//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 350x with 300ex axle

--

350x with 300ex axle

I don't know if this is common knowledge but I have this done on my 350x. Benefits are more axle and sprocket upgrades. Also better rear hub upgrades. I bought a Tusk extended 300ex axle from RockyMountainATV for 200$ (compared to durablue 419) and I got extended billet hubs for a 400ex for 100$ (again durablue 200$ ). All I had to do was shim the rear sprocket 1/2". I used some stainless steel spacers from a local hardware store. Works great and stretched the back out about 9" total and the axle can adjust another 2" if your crazy. I used a Honda 400ex 38 tooth rear sprocket and dropped my front to a 12. Slightly lower geared than stock but still runs great. Mines a trail rig so top end isn't that important to me. It's still going almost 50 at the top of fourth. I have true 22" tires also. That's my two cents for the day. Any questions feel free to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    This subject of non stock 350x replacement axles has been brought up several times recently. Close up pic's of sprocket spacers and hubs along with any other possible mods or changes would be helpful. Very clean nice looks x you have.

"HJ" Name:  oldfogey.jpg
Views: 2458
Size:  1.2 KB
    ’84 YT60
    ’85 350x (423cc) with ’81 XL500 head conversion
    ’83 XR500 (628cc) converted 3 Wheel hybrid
    ’73 CB750 K3 converted 3 Wheel hybrid
    ’86 TRX250R chassis XR650L engine hybrid
    ’89 TRX250R (stock )
    ’90 LT500 Quadzilla
    ’85 FL350 Odysses ( water cooled head )
    Lost (sold) but not forgotten ’80 ATC 110 (205cc on alcohol ) ’83 200x ( 222cc ) ’83 200x ( 185s eng ) ’85 350x ( stock )
    added to the collection recently, (2) '70 US90 Aquarius Blue and '74 ATC90 Daytona Orange

--
    Quote Originally Posted by HairyJR View Post
    This subject of non stock 350x replacement axles has been brought up several times recently. Close up pic's of sprocket spacers and hubs along with any other possible mods or changes would be helpful. Very clean nice looks x you have.

Also keep in mind this is all aftermarket now. But this did fit in my stock swingarm and carrier. Now I have a niche carrier and hre swinger. But the 350x and the 300ex carriers swap. And hubs are universal Honda almost. (Except for 350x and later 250r) the spacers were for the chain alignment and I used grade 8 bolts with nylock nuts and loc tite (red). Have quite a few miles on this set up no problems. And as far as Tusk products I have this same set up on a 400ex I ride way harder no problems at all.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by HairyJR View Post

Here's the hubs I didn't have to mod anything else besides the spacers.

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Where are you seeing the axles for 300ex on Rocky Mountain?
    I looked several times and no longer see axles for the 300ex. I check eBay often and see several new no-name axles in the $150 - $200 range but I would rather go with a Tusk.

From other posts on this most awesome forum, I've read that you can use the 350x sprocket hub to avoid using spacers. Yours definitely looks to be working just fine, though.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Arky-X View Post
    I looked several times and no longer see axles for the 300ex. I check eBay often and see several new no-name axles in the $150 - $200 range but I would rather go with a Tusk.

From other posts on this most awesome forum, I've read that you can use the 350x sprocket hub to avoid using spacers. Yours definitely looks to be working just fine, though.
    If it's not on the Rocky Mountain web site they are probably sold out. You might call them and ask when they will have more. I had to wait almost 6 months for my hubs. They manufacture all of the Tusk stuff in house basically. The factory 350x sprocket hub was pressed on and didn't even try it. Spacers were easier in this situation and I feel comfortable with them.

--

Also just a thought a stock 300ex axle is wider than your factory 350x axle. Not by much but would allow you to use the extended 400ex hubs wich are Plus 3.5 total. Plus the. Enter sprocket options. I'd wager my money say it works.

Ranvier is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Powell View Post
    Here's the hubs I didn't have to mod anything else besides the spacers.

Those hubs are a good buy at 100 bucks. I spent nearly that much on spacers.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranvier View Post
    Those hubs are a good buy at 100 bucks. I spent nearly that much on spacers.
    Yeah I thought so also. They look awesome they weigh a bit more than stock Honda hubs but are billet vs cast. They have pressed in steel inserts plus in crease track width 3.5". So far no issues on either bike.

Ranvier is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    So total width 3.5" wider?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranvier View Post
    So total width 3.5" wider?
    Yeah just the hubs are 3.5". 1.75 each hub.

andnuaa is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Will the 300ex brake disc hub work ? Or will you still need the 350x brake disc hub

--
    Quote Originally Posted by andnuaa View Post
    Will the 300ex brake disc hub work ? Or will you still need the 350x brake disc hub
    I used my factory 350x brakes. I think I researched and the 300ex disc is larger. I don't remember exactly. So to answer your question I don't know for sure but I don't believe so.

--

So I emailed rocky mountain atv they currently have no 300ex axles available but they will produce more if they get enough requests. So if I was you guys I'd email there sales team via the website. Also I was looking on eBay and the magnum axles have decent reviews. 195$. I personally can't guarantee they fit but I didn't know for sure the 300ex axle would work till I did it. Hope that (or any of this helps)

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Powell View Post
    So I emailed rocky mountain atv they currently have no 300ex axles available but they will produce more if they get enough requests. So if I was you guys I'd email there sales team via the website. Also I was looking on eBay and the magnum axles have decent reviews. 195$. I personally can't guarantee they fit but I didn't know for sure the 300ex axle would work till I did it. Hope that (or any of this helps)

I am considering a 300ex axle for the same reason you are, more options but I may just stick with 350x axle and buy some Tusk spacers and get a dual row carrier. Back in the day we had homemade 4" spacers (8" total!!) and we chewed up bearings constantly. Only options that we knew of were LSR or Durablue and that was out of the question then.
    I saw the Magnum one and also saw and an adjustable (spacers to move the hubs) made by Niche. Niche makes a dual row carrier that gets favorable reviews.

What axle nut you use? I always had a time keeping this tight and want to use a Durablue posi-lock.

BTW.....Your bike looks amazing!!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //