//ArrowChat Code
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1986 ATC250R Adventure

--
    So then I pulled that emulator(?)(don't know what it's called) off the shaft being careful to keep all pieces in the order they were in....seal head has a clip in the backsidepulled clip and started disassembling seal head cleaned and half polished shock body. That's as far as I'm going on that
    I bead blasted all those rusty pieces in the post above and shot some silver on them to keep the rust off. I should have them replated, but I'm running out of time. The plater is swamped right now and those parts had deep pitting from rust so paint will do for now. I'm going to locate a shock with better parts to use later down the road.
    Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ironchop; 04-17-2018 at 09:04 PM.

--
    That looks damn good man! I wasn't as smart as you when I took my last one apart, I went ahead and took the rebound adjustment screw out... That damn detent ball is a kick right in the pride trying to get it back in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamnahrt View Post
    That looks damn good man! I wasn't as smart as you when I took my last one apart, I went ahead and took the rebound adjustment screw out... That damn detent ball is a kick right in the pride trying to get it back in.

Yeah I was wary of that part so I hadn't disassembled it yet. I'm glad you said something as I might skip that step to avoid extra aggravation
    I'll probably build a second shock soon with a new emulator and built for my riding style and FATA$$. This one will be temporary and for practice

--
    You probably are a better man than me, but with out the proper shim tool I personally won't tear another down that far. It was a rather blood pressure elevating expirence.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamnahrt View Post
    You probably are a better man than me,....
    Thanks but no way. Im a total rookie at suspension stuff but I'm willing to learn the hard way. This shock was really rough looking so I wouldn't have been too upset if I destroyed it to learn something new

--
    Lunch break so let's tear the rezzy apart and see what's going on in here....

Let the nitro out of the Schrader valve first. Next, I tapped the rear cap inward to expose the clip. Pulled the clip out and then grabbed the cap by the Schrader with a sacrifial valve stem cap to protect the threads and pulled the bladder out.

I'm going to order a new bladder. Already ordered new seals for the seal head. I'll go and clean this rezzy really good and post up pics later

--
    Cleaned up ok. Still can see battle scars but it's still serviceable

--
    Got online and found out you can also order the shaft bushing in the seal head too. Mine was about .008 bigger than the shaft outer diameter. That seems loose to me. The bushing is pressed against a shoulder in the seal head so the only way to remove is to heat the seal head ALOT and smack the head on a solid surface until the bushing falls out. Done.

Last edited by ironchop; 05-01-2018 at 07:08 PM.

--
    The seal head seals and new bumper came in. Still waiting on the new bladder and shaft bushing and shock oil to arrive so I can put it all back together.

--
    Ok I rebuilt the seal head tonight and assembled the shock...well the lower half for now. Made a seal driver to press on the outer shaft seal out of delrin to keep from damaging it. Also pressed a new shaft bushing into the seal head so now everything is pretty much new inside the shock.

I took alot of pics to try and show each piece assembled in order in case anyone else wants to try this at home. I'm going to watch the Race Tech instructional videos in a minute on how to fill with oil and bleed. After I fill it, I'll shoot pics of the bladder install and then I'm sending it out to get a Nitro recharge.

I bought Race Tech's suggested shock oil for this model. Updates soon!

--
    Go Doug Go!!!
    It sucks to get old

--
    The place I ordered my Pivot works linkage kit from emailed me today.....No in stock! No and then!

SO.....WTF IS IRONCHOP TO DO?.....HMMM. ....Hard to tell. He's cray-cray.

I'm either going poly, delrin, or maybe machine and harden new bushings. "Has this been done before?"

Probly so.

"Will this work with poly, UHMW, or Delrin?"

Probably so.

My Skyjacker shocks on my 79 F150 have poly shock eye bushings so if they can take a direct lickin', I'm willing to try.

Besides, I mic'ed my outer bushings and they are worn slick out as well as the inner bushes. Some are .008 out of round and I don't feel like crap shooting to try and get decent linkage that was always well lubricated for 32yrs.

I've lost my M@#$&*F#¢%ING mind.......

They did press out pretty easy

Dios mio!

Last edited by ironchop; 04-30-2018 at 03:58 PM.

--
    awesome work - I love seeing things done this way with all the pictures.
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    First pair done and pressed.
    I saved myself some time by making the Delrin Bushing ID smaller than OEM so I could turn down the old OEM inner bushing to remove the worn part. Now I can reuse it.

Last edited by ironchop; 04-30-2018 at 06:04 PM.

--
    Round 2:

Dogbone bushings.

Normally I would make a two-piece set thats split exactly half the width of the bore with a flange on one end. The dogbone isn't very wide so I was afraid that the bushings would be too short to seat good and would either work their way out or spin in the bores. I decided to make one bushing the total width of the dogbone with a flange on one end and then make a ring to fill the other side counterbore with a tight press fit to help support the thin side of the long bushing sticking out to keep it from moving laterally. Pics probably explain it better than I can word it.....

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //