//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New member from Ontario Canada

--

New member from Ontario Canada

Good afternoon recently bought a 1985 Honda Big Red 250es. This is my first Honda 3 wheeler. When I was younger I had a KLT 250 as well as an older Honda TL125 dirt bike but always wanted a Big Red.

It needs some work on the plastics. It has the typical cracks in the fenders and the side panels are missing but other wise it is great.

Ran great when I first bought it but just yesterday I lost spark and it no longer starts. I am sure it will be straight forward to figure but would really like to get my hands on the service manual for it.

Does anyone know where I can download it?

Thanks

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

--
    Try oscarmayer.net

--
    Thanks checked that site and nothing for the 250es.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    You could always buy a paper one. I like those because I don't want to get dirt and grease on an expensive device. I also prefer a factory manual to an aftermarket one like a Clymer or a Haynes.

--
    Yeah I was just looking on amazon and I think I will order then Clymer manual. Want to get this fixed so I can get moving on repairing the the plastics.

Out of curiosity does anyone know if the 250sx ignition coil would be the same as the BR 250ES? The local parts store has the ax but not the es.

Thanks again, amazing site

Jason

--
    So i ordered the Clymer manual and it should be here by the end of the week. While i am waiting I have been going through this forum trying to understand as much as I can about common "No Spark" issues. i have noted that there are a lot of issues with the CDI's and it seems like it might be a good idea to have a spare one even if that is not my current issue.

So to that end i started looking around for a replacement CDI and I cannot find anything new or aftermarket for the 1985 250es. I am stuck with just used? Is there a way to convert the harness i have to sue one form an 86? i saw that the 85 250r looks to be the same connector as mine but i have read on here that it is differnet. woudl it be the pinout is different or does the CDI work different on the 250r or on the 86 250es.

i know its a lot of questions, just trying to get my head around all this to make sure i am doing the right things and that i am prepapred with options once i get the manual and start trouble shooting.

thanks

--
    Welcome to the forum Jason.

Where abouts in Ontario? I have heard you can tap the CDI box and may get spark back. Phone the Honda dealer and see if they have stock on one in Canada. I ordered one up for my 200X.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    Thanks very much for that Rob I will try the tap method and will also call the Honda dealer.

I am north of Toronto near Lake Simcoe

--
    For electrical issues, send ps2fixer a pm. He's pretty sharp on this stuff.

--
    Thanks, will do. Once I get the manual and do some initial troubleshooting I will definitely reach out to him via PM.

Thanks again for the advice

--
    Although i have already ordered a Clymer Service manual i was finally able to find the Honda Service manual online on a different forum. I found the link in another thread here on 3ww but it was broken. after some digging i found the proper link. It has instructions for downloading manuals for many different models and manufacturers in case anyone is interested.

Like i said i already have the Clymer on order but it may also nice to have the Honda version for cross reference purposes.

Just copy and paste the link below into your web browser.

http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...ads.html#close

--
    Another quick question. With respect to the ignition coil is this interchangeable between the 250es, 250sx and the 250r? I thought i saw somewhere that they ES and the SX are interchangeable but when i went on the RMSTATOR website it looks like the they sell one for the 250r and the 250sx that is the same but they do not list the 250es. digging further if i look at the OEM parts list one of the part numbers does reference back to a 250es coil.

So i am confused and not sure which way to go here.

Still not 100% that i need one but i want to have it all worked out if i do need one. also may order one to have a spare just in case i need it down the road since they do seem to be hard to source.

thanks again and sorry for all the constant questions.

Jason

--
    You could use your downloaded manual to test your coil to see if it needs to be replaced.

--
    Yeah planning to do so as soon as it warms up a bit, too darn cold up here right now. So while I wait I am just trying to educate myself as best as possible, this site is perfect for that with the enormous wealth of knowledge here from everyone.

Thanks again

--
    Thankfully my problem was with a loose wire for the kill switch. No need to spend too much time figuring out the problem once I got my manual with the wiring diagrams.

Thanks for the help

Jason

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //