//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1986 ATC250R Adventure

--
    So they are sending me another crank assembly..... Meanwhile, I thought I'd tackle the seat.

Doesnt look bad but I wanted a new cover soooo....

Yeah, it's going to need new foam...

.....Broken stud....I guess I need to find another pan with good studs...

Hell no, I don't have time for that. Must be a solution....So I drilled out the broken stud and was going to retap for 6.0mmx1.00.....In the meantime I got it too hot and the flange started to pull out of the plastic pan. Crap. I noticed the flange was square so I cleaned up the melted part with a chisel...

So I tapped the square flange and screwed a 6mm bolt thru it ...

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    I punched the threads on the bolt where it meets the square nut to help lock it on. Now I need to fill the crater with some epoxy to help anchor it....

Mixy Mixy

Scrape off the excess...

Leave that to set up for 24 hrs and then we can recover the seat.

Stay tuned.....

--
    Cool build thread. Cant wait to get started on my 85 liquid racer build. I put my lower cases together with a new hot rods crank. I had to put the crank in the freezer overnight and heat the bearing with a heatgun . Crank dropped right in the bearing with no issues.
    250r rules

--
    Great job fixing that seat pan. I have a Tecate seat that needs that done. Thanks for the idea.

Joker 90
    1970 Honda US90- aquarius blue
    1981 Yamaha YT125
    1986 Yamaha Big Wheel 80
    1986 Kawasaki Tecate KXT500
    1987 Kawasaki KXT250B2
    2005 Yamaha YFZ450

--
    Ok so this petcock is a mess and I'm not going to put that mess on my shiny tank and the screen is junk anyway...

So I go shopping for a new one and promptly have a stroke. No way I'm paying $85 for an OEM petcock. So I used a couple of these ten years ago on a Triumph chopper I was building and had pretty good results. They cost $21 shipped. The block of aluminum was free from the scrap bin.

So I decided to draw up a flange based on the original that can be pipe tapped for 1/4 NPT. I always use aftermarket fuel filters between tank and carb so I can confirm fuel flow and filter leavins if I need to. I generated a program and tossed the block in the vertical mill center and machined a new flange.

I'm probably going to mill off another .100 to put the valve closer to the flange but I'm not sure yet. I'm just happy to save myself $60 on a stupid petcock.

--
    I was bummed to see it go, but now I'm really happy it has found a good home. I knew you'd get it up and going but damn man, you're going all out. Really look forward to seeing it in person.
    Tionesta Trikes ATC 450R
    86 250R
    86 Tecate-3
    83 ATC 70
    85 Big Red
    81 KLT 200
    85 250SX
    Tricky Dicks Cagiva WMX 200 sold
    Trikefest survivor 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
    My feedback: http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/s...dback+eric250r

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric250R View Post
    I was bummed to see it go, but now I'm really happy it has found a good home. I knew you'd get it up and going but damn man, you're going all out. Really look forward to seeing it in person.
    Not too much. I wanted to save as much of what I got from you as I could. I like to recycle. I'm trying not to go OCD on this one like the 200X that veered off budget. I'm keeping the jug and head stock. I did buy the clutch upgrade because it's an 85 motor but the rod I hadn't counted on. I went crazy $$ on the pipe but that's because I'll never have to upgrade that ever again no matter what I mod elsewhere. I want to keep it stock for reliability and financial reasons. It's easy to drop $5K on a 250R build.

It's kind of a frankenbuild. I'm not even repainting the motor. It's still got a great coat of black on it and I don't care if it doesn't look correct on an 86 chassis.

Did you ever see the tank after Mr. Clean got ahold of it? That will blow your mind.

--
    Well I didn't get very much done yesterday except shorten that petcock flange by about 0.05 and time the pipe tap so that the valve is clocked correctly when fully tightened.

I did have a blasted top tree ready for paint so I broke out the Cerakote and masking tape again...

I have to say, I'm really impressed with the Paasch airbrush I've been painting small parts with. Adjusted correctly, it only delivers just enough paint to cover with less chance for runs.

Hoping to make some real progress this weekend.

Last edited by ironchop; 03-15-2017 at 12:30 PM.

--
    Good Stuff Ironchop!
    * 1978 ATC 90/180 Pauter PJ1 / Springer "Team BAPP" Bike *

* 1980 ATC 110/180 "Danny's Machine Works" 3D Sprint Dune Bike *

* Nicholson 500 Race Bike *

* HPATC Yamaha RD350 "Big Moe" Trike *

--
    Ok, well I decided to cover the seat myself. Originally, I planned to send it to Cosmic Quads but this bike is no show piece by any stretch and any money I can save on this over-budget project is needed for other things I can't save. It's just a rider. Well that may have proved to not be such a great idea after all. I purchased a seat cover and foam kit from H-Flite. $175 shipped to the house, I think.

The foam is an 85 profile, not the 86 profile which is a tad shorter. I figured the cover would be sewn to fit but honestly, I've done two other seats myself and I wrestled with those covers alot less than this one. The logo is crooked too. I thought it was over-stretched in some places making it look like that but a quick measure confirms that it's slightly crooked after I pulled the Staples back out to release the tension.
    The foam is nice but the cover leaves a little to be desired. Probably should have just used Cosmic to begin with but you live and learn, right?

The rear corners up top are a little saggy too. I have to try and turn off my OCD and quit tripping over it......It's just gonna be a rider and not a chromed trailer queen.

Thanks

Last edited by ironchop; 03-15-2017 at 03:15 PM.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Cosmic Quads... You were aiming on having this done before Trikefest right?
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Cosmic Quads... You were aiming on having this done before Trikefest right?
    Yeah but I had planned on sending it off 6 months ago when I got a quote from her on the foam. That didn't happen in time so I'm left doing it myself.

--
    I always fall into the trap of focusing on and pointing out all of the tiny imperfections on my builds too. Hard as it is, try to focus on the 95% that went right. Your work looks top notch. Can't wait to take a rip around Haspin with you on it.

Surprise AZ. In the garage working on trikes.
    --
    I think the cover and install looks great. You could always take some lacquer thinner and remove the ATC logo, get some white vinyl spray and have a template cut for a new logo.

--
    Yeah that doesn't look bad at all id run it all day !

How did you clock the petcock? Is there some easy way of doing that or is it more of a denial and error thing? Will it use the stock o ring?
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //