//ArrowChat Code
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: My 1986 ATC250R Adventure

--
    Those number plate decals look really good sir, you did good! Bruce does great work! Did you get your axle done yet?
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    I've had numerous machines and many with folding shifter pegs. I bent one six times in a week riding thru the woods at Trikefest..... I'm not riding this R in the woods so I found a TRX450R shift lever for $20 with pristine splines. When I find the original one that came with the motor, it will be my spare that I take riding with me. As for it's current whereabouts, I'm not sure.
    Interesting! I did not know they were interchangeable / same splines. That is good info to have.

I found out a couple years ago that Raptor 700 works on 350X.

--
    Well this project got sidetracked. I swore I was going to downsize and then I bought another car for a commuter for my wife (she currently has a take home company vehicle) and I said I was going to stay on track, finish this 250R, finish the wife's car, finish my truck.

So, naturally, the next economically sound thing I did was buy an 06 Mustang, ..... I didn't really need it, but the price was impossible to pass up. It runs great, but has a broken timing chain guide, so it's been parked. Of course I've told my fam that it's "going to be a spare car for me because my daily is getting old"........a spare car that I can race entry level at the brand new Motorsports park/road course in town across from the Corvette plant heehee!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.... Commuter car. Details after I bring it home and start a different thread.

So yeah, instead of plating my axle, I spent my Doug's Funtime Mutual Fund on a Mustang.

However, this last week on a couple lunch breaks, I've been trying to design and machine some brake line clamps for my aftermarket rear brake line...... So I'm still moving in a positive direction albeit slowly.

Let me know what y'all think of the clamps. I'm thinking about offering some for sale later this fall if there's interest.... Stainless fasteners would be included as in the pics

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ironchop; 08-04-2019 at 08:05 PM.

--
    Iron, those look really nice, but I don't know if they'll be strong enough.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Iron, those look really nice, but I don't know if they'll be strong enough.
    HAHA

My initial thoughts were that they could use a diet. Those are prototype #2.

The first version looked huge and the line location was 1/4" higher.... Took me all of 90 seconds to hate them... Here's pics of prototype #1...

--
    The first version looked huge and the line location was 1/4" higher.... Took me all of 90 seconds to hate them...
    Both prototypes show your nice machine work. Yeah, I'm picturing prototype #1 mounted up, and the line looks funky suspended away from the swingarm. Nice changes to #2.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    My buddy Miles welded up my field expedient grab bar pieces, so that's done. I buffed it up with some Scotch Brite and I'll bolt it on tomorrow or something.

--
    My buddy Miles welded up my field expedient grab bar pieces, so that's done. I buffed it up with some Scotch Brite and I'll bolt it on tomorrow or something.

Nice build bud!
    You gonna make the 2020 TF? I should be there as well come hit me up if ya go. Have a good one bud!
    I am typically on FaceBook is where you can find me or mikesatvfix.com if ya need me.

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    Nice build bud!
    You gonna make the 2020 TF? I should be there as well come hit me up if ya go. Have a good one bud!
    I am typically on FaceBook is where you can find me or mikesatvfix.com if ya need me.
    Thanks

I couldn't tell you yet whether I'll be there or not. The last three years was good to go until about three months out and either something came up or I wasn't ready. If I do, I'll see you there

--
    How are things coming along Doug? Any new updates?
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Aulbaugh View Post
    How are things coming along Doug? Any new updates?
    Nope. Unfortunately I'm buried at work and about to make a career change anyway and also I spent my fun money on a project car for road racing

Last edited by ironchop; 08-31-2019 at 10:06 AM.

--
    Ok....

So after phone calls, emails, personal visits to plating shops local (50 mile radius), I learned alot about plating and the EPA's efforts to regulate the mom and pop platers out of business because chrome apparently it's more dangerous to the dirt in Franklin Kentucky than BP dumping TRILLIONS of gallons of crude into the Gulf of Mexico.

I did find a couple places close, but they require $200 minimum run or a large order to proceed, so I passed.

So the Economic Protectionist Agency, now an extension of large corporate polluters, can't be trusted with our environment any more than the average American consumer.

So one local shop who said "we're only still open because they grandfathered us in, but we can't do Brite zinc or yellow chromate without extra equipment".... So they offered show chrome, nickel plating, or hard chrome. This is the same guy and wife who was buried in restoring old Mercury bumpers and chrome trim and some chopper stuff. He finally got almost caught up, so my lead time is going to be "about a week, less than two" from last Thursday when I left it with them

I wanted yellow chromate but didn't want to spring to ship there and back so I just went with hard chrome.

Details along with final finish assembly pics to come by the end of this month for sure

--
    Interesting about the regulations, is that a state level thing or federal?

Looking like federal level, here's a page I found on it.

https://www.epa.gov/stationary-sourc...-hazardous-air

All affected sources must limit emissions to the level of the maximum achievable control technology (MACT).
    So in other words, if you don't have the latest emission controls in place, the setup is illegal.

Sounds like the places are also hit with the zinc plating side of things too (for the yellow finish Cadmium layer)

https://www.epa.gov/eg/electroplatin...ent-guidelines

For plants with a daily process wastewater flow of less than 38,000 liters (10,000 gallons), these standards limit only lead, cadmium, and cyanide.

--
    Dude, you are killing it !! Great job. I'm happy you're the one who got it.
    Tionesta Trikes ATC 450R
    86 250R
    86 Tecate-3
    83 ATC 70
    85 Big Red
    81 KLT 200
    85 250SX
    Tricky Dicks Cagiva WMX 200 sold
    Trikefest survivor 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
    My feedback: http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/s...dback+eric250r

--
    Axle came back from hard chroming (looks like a satin finish) I was satisfied with what I got for the time being. The sprocket flange had cloudy spots so I painted that part. I'll update with a better axle next year but for now I'd like to have it RTR for Imperial and TF 2020 both, so I'm getting it together and I'll change some stuff along the way.

Conversations with myself in the garage this evening.....

"Damn it's hot in here"

"Where the f**k is that 10mm socket?"

"Are all these o-rings really necessary?"

"There's an o-ring inside the rear brake rotor carrier hub thing?!"

"I forgot to buy the o-ring that goes inside the brake rotor carrier hub"

"I forgot to buy the hardware to attach the sprocket to the axle"

"What happened to those new lugnuts I swear I bought?

"Why am I missing one castle nut and washer for the rear axle but not the other side?"

"WHY is this 'stock length' rear brake line four inches too long?"

"THIS $65 BRAKE LINE I'VE HAD TOO LONG TO RETURN NOW IS A PLUS FOUR AND IT WAS LISTED AS STOCK LENGTH! I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER WHEN THEY SENT ME THE WRONG COLOR TO BEGIN WITH!"

(I connected the line without the caliper mounted so that when I bled it, I could keep the brake fluid off of everything a little more effectively......damn)

"Hard to ride it without a chain. I should probably but a chain"

"MAN, these Ohtsu MR501s look great on there held on by two lugnuts"

"I hope those Ohtsus perform as good as they look"

Sooooo. I'm held up over trivial things.....I need lugnuts, chain, one axle castle nut and washer, that little clip that holds on the sliding washer on the brake stay post on the swingarm

Super secret amateur photohack spy shots..... Them MR501s!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //