but I want to give some shout outs to the many people who helped me in numerous ways between the tech support, to the verbal and written motivation, to donating forks, parts, and polishing time to help me build this thing and anything else I forgot. Thanks for looking.

Thanks, in no particular order, especially to:

Mike (Mr. Clean)
    Jason (queefcheif)
    Brendon (Yaeger Performance/yaegerB)
    Rob Selvy
    Bryan ( BKM)
    Eric (Eric250R)
    JPMX (local shop)
    F.A.S.T. (Farm and Sand Toys) Racing

My wife, Deonna for never getting in between me and my expensive and inconvenient hobbies and shop practices.... especially the ones involving the oven, coffee table, and living room areas.

Hopefully didn't forget anyone who contributed and thanks to everyone who viewed the thread and offered input

....This whole forum, because I didn't know squat before I joined here and without 3WW, this build probably would have never happened

Last edited by ironchop; 09-28-2019 at 03:41 PM.

--
    Looks great Doug! You did a great job turning it into something special!
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

--
    Looks fantastic!!!! How does it run?
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    She’s beautiful Doug, I hope you’re proud of your hard work.

--
    Your new 250r in 2019! Hope to see it in the future and saving to read this thread thouroghly sometime this winter. Thats one clean r. Thanks man!
    Last edited by fieldy; 09-28-2019 at 10:00 PM.

--
    Update: It runs!... Started on the second kick. I'm still fine tuning the carb and breaking it in, but yaegerB gave me solid instructions so I'm pretty stoked

Now I know that the sweet smell I kept getting a face full of at Trikefest was Super Techniplate premix oil

--
    Very nice work iron! It was a true labor of love. There's nothing like seeing your completed project, knowing all of the hard work, devotion, & care that went into it, to get it to that stage. Now go enjoy it.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //