//ArrowChat Code
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1986 ATC250R Adventure

--
    Ok time to start back on this project.

Last couple of days progress....I ride like a madman sometimes and I can't count on two hands how many times I've had my rear fenders come unlatched and fly off on various ATCs. I modified my 200X latch to use cotter pins instead of the spring latch and I liked it enough to do the same on the R.....yeah you can buy these already made for maybe $40 but how about this one for just $10 and some spare time?....it doesn't need to be pretty. Function over form.

I ground off the old pins and the latch post. The plate had two cracks around the old latch so I cut out the bad spot and welded in a new piece of plate for better strength.

Next I turned some longer and bigger OD pins for a tighter fit in the rubber grommets on the frame. I hate floppy fenders. I made them with a flange to weld to the plate. Welded them in place and shot with some Honda Passion Red. I'll drill the cotter pin holes later when my mill is freed up so I can get them located exact.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Earlier this week...

I decided to repaint the lettering on my switch cover using oil based paint pens. I then shot some clear over it but I don't like how shiny it is. Oh well....I need this thing running by Trikefest so I'm not gonna be picky.

--
    Then tonight....

I gutted a new OEM Honda quad switch I scored for $35 and put the new switches in the old 250R casing. I did have to trim the corners of the run switch housing a little to fit in the 250R switch casing. Everything else including the metal retainer plate was a direct fit with no more modifications...

--
    After the switch fest, I was still feeling froggy and productive so I decided to install the counterbalancer I got back from rebuild at BDT Motorsports Monday. I figured I was on a roll so I installed the stator assembly, cover, and my new case saver and a new (but rusty from being on a shelf in the shed for three years) front sprocket. I decided to stop there and finish the right side of the motor tomorrow night....yes I know I'm missing a stator cover bolt and I left out the case saver lower bolt because I lost the first one and I need to chase the threads on the other before I install....

--
    It's coming together nicley ironchop! Where did you get that sweet case saver?
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondatcs View Post
    It's coming together nicley ironchop! Where did you get that sweet case saver?
    Thanks!
    BDT Motorsports.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273111519574

--
    Looking good Doug
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Did you end up splicing the wires retro-fitting the new switches into the old case? Or did you resolder the connections at the switches? Looking to do the same to mine in the near future.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Thanks!
    BDT Motorsports.

Thank you sir for the link and info. Did you get the swinger repainted yet?
    • 1985 Honda 250SX
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1985 Honda 350X
    • 1986 Honda 250R

“I Love The 350x. It’s So Bad”

My Feedback Link!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by newby200x View Post
    Did you end up splicing the wires retro-fitting the new switches into the old case? Or did you resolder the connections at the switches? Looking to do the same to mine in the near future.
    I left the pigtail on the switches, cut off the starter button hot wire and the black wire where it teed into the others and pulled it out of the protective sleeve that contains all of them from the switch housing. The quad switches had same amount of wires left afterwards as the original 250R so I took pics of what colored wires went into which switches and I'll use that and the factory schematic for both machines to splice the pigtail into my 250R harness....with connectors for easy removal, of course. Most of the wire colors were the same but a couple were different

I might hit up ps2fixer Cory and see if he can get me the corresponding connector plugs to wire in and plug this switch into the new harness he built me.

Last edited by ironchop; 04-04-2018 at 12:44 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondatcs View Post
    Thank you sir for the link and info. Did you get the swinger repainted yet?
    Yes and re-stickered. I'll shoot a pic tonight and post it

--
    Nice attention to detail on everything so far, especially those switches!
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Motor looks awsome .Cant wait to see it when you get it finished.
    250r rules

--
    Snowing in southern Kentucky today....great day to get my tail out in the garage and work on the motor again

Assembled the clutch side of the cases. I used plenty of RedLine assembly lube. I feel like I didn't use enough if I don't get it all over the parts, my fingers, my phone, the table, and my tools. Messy stuff.

I continued with the plan to replace every damn bearing in this motor whether it needed it or not. This time I got new clutch hub bearings. Thankfully, I downloaded the PDF versions of the OEM Honda manual on my phone last year. I have a Clymer somewhere but nothing is as good as the OEM Service Manual hands down.

--
    Then moved on to finished the clutch assembly. So last year, I had heard about a "250R clutch upgrade kit" that's been offered by Honda for some time to make the clutch pull and action smoother by updating the hardware and pressure plate with (I think) the parts from the 88-89 TRX250R.

I'm going to use this upgrade kit...

This is the old stuff the kit replaces...

New stuff in bags next to the old push rod...

New on left, old on right...

And done.....

Last edited by ironchop; 04-07-2018 at 06:12 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //