//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New Project - 86 200X

DDQ is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

New Project - 86 200X

I am very apprehensive about this project. I spent a little more than I wanted to on a bike with unknown motor condition and cosmetic damage. I have never messed with any atc larger than a 125 and it seems like it is going to be very expensive to aquire the items I do not have : rear fenders, seat, and front fender which is cracked and brittle. The man I purchased it from says he bought it from a man who had parked the bike for 23 years. The seller I purchased it from took the motor out to start a rebuild but lost interest and got scared.The motor is free and the trans will bench shift but the seller says when he took the covers off to paint them something did not look right with the timing chains so he put it back together and gave up. Needless to say, I will be looking for an online service manual and taking a look at the timing chain assembly. I am HOPING this motor will not need the cases split.

6bt is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Try Maier for plastic? It's a lot nicer then it used to be.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

--
    Is the seat pan built into the fenders?

86125m is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    no you are going to have to find a pan and foam if you do not have them.

--
    Is the pan metal or plastic?

--
    Here's a nice one on ebay...original plastic plan, foam and seat cover. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-ATC200X...5YvwYi&vxp=mtr
    Real men ride trikes!

--
    Looks like a real good start, hows the gas tank? Maybe the trannies fine, it wont shift standing still you need to at least turn
    The output shaft (small sprocket). just be paitient(sp) with the seat you'll find one. Make sure theres no nasty blue sealant squirting out from any gaskets.... If there is open it up anyway(sides) to clean it out.

Shep

--
    You'll also need the seat bracket if you don't have one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-ATC200X...5YwGJ7&vxp=mtr
    Real men ride trikes!

--
    The tank is rusty but I have seen worse. I will be able to clean and coat it I with no problems I believe.

If the pan is plastic I guess this is it. Am I better off trying to use it or buy a used seat?

--
    That's the plastic pan, but you will still need the foam. That pan looks rough, was it melted? I would just check ebay for a decent pan, foam and seat cover instead of wasting your time with that pan. Seat covers can be had for $30-$40 on ebay.
    Real men ride trikes!

--
    Thanks. That pan is not melted but it looks like the plastic sat outside in the sun for a loooong time.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by DDQ View Post
    I am very apprehensive about this project. I spent a little more than I wanted to on a bike with unknown motor condition and cosmetic damage. I have never messed with any atc larger than a 125

The seller I purchased it from took the motor out to start a rebuild but lost interest and got scared.
    There is no secret that parts for the second generation X will be costly and more scarce but there out there.

Step 1.........before you purchase 1 thing for this bike......put it back together and get it running. If you need something to get it running that's different but anything else will have to wait just in case the internals are catastrophic. You may need to split the cases but that's fine but first try to get it running without it. When someone says "it doesn't look right in there" that's normal cause for concern but not a deal breaker. Seriously........not one cent until it idles (unless parts are needed to make it idle).

Step 2.........everything else. I've always found things are way more expensive when your looking for them than when your not. This thing can easily be $2000 plus in parts so take your time. I've seen things at swap meets so make the rounds........even CL.........although the era of naive sellers was over in 2015....still some don't know.

Good luck. Here's some reading on my 200X recomission if you get board.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...commission-ATC

--
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    There is no secret that parts for the second generation X will be costly and more scarce but there out there.

Step 1.........before you purchase 1 thing for this bike......put it back together and get it running. If you need something to get it running that's different but anything else will have to wait just in case the internals are catastrophic. You may need to split the cases but that's fine but first try to get it running without it. When someone says "it doesn't look right in there" that's normal cause for concern but not a deal breaker. Seriously........not one cent until it idles (unless parts are needed to make it idle).

Step 2.........everything else. I've always found things are way more expensive when your looking for them than when your not. This thing can easily be $2000 plus in parts so take your time. I've seen things at swap meets so make the rounds........even CL.........although the era of naive sellers was over in 2015....still some don't know.

Good luck. Here's some reading on my 200X recomission if you get board.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...commission-ATC

Thank you!

--
    Right off the get-go I see that I am missing the clutch lifter piece that sits on the clutch arm inside the right cover.

Nothing jumps out at me with the timing chain and oil pump chain except the amount of slack in the oil pump chain and the amount of movement in the oil pump sprocket shaft. Is this normal?

https://youtu.be/DG4a1FpXOms

Also, looking at the manual, it does not look like the timing chain has any idler wheels between sprockets as it goes through the cylinder and head. What keeps the chain on track? Today I plan to pull the tensioner off to inspect it.

--
    Here is where I am at now....

The motor would not turn over by hand so I dove in and found a rust spot on the cylinder wall. I took care of it and the motor is now free.

Here is what I am missing and I hope someone can tell me if these parts will be possible to find before I go any further:

Flywheel bolt

Thrust washer for kick start shaft that goes against the inside of the case

Clutch lifter piece that goes here...

Camshaft bearing holder that goes under these two bolts and the two longer bolts that go in the other side through the head:

Oring for the carb where is goes against the manifold

Obviously, I will need the carb oring, cam bearing holder and bolts and the flywheel bolt to see if the motor will run.

I really want to continue this project if these parts can be found.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //