//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New Project - 86 200X

--
    DDQ, did you happen to check the parts list for that bike? I ask because sometimes it will give you the bolt/nut/washer/orings/etc size and then you can go from there.

I keep a big box of assorted Metric orings I bought from somewhere years ago (HB, I think) and I frequently pull from that box when I need to replace one the last ten years.

Holler at me if you can't find the size and I might have it. No charge to you.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

DDQ is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Thank you for the offer. It did list the o-ring dimensions but I could not find that size locally. Honda still offers the o-ring so I ordered two last week. Everything I need to try to start the motor should be here early next week so hopefully I will be kicking it over by mid week.

--
    I don't want to get too off topic, but while I am waiting for parts....

I got this motor along with the 86 200x motor when I bought the bike. It has a damaged case from chain whack but looks like it could be useable with a new flywheel cover. Does anyone know what the motor came out of? The guy who sold it to me thought it was an xr200 motor but it is forward kick start.

--
    1st Gen 200X

To be sure, run the first few on the motor Vin and compare it to that chart Monroe Mike put up in the other thread

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ironchop; 04-01-2017 at 05:21 PM.

--
    Thanks, using that list it looks like an 83.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    I ask because sometimes it will give you the bolt/nut/washer/orings/etc size and then you can go from there
    Yea I do that as well and it's very helpful when I purchase things through Ebay.

DDQ....... what's the plan for the X motor? Gonna hop-it-up?

--
    The plan for the 83 motor is to hold on to it until I find out if the 86 motor will run. I know the 83 motor would not just bolt in to the 86 frame but I am a pretty good fabricator and I think I could get it to work.

If the 86 motor starts then I will likely sell the 83 motor. I do not see enough 200x rollers around here to make it worth holding on to.

--
    I spent all night working on this bike. As I was putting it in the frame I noticed some rust through the intake manifold. I removed the manifold and found this:

The valve opened and close fine. I put tge motor at TDC, turned it upside down and sprayed brake cleaner in the valve. Most of the rust came out so I continued with the installation.
    Late last night I ran into a huge blow to my confidence. I got the motor sealed up, put it in the bike, had good spark and then kicked it over. It felt weak on compression so I went to town and bought a compression tester. Here is what I got:

I put a tablespoon of oil in the spark plug hole, tested it again and got 85 psi.

I feel I should also mention that I reused the head gasket when I put the head back on. I sprayed soapy water around the gasket area and kicked the motor over but did not see any air bubbles.

So, this is where I am now:

I do not have a valve spring compressor and am not sure where to go from here. Do I need a new piston and bore? Can I get away with just buying rings? What about the valves? I still do not know for sure that everything in the bottom end is good so I am getting real nervous about spending a bunch of money on the top end.

--
    It doesn't take much valve leaking to greatly reduce compression. On my 86 the exhaust valve was bent a little and I got no compression numbers.

I would yank that head back off and purchase 2 new valves and lap them well......if the seats are good. With all the rust you will probably need new valve seals anyway. And if your in there it may be a good move to do the rings as well.

As far as a ring compressor you really don't need one. I made this contraption many years ago.......an old spark plug socket and a c-clamp. I have rebuilt 20 motorcycle engines and 3 car engines with it and it worked fine. I will probably use it till I die.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

--
    Is there any secret to getting the cylinder off so that I can inspect the rings? I have tapped all around it with a rubber mallet and it has not budged. I am scared I will break a fin off.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by DDQ View Post
    Is there any secret to getting the cylinder off so that I can inspect the rings? I have tapped all around it with a rubber mallet and it has not budged. I am scared I will break a fin off.
    Sometimes there's no other way than to get ugly with it.

I use plastic scrapers as an alternative to anything metal when I can. Not the plastic razors but the scrapers. They work for me around 80% of the time

--
    I finally got the cylinder off and found the top two piston rings are stuck in the grooves. I bet it is due to rust since I was told this bike sat for over 20 years.

--
    I got the rings out...

My hope is that I can just clean the grooves, put new rings in and do another compression check.

--
    At the very least, you need to pull the jug, hone it and put in new piston and rings.

It obviously wasn't being taking care of. I would be splitting the case myself for piece of mind.

They sell a nice kit for about 30$ on EBAY for valve spring compressors. Lots of adapters and such....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    I really do not want to split these cases. I think the bottom end is good. Everything I can see is clean, it shifts, and the oil screen was perfectly clean and it was sealed in with what looked like the original gasket.

If I have to get this cylinder honed I might as well get it bored for the next size up piston. My local machine shop takes 3 weeks to do any work so I was really hoping to avoid having to get machine work done.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //