//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1986 ATC250R Adventure

--
    Jeff at FAST racing. He can usually turn a bore around in 2-3 days depending on how much port work he has lined up. Also, he can get you a piston, chamfer the ports, and size your rings before sending back. Bore is 50, ring sizing is 10, chamfer is 10 then you pay for the piston he orders and shipping both ways. Good deal if you ask me. Oh and I recommend a wiseco pro-lite.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Scratches too deep for a hone?
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Scratches too deep for a hone?
    I'm not sure John, if you'll notice I did try to run a hone thru it but I don't have a ball hone but rather the cheapy kind. It gets caught in the top notch of the intake port if you push it in too far so I stopped messing with it till I get the proper stuff. IMO that scratch is probably .001-.002 deep which is too much to hone.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    These two are the ones I'm concerned with...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    These two are the ones I'm concerned with...

My rule of thumb is if after a hone you can catch a fingernail on it then it needs to be bored. From what I see those are pretty deep. Also, I am looking at your intake side transfers and they are definitely not chamfered. I would definitely send out for bore and chamfer.

--
    What a treat to watch Doug. Thanx. I 3rd def bore it next size.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc007 View Post
    What a treat to watch Doug. Thanx. I 3rd def bore it next size.
    Well it's been interesting for sure Bill. I kept hoping for miracles but it all pretty much needs attention. Wait till I get the crank pics up. Theres a few plot twists in that one too. I'll get that part up later today or tomorrow.

I'm probably going over budget by $1000 bucks before it's all said and done. I thought I could do it for about $1800 but it will be more like $2800. I have alot of new stuff I haven't posted yet that I've been collecting for a year for this thing and I have about 80% of what I need.

--
    Mad skills Doug! Glad to see someone actually fixing something versus replacing it with another unit. Most folks would've just bought replacement parts. And thanks, you've confirmed that I'm officially a "grinder" and not a "welder"; you're work is nicely done!
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    OK....About that crank and rod assembly. So I get the topend off and the first thing I see was this....

Intake side. So I check the reed cage and all the screws are in their place so I'm not sure WTF happened but there is a very small corresponding scratch on the bottom edge of the intake port. Grrrrr....That means a piece of something metal got into the intake tract where the piston clipped it and dropped it onto the crank and down into the crankcase.....Not so fast....

First, it bounced around on top that rod while the rod tried to pummel it thru the gap between the case and crank. Their are dings and deep scratches with raised burrs all over the rod right there so it's structural integrity is comprised even if just a little. The worse part is the screw or whatever was gone so obviously it got beat to pieces before it fell into the crankcase.....Right over the top of that slot in the rod where oil can lube that bearing. Worse place for metal to get pulverized so that rod bearing has to come out. Crank work. Not in the budget.

--
    So I'm handling this pretty well considering I was optimistic about not having to do bottom end work outside of clutch and maybe main seals. Now I'm thinking I need to make calls and get some quotes for pressing crankshafts apart. So I start making calls and texts for advice and quotes and the average is about $200 and up after you buy rod and bearings and pay shipping that boat anchor both ways. I'm just about to invent a box that UPS can't kill to hold a crank when I stumbled upon a HotRods crank/rod assembly for $185 shipped.....Uh OK. So I just sit here on the couch, shoot a PayPal payment and wait on an assembled crank to get dropped off. No box making. No driving to the post office. No praying that my crank doesn't get dragged down I-65 on its way there from behind the truck or tossed from the third floor of the airport into the package wagon being towed out to the Big Brown Plane.....This statement proves ironic here in just a second.

So I pull the trigger and order a new HotRods crank assembly for 85-86 ATC250R. I go ahead and order the bearings and seals from them too and wait giddy with anticipation as I'm sure my dilemna was now solved with the stroke of a Visa card. Ha!

So three days later, my crank shows up.

Well, there are no holes in the box or anything s I guess it just got munched a little...

Huh..A second box...Wait, what's with those holes punched outward?

Hmmmm

So there was another of those grey expanding foam packs on top of the crank but that didn't stop that sucker from trying to get out the box. I guess I'll send this back and request another. The threaded end of the crank was undamaged as was the plastic bag over it. I'm not sure though if that rod got torqued sideways and dinged those thrust bearings on the sides. It didn't poke thru the outer box but I'm almost afraid to use it because who knows what they ran over the box with.

I don't like when my momentum hits a wall.

Last edited by ironchop; 03-08-2017 at 10:01 PM.

Surprise AZ. In the garage working on trikes.
    --
    Do you have a shiny red tank for this project? I cannot remember??!!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Do you have a shiny red tank for this project? I cannot remember??!!
    I sure do!

--
    What in the hell??? That crank was moving in the box the whole time? Enough to poke holes? Yeah, um, get another one....that's bs

--
    Hopefully the company is reputable and switches it out. What a shame to only package it half azzed.
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    It was actually packed pretty good but when you drop a 15 pound chunk of steel with pointy ends without covering those with cardboard or pvc tubes or something, it punches right between the seam in the foam. Anyway, it was an eBay deal using PayPal so I'm good I'm sure. I put in a return request and I do recall the seller has close to 20K transactions with 99.8% positive feedback. I'm picky about eBay for this reason.

Don't worry, be happy.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //