//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Atc250es engine/rear diff into Atc250sx frame?

ShaftDrive225dx is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

Atc250es engine/rear diff into Atc250sx frame?

I searched the old threads but couldn't find the answer, I have 85 atc bigred 250es that I got for free from a friend. The frame was in rough shape and missing all the plastics! The bike runs very well; I got my hands on a 85 Atc250sx frame and front end, well my 250es engine/differential, swap right over?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShaftDrive225dx is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4962.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	240756
    Here's a pic of what she's like so far, I just don't like the 2 piece fender option for the big red! I like the sportier look of the sx

--
    does you sx have the swing arm on it ? if so take your rear diff. off the big red and bolt it in and everything should be fine..
    our original 85 we bought new, 2 - 86 police specials
    250r dust runner
    04 Yamaha kodiaK 450 snowbuster ! Brute Force 750 dust collector .
    Bunch of es stuff I been buying for next builds....
    Gone but lives on in my aching body the mighty 350x collection . A Beat 85 es im gonna rebuild

--
    Quote Originally Posted by dustrunner View Post
    does you sx have the swing arm on it ? if so take your rear diff. off the big red and bolt it in and everything should be fine..
    I don't it's just the frame; Is the swing arm different than the big red? It's an 85 sx frame as well...

--
    There are year and models that shared a swinger or same piece, but my record keeping records are amiss.

ES is just an SX motor with electric start, that's enough to know it's swaps into another models cradle....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    There are year and models that shared a swinger or same piece, but my record keeping records are amiss.

ES is just an SX motor with electric start, that's enough to know it's swaps into another models cradle....
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Engines are identical. Direct swap, yes.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--

Atc250es engine/rear diff into Atc250sx frame?

Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Thankyou, for your response lol I didn't know exactly how to respond to the comment before yours! I was a little lost I seen the threads speaking on just the engine swap; but my question is will my swing arm/differential from the es bolt right up and work on sx frame along with es engine?

--
    The swing arms are interchangeable but the ES has lower (higher numerically) gears than the SX to make up for the 25" tires. So SX rear is your highway gears, ES rear are your tractor gears.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    The swing arms are interchangeable but the ES has lower (higher numerically) gears than the SX to make up for the 25" tires. So SX rear is your highway gears, ES rear are your tractor gears.
    Ok sweet thank you very much for your help tractor gears are good with me!

--
    I don't belive the swingarms will swap over. The SX has inboard pivots to meet the frame and I really think the ES pivots are outboard.

The engines are dimensionally the same and will swap between frames but the gearing in the transmission is different. ES has some lower gears. I use to have a little chart that showed this but can't find it now.

Since all your parts are '85, I would use the ES engine in the SX frame with SX swingarm. The ES rear diff had lower gears also. You could use either but I'd stick with the SX rear diff to keep the speed up. You'd have a torquey machine with the 22" tires. It would be geared really low with the ES diff and would need a 25" or so tire. Course that large won't likely fit a stock swingarm.

There's a link by the SX in my signature to make the gears in your head turn more. My SX; SX engine, TRX250 swingarm and rear diff with 25" tires.
    15T3FN1 CE/FI/SI with a Class A; Some of you might know what that means.

1986 ATC 200x, Gathering parts for a 200sx build.
    1985 ATC 250SX 25" tires, extended swingarm, snorkel and other mods for Alaska adventures.
    1985 ATC 250SX, Big plans for this one...
    1985 ATC 250ES, Big Red
    1984 ATC 125M's, 1.5 of 'em
    1983 ATC 110, BLUE!
    1974 ATC 70 Pink?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Name Brand View Post
    I don't belive the swingarms will swap over. The SX has inboard pivots to meet the frame and I really think the ES pivots are outboard.

The engines are dimensionally the same and will swap between frames but the gearing in the transmission is different. ES has some lower gears. I use to have a little chart that showed this but can't find it now.

Since all your parts are '85, I would use the ES engine in the SX frame with SX swingarm. The ES rear diff had lower gears also. You could use either but I'd stick with the SX rear diff to keep the speed up. You'd have a torquey machine with the 22" tires. It would be geared really low with the ES diff and would need a 25" or so tire. Course that large won't likely fit a stock swingarm.

There's a link by the SX in my signature to make the gears in your head turn more. My SX; SX engine, TRX250 swingarm and rear diff with 25" tires.
    Wow! Dang a I was hoping it would; but sounds like I better look into a sx swing arm... Thankyou for the help!

--
    I apologize if I was mistaken! Thought I knew all of that for fact...
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Hey , I may be just like the others. I'm so far away from the SX/ES, but I use to know that model very well.....

Your ES transmission is also a bit different than the 250SX, but yes, it bolts in.

As far as the right angle gearbox output, I'm not sure if it's exactly the same (I gave away my ES motor just a mere week ago).

And the swingarm, take a look on EBAY, pictures of the Big Red swinger appear to be far different than the 85 or 86/87 250SX.

Sometimes these guys can't get an answer at all which is why I chose to say "something", although not very informative at this point..... But I digress, I can't recall all of it but I do keep records in a book (which is buried somewhere), but I can't find it at the moment.

Anyhow, as I said along with others, the 250ES (although it does have some differences) does fit right into the SX cradle. But, I don't think the Big Red swingarms fit. Search for more posts, they are here at 3WW somewhere....

I am positive there is a thread somewhere about these swaps. I recall an upgraded 300cc motor that has a few changes that need to be done to get it all together.

As soon as I can find a 30' long shipping container, I can get back into all of it. My 20' x 16' shop can only do so much; Which is why some ATC's are in my basement.

Anyhoo, keep looking and posting, the answer is here at 3WW somewhere and I bet Ryan Dailey knows exactly whats up. I'm not sure what his board name is, but I will figure it out and try to send you in the right direction.

The sad frog says it all, pretty accurate picture.....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //