//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1986 ATC250R Adventure

--
    I didn't realize they made new sight glasses...where did you find those?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by newby200x View Post
    I didn't realize they made new sight glasses...where did you find those?
    eBay...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Honda-atc-mast...185?nav=SEARCH

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Ok so I took another chance.

eBay PJ34.....$42 shipped

I figured I'm already pressing my luck. I did buy a twenty dollar rear master that looked great but was a solid mass of F@#$ED inside so that was a washout but I'm trying to save pennies where I can when I'm buying stuff that's just gonna be immediately rebuilt by me anyway. I can't help it. If I buy something used, I'm compelled always to make it as new and functional as possible. Doesn't matter what the PO said or did or how nice it is, I still end up rebuilding it usually if it's going to be mine for awhile.

Anyway this is what $42 shipped looks like when it's dressed as a carburetor with three missing bowl screws, missing cable boot and adjuster, and one stripped and stuck float bowl screw....All of which I have new spares in my carb parts box in the garage so I'm set

Now I've had nice carbs that were full of goo inside and I've had crap looking carbs be shiny and new inside. This one seems to have been recently used enough or drained good to prevent the varnish...

Tore it all the way down. Bathed in acetone and scrubbed everywhere with an assortment of brass wirebrushes. Clean enough for me.

Tossed a Shindy rebuild kit in it and replaced the missing hardware but didn't take a pic. It looks like a complete carb

Last edited by ironchop; 03-25-2017 at 11:03 PM.

atcman77 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Have been watching your build and wanted to say great job so far Ironchop! Any updates on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by An Anonymous Member
    Do you really have to type (PM sent)...............

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atcman77 View Post
    Have been watching your build and wanted to say great job so far Ironchop! Any updates on it?
    Thanks!

I finished rebuilding the front master on the coffee table so now I'm in the doghouse cuz the living room smells like brake fluid.

During the last week or so, I've just been collecting parts but I should have some more updates this week after I rehab the front caliper and front hub.

--
    Is it just me or has the 85/86 250r supply completely dried up in our region? I haven't seen anything worth the price tag in some time. Let alone feebay w/ their price gouged parts prices.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by newby200x View Post
    Is it just me or has the 85/86 250r supply completely dried up in our region? I haven't seen anything worth the price tag in some time. Let alone feebay w/ their price gouged parts prices.
    Yes it has. I was thinking about this the other day. Tecates and Tri-Zs too. There used to be 4 or 5 250Rs up for sale any given week on CL within 250 miles of me but now it's zero. I frequently hit Indy, Bloomington, Louisville, Owensboro, Terre Haute, etc CL since I used to live in Indiana and drove a truck for Sears so I know my way around.

The only thing left is the same 3 or 4 ads I see put up for "WTB 250R, TECATE, TRI-Z, and ATC70" on any given week for the last 7 years so I suspect that's where a few of them are going before they ever hit the list.

Most stuff is overpriced now and eBay is getting tougher to find any good deals and I already buy most my stuff from Cali ppl who part out nice machines because if it's gonna cost me that much, I want a shiny West Coast part instead of East Coast rust belt stuff for same price

--
    Agreed...week after week it's just more disappointment in the Craigslist findings. I'm just glad I'm down to a few items left on my 250R before I consider it "complete". Excellent work so far on your machine... I'll be staying updated on this thread.

--
    Found a good front rotor with very little wear for $20 shipped. Needs paint. I obliged.

I learned long ago that if you're masking something for the blast cabinet, you better have good tape so I mask rotors with duct tape for blasting and remask with good painters tape before painting...

--
    Got the radiator brackets painted too...

--
    The front caliper came in. I think I paid $45 shipped for this one...

Covered in sand. One piston seized. It had some sort of ring on it. I'm not sure if brake fluid did that or what but it's a major point of stiction and must be changed.

--
    While the piston is on order, I had time to blast off the old scratched paint and hit it with another coat of Cast Coat Iron.

Ready for new seals

--
    You win some, you lose one once in awhile. Was getting ready to mount the carrier in the swinger with the brake stay. Noticed I scratched the paint.....Hmmm that was too easy. Hit it with my thumb shovel and more scratched off easily to the primer layer which was stuck on good by itself. Must be a problem with the self-etching primer I used as the stuff I painted using different brand primer under same color is pretty tough. I'm guessing it's not compatible with that paint or some other issue. I didn't sand the primer coat before I shot the gold. I just washed with soap and water and ran a tack cloth over it.

No big deal. I'll just strip it off everything I had used that particular primer on......crap

Now I need new decals for my swinger. Sucks but had to be redone...

--
    Yeah it sucks having to do the same work twice. So far, it looks like you're going for an OEM color scheme. If so, the brake stay was not painted gold. Awesome work so far. Keep it up!
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Yeah it sucks having to do the same work twice. So far, it looks like you're going for an OEM color scheme. If so, the brake stay was not painted gold. Awesome work so far. Keep it up!
    What color should it be? Only ones I ever saw I person were chrome or anodized looking colors so I have nothing to go on.

It's not paint-code correct now, but you're right, I'm aiming for factory color scheme so I'd like to get it close. I think my rotor may be the wrong color but I like that shade of grey so I painted it that color.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //