Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New Project - 86 200X

--
    Looks about right.. The same one i'm sure was used on many honda bikes
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	367.0 KB 
ID:	240878 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	36 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	240879

Shep
    Also as dc said open up that oil strainer it'll give u an idea of how frequent oil changes and or miles on motor if its never been cleaned before ive seen real clean one's too nasty full ones. Screws come out normal but large crank nut is reverse thread Click image for larger version. 

Views:	38 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	240880
    Last edited by Shep1970; 03-19-2017 at 10:54 AM.

DDQ is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Will do, thanks.

The tank was in worse shape than I thought. I just got done welding the bigger holes. I hope the liner will seal the rest.

Trackburger is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I've had 2 86 200X's in the past... one was from a collection and was so nice I didn't ride it much... the other was picked up cheap as it was missing a shift fork, and the engine was half torn apart as well. I found that that specific shift for was a rare as unicorn tears.... I had to buy another bottom end off eBay just to get that one piece!!! Lesson here is the parts are not getting any easier to find and most likely just get more expensive with time. If you plan on keeping the bike it wont hurt to buy extra parts when you see a good deal. you just might need them one day down the line (like the extra flywheel you had to buy to get the other parts. Worse case scenario you can keep what you need and then resell the extra stuff you don't think you want to keep to recoup some costs and help someone else get a part they need. I wish you the best of luck on this project, as mentioned before take your time, have fun and don't get frustrated. If it starts to seem over whelming stop and walk away for a while.

I sold both of mine and wish I had them both back. Hang onto it man.... nothing like a square frame 200x!!!!!!!!!!!
    1985 Honda ATC 250ES BIG RED
    1985 Honda ATC 350X
    1985 Honda FL670R Odyssey ROTAX conversion
    1993 Honda Type II 200
    2003 Honda TRX 90
    2006 Honda TRX 90

--
    Thanks for the encouragement. I am also finishing up an 85 atc70 build which I plan to sell to fund the rest of this 200x refurbishment IF i can get my hands on these last two parts and get it to start.

--
    Parts have started showing up!

--
    More parts! As soon as the clutch lifter piece arrives I can slap on the covers and bolt up the engine. Although, it would not hurt anything to instal the clutch cover without the lifter just to see if it will start, right?

--
    Um, i suppose if the large center nut and four clutch bolts are tight u could try to start it. I would remove the bearing
    That the pin rides against, you dont want that bearing coming out at engine speed. Its just kinda sitting there in a cavity
    Just pop it out. Click image for larger version. 

Views:	27 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	241329

Shep

--
    OK, thanks for the info. I think I will go ahead and put the motor together and in the frame and wait on the clutch lifter.

--
    I am putting the top end back together today. I discovered there was no o-ring on the left here. I must have lost it during disassembly and I can not find it anywhere. The o-ring pictured is one I took out of my SAE o-ring variety pack. Will it work or do I need to try to find one closer matching the o-ring on the right?

--
    I dont think i'd want to mess around with the wrong o-ring there, does it rise above the surface at all? Auto parts store
    Will/should have a thicker one or maybe plumbing dept at lowes? If u want to wait a couple more days i'll send u a
    Postcard with one taped to it. Those holes lube the rockers/cam Click image for larger version. 

Views:	25 
Size:	240.1 KB 
ID:	241406

Shep

--
    Thank you for the offer. Tomorrow after work I will go to a hardware store and see if I can find a metric one closer to the o-ring on the right. If I can't then I will take you up on that! Does the o-ring on the right look correct? It does not look like it takes up much space in the groove.

--
    Here's a pic to compare yours if it helps Click image for larger version. 

Views:	38 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	241407

Shep

--
    Thank you, that does help. It looks like my o-ring on the right has shrank compared to the ones in your pic. If I can not find something very close at the hardware store I will shoot you a PM!

Husky250 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Very interesting thread. I bought an '86 a few years back and it took me 4 years and thousands of dollars to get running. The rod was bent. I had to get a new one that was "close" and have the whole crank and rod machined by Crank Works out in Arizona (after I got the part form Australia)(yes it was quicker than waiting for the next production run of the part which was about 8 months down the road). The carrier and axle were trashed so we fabbed up a new swinger out of a 300ex. Once all was said and done (yet still not finished) I had WAY too much money invested but I figure I saved another one from the scrap yard. Bout 2 months ago I hit a jump and watched my kick started sail off into the woods so that's the current project. Even with all the money and time invested (and headaches) it never fails to paste a grin on my face. You are doing great, thanks for the updates.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seat.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	241490 Not to hijack your thread but here's what I did with my seat since I am long of leg and bad of knee.
    Last edited by Husky250; 03-31-2017 at 12:45 PM.

--
    Get the right o rings from Honda.

Otherwise it will be like a ruptured artery and oil won't get there.

Gotta remember too that OEM can withstand heat and oil. Can a hardware stores do that? IDK....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //