//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1986 ATC250R Adventure

--

My 1986 ATC250R Adventure

I got an 86 250R chassis off Eric Banks a couple years ago and bought an 85 motor off eBay last fall. This is the story of what happened when I tried to put them together and get it running hopefully by TF2017.

Im not good about documenting things and taking pics of every step because I get in a mental 'zone' and do a bunch of work before I remember to take pics of stuff. Please be patient.

The goal is to assemble a running riding trike in good order. Stock setup outside of a pipe and aftermarket reeds plus whatever needs replaced on the motor after I split the cases. Story on why, later.

Part one: I started rehabbing the swingarm because it had wicked bad chain rash. I blasted off the paint and marked the bad spots with a Sharpie to help me find them with my welding helmet on

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ironchop; 02-08-2019 at 08:39 PM.

--
    After welding.....I also welded a nut onto the broken bolt in the chain slider boss so I could remove it.

--
    After grinding...

--
    I got Duplicolor Universal Gold and ned the swingarm and then applied the new repop decals I got from Jeff Blackburn (pantera1975). Perfect color match with the Duplicolor paint......

More updates later as they come

Last edited by ironchop; 03-07-2017 at 07:56 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    After grinding...

You gots skillz I see
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    That duplicolor gold is a nice.......good job

--
    Nice work Doug.. Jeff's decals are terrific too, have a couple of his sets myself.
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    Bought this rear caliper for $35 shipped because "pad hanger pins are stripped out" (the Allen heads). Pistons were stuck good too. I used easy-outs on the hanger pins after soaking the whole caliper in AeroKroil for a week. I had to blast off the old paint and then ended up blocking off the brake line hole and then I cracked open the bleeder and pumped grease into the works to pop the pistons out to change seals and clean out the corrosion behind them. They wouldn't blow out with air.

Cleaned all the goo out and purchased new pistons and seals after a quick shot of grey and installed them. Bracket got blasted and painted too but I'm waiting on new slider pins and boots before I attach it to the caliper.

Got bored at lunch so I blasted the rear brake pedal and painted it with Cerokote Graphite Black. It's a firearm finish that I thought I'd try on ATC parts that get alot of finish wear to see if it holds up any better.

I'll probably shoot the top tree with that stuff too.

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Nice work!
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

Surprise AZ. In the garage working on trikes.
    --
    Very cool, contact me as you find needs for misc parts pieces, grommets etc.

--
    Started going over the frame. I chased all the threads clean. There were four broke off bolts in various holes. I was able to weld a nut on three of them and remove easy enough but the fourth needed to get drilled out.

The rear grab bar bolt holes were trashed but alot of them are and it's an easy fix. I ground off the old nuts and just spot welded new ones on...

So when I was removing the rear brake pedal, I noticed some slop. I was able to clean the pedal shaft pretty good but there was a little bit of pitting. Still usable though. Inside the boss on the frame was really crusty though and once I cleaned it out, it was all crunchy in there. I HATE a sloppy break pedal so I decided to drill out the whole boss and ream it to 22mm, make a sleeve to fit inside with an 18mm hole for the pedal shaft, then drilled holes in the side of the old boss and plug welded the sleeve in and grind to hide them...

I didn't maintain the counter bore for the OEM seals in the new sleeve. They are difficult to find and weren't exactly fool proof anyway. I'll just be sure to maintain lubrication in there.

Next step is to blast paint off and check again for cracks before being sent out for powder coat.

--
    ^ And THAT'S how it's done!!

When I get frozen slide pins. I drill a small hole in the back of the casting in order to press them out. Then I tap it for a small grease fitting.....

Looking great bud!!
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    When I get frozen slide pins. I drill a small hole in the back of the casting in order to press them out. Then I tap it for a small grease fitting....
    Never thought of that. Great tip!

--
    Nice work, Doug! Can't wait to see the finished product!
    1985 Tri-Z 250
    1985 ATC250R

--
    Cylinder cursory inspection....

Appears to be stock bore. Note that I'm using dial calipers. That is NOT a good way to measure your cylinder. I only used them as a quick reference tool to see where I'm starting from. For any other cylinder measurements I would be using a dial bore indicator to check for taper and out-of-round conditions but for what I need to know right now, these calipers will do....

There are a few small scratches that require a new bore.....

So it looks like I need a new 66.5 piston and rings and I'm totally buried at work so I'm going to outsource the bore job.

Any recommendations?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //