//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 1983 Mustang GT Project

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Good stuff Bryan. I wanted to do the complete opposite with mine. I wanted to stuff a honking FE big block in mine. Total wrong engine for that car, but right for me.
    I'd love to do a 351c swap, but there's nothing cheap about a Cleveland, nor an FE for that matter. My original intention was a Coyote swap, but I couldn't pass up this 3v for what I have in it. I have all the wiring and computer from the 06 also.

--
    Don't forget to post this up on STLM! Lol. I've still got my 85 and 92 GTs. I've had them since 1999 and 2000 respectively. I put antique plates on the 92 this year!
    08 Outlaw 525s
    07 CRF70
    04 Harley FLHRCI
    04 TRX90
    03 XR650R
    03 400EX- XR650R engine
    02 XR100R

01 Banshee
    00 XR50R
    00 XR70R

99 PW50
    99 JR50
    96,95 Sportsman 400
    95 Xplorer 400
    94 Indy XLT
    87 Trail Boss
    86,86,86,86,86 Scrambler

86 TRX70 x2
    85 ATC350X
    85,84 ATC250R

85 Red Tecate
    85 LT50 x2
    84 XR500R
    84,84,84,84,83,82,80,79 ATC70
    82,79 XL500R

83 ALT50
    79,78,77,77,76 XT/TT500
    76,75,74 XL70
    72,71,71,71 SL70

72 Harley FX
    72,71,70,70,70,70,70 CT70H
    72 SL100
    70,69 Z50

--
    So that was a "Dealer" install AC system? I did not know FORD did that.

I have installed 100's of AC systems back in the day when it was an option. For most part. You could not tell if it came from the factory or was dealer installed.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown 331 View Post
    Don't forget to post this up on STLM! Lol. I've still got my 85 and 92 GTs. I've had them since 1999 and 2000 respectively. I put antique plates on the 92 this year!
    Haha, is that place still around? Last time I tried to go there, it wouldn't load.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Canadian View Post
    So that was a "Dealer" install AC system? I did not know FORD did that.

I have installed 100's of AC systems back in the day when it was an option. For most part. You could not tell if it came from the factory or was dealer installed.
    Yes, this was the system used to convert a non ac car to ac. The factory AC of the same year was a completely different system.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    Haha, is that place still around? Last time I tried to go there, it wouldn't load.
    It's around but super dead. I logged in a couple weeks ago and the only other person on there was 03 Steve! LOL. There were some forums that hadn't been posted in for years! Crazy! I think Facebook killed it.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown 331 View Post
    It's around but super dead. I logged in a couple weeks ago and the only other person on there was 03 Steve! LOL. There were some forums that hadn't been posted in for years! Crazy! I think Facebook killed it.
    That used to be a great place with some funny MF'ers on there. I met a lot of really good people off of there.

--
    Well this project is back on. I ditched the 3v 4.6 and I've decided to build a NMRA Factory Stock legal 302. This class consists of oem cast iron heads (E7, GT40, GT40P, H.O. or Cobra/Explorer intake, and camshaft with no more than .480 lift at the retainer. Camshaft will be custom and should rev close to 7k with proper spring package.

I started doing the body work and have a new set of wheels and tires coming and picked up a 5 lug 8.8 rear with 3.73 gears that will be swapped out for 4.56 gears.

Hopefully it will be ready for paint in the next couple weeks.

You can see in the second pic I found a super nice set of 85-86 bumper covers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bkm; 08-24-2017 at 12:59 AM.

--
    Glad to see you're getting back to it! Are aftermarket pistons legal to use or do they have to be the stockers?

Unrelated i know, but a friend of mine in high school had a mustang like that with that exact dent in the quarter where i tried nudging him out of a muddy place with the bumper of my truck
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 83ATC185 View Post
    Glad to see you're getting back to it! Are aftermarket pistons legal to use or do they have to be the stockers?

Unrelated i know, but a friend of mine in high school had a mustang like that with that exact dent in the quarter where i tried nudging him out of a muddy place with the bumper of my truck
    Yes. When they say factory stock, they mean 15-20k "stock" engines. The big boys are running dart blocks, super lightweight rotating assembly's and valve train components and buzzing these things at almost 8k rpm. A guy I've been talking to has 3k just in his piston and ring package.

I want to be compliant, but I'm not naive to think it will ever be competitive, but there are several guys who run a budget setup that run really well. What they lack in power, they make up for in weight, suspension, and clutch tuning. They surprise some people and every once in a while catch a big boy sleeping at the tree.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Well this project is back on. I ditched the 3v 4.6 and I've decided to build a NMRA Factory Stock legal 302. This class consists of oem cast iron heads (E7, GT40, GT40P, H.O. or Cobra/Explorer intake, and camshaft with no more than .480 lift at the retainer. Camshaft will be custom and should rev close to 7k with proper spring package.
    Very cool, and it sounds like you are quite familiar with building engines so my apologies if you already know the following, but if you don't have a cam guy picked out yet, I suggest you call Chris Straub and talk to him before you make a final decision. Tell him barnett from the 69stang forum suggested him. I have sent several people to him. I'm guessing you are familiar with Ed Curtis but I for one wouldn't give him a single dollar of my money and there are many others who feel the same. I would use a billet steel cam and Crane melonized steel cam gear. You will need to double check the gear height on any distributor for freeplay and binding.

http://www.straubtechnologies.com/

If you can run link bar lifters and haven't chosen any, I would use Morels, unfortunately, at that rpm, it is safest to use their high dollar ones which are around $650.00 but with the low lift, you could probably get by with their $400.00 limited travel ones. Lots of people use the $400.00 ones in high rpm, high spring pressure apps but there have been a few failures and Chris can tell you anything you want to know about then. He made the cam for Ed Morels 800 hp n/a race car engine. Cololrado speed has the best deal on them but Chris Straub will give you a few dollars off on them if you get a cam from him.

https://www.coloradospeed.com/

If you are going to use a timing chain instead of a gear drive, Rollmaster red or gold are a good value. They make them with torrington bearings if you want.

There are also some simple oiling system mods you can do including blueprinting the oil pump. If you are not aware of them I will gladly tell you what they are.

The best deal on custom 4032 material pistons are from Race Tech. It is around $575.00. It's around anther $100.00 if you want them to mirror image the dome to the head. Their 2618 material pistons are a little pricey. You can ask for Randy Gillis if you call there and tell him Mike Lillevig sent you. JE has a scanner and can scan the combustion chamber and match the piston to that if you want to go to that extent. Joe Sherman has many of his done this way but it's obviously overkill for a street app.

http://racetecpistons.com/

https://jepistons.com/

If you are not familiar with a site called yellowbullet.com, you should check them out but they may not be allowing any new members at this time. These are the NMRA guys and some of them know everyone and everything.

If you can run a ported intake and don't have a guy to do that, I would talk to Tmoss, he does them fairly cheap and many people use him and are very happy with the results.

http://tmoss.efidynotuning.com/

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    Very cool, and it sounds like you are quite familiar with building engines so my apologies if you already know the following, but if you don't have a cam guy picked out yet, I suggest you call Chris Straub and talk to him before you make a final decision. Tell him barnett from the 69stang forum suggested him. I have sent several people to him. I'm guessing you are familiar with Ed Curtis but I for one wouldn't give him a single dollar of my money and there are many others who feel the same. I would use a billet steel cam and Crane melonized steel cam gear. You will need to double check the gear height on any distributor for freeplay and binding.

http://www.straubtechnologies.com/

If you can run link bar lifters and haven't chosen any, I would use Morels, unfortunately, at that rpm, it is safest to use their high dollar ones which are around $650.00 but with the low lift, you could probably get by with their $400.00 limited travel ones. Lots of people use the $400.00 ones in high rpm, high spring pressure apps but there have been a few failures and Chris can tell you anything you want to know about then. He made the cam for Ed Morels 800 hp n/a race car engine. Cololrado speed has the best deal on them but Chris Straub will give you a few dollars off on them if you get a cam from him.

https://www.coloradospeed.com/

If you are going to use a timing chain instead of a gear drive, Rollmaster red or gold are a good value. They make them with torrington bearings if you want.

There are also some simple oiling system mods you can do including blueprinting the oil pump. If you are not aware of them I will gladly tell you what they are.

The best deal on custom 4032 material pistons are from Race Tech. It is around $575.00. It's around anther $100.00 if you want them to mirror image the dome to the head. Their 2618 material pistons are a little pricey. You can ask for Randy Gillis if you call there and tell him Mike Lillevig sent you. JE has a scanner and can scan the combustion chamber and match the piston to that if you want to go to that extent. Joe Sherman has many of his done this way but it's obviously overkill for a street app.

http://racetecpistons.com/

https://jepistons.com/

If you are not familiar with a site called yellowbullet.com, you should check them out but they may not be allowing any new members at this time. These are the NMRA guys and some of them know everyone and everything.

If you can run a ported intake and don't have a guy to do that, I would talk to Tmoss, he does them fairly cheap and many people use him and are very happy with the results.

http://tmoss.efidynotuning.com/

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR
    Lots of good info there barn, thank you. I have two guys I'm definitely going to contact and that is Buddy Rawls and Scott Brown out of Michigan. Class rules are no port work what so ever to the heads and intake with stock sized valves. Lifters have to be oem spider hold down hydraulic roller. 1 3/4 max diameter primary tube and 3" exhaust.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Lots of good info there barn, thank you. I have two guys I'm definitely going to contact and that is Buddy Rawls and Scott Brown out of Michigan. Class rules are no port work what so ever to the heads and intake with stock sized valves. Lifters have to be oem spider hold down hydraulic roller. 1 3/4 max diameter primary tube and 3" exhaust.
    You definitely can't go wrong with either of those guys and I wouldn't try to discourage you from using them, however, I would still give Chris a ring because info is free and he is very personable. Both Buddy and Scott know him. Unlike some other big name guys, he will actually get on the phone and spend a fair amount of time with people. He has made cams for many NMRA winners and some engine master competitors and some national championship boats etc. He is suggested way more than anyone else on yellowbullet.

As far as valves go, if you want something fancy yet still affordable, you might find some hollow stem ferrea intakes that would meet the size spec. You can safely cut the od of the head down around .010 if you need to to be within the rules.

Manley has some affordable ultra light weight tool steel retainers and I would look at their nextek springs as another good value in lightweight valve train parts but they don't make a lot of sizes in that style.

--
    I sent Chris an email, thanks for the heads up on the valvetrain parts. Class restrictions are limited to steel retainers and locks, so that helps keep cost down a tad vs. the TI stuff.

--
    I sent Chris an email, thanks for the heads up on the valvetrain parts. Class restrictions are limited to steel retainers and locks, so that helps keep cost down a tad vs. the TI stuff.
    No prob, hope some of it helps. I don't build class engines or dedicated race engines so I can't help much there. I leave that stuff to people that know way more than I do, but I do know a few tricks and a few trick parts that some people overlook.

I'm looking forward to watching your build and seeing it run. I love this shiit.

As far as emailing Chris, it may take a few days for him to get back to you but he has gotten on the phone right away every time I called and it's a faster way to get info, so maybe ring him if he doesn't get back to you by Monday night. He's very patient and won't rush you, plus he won't try to pressure sell you anything. The majority of the people that go to him have already decided to use him and they just tell him exactly to the T what they want their car to do and leave it up to him on how to make it run how they want.

If you want a lighter rotating assembly you can run an aluminum/steel flywheel. It is not as light as aluminum so it will not stall every time you leave a stop and the last time I looked they weren't overly expensive. You can also get some light weight steel rods for around $900.00 but I know that's a big chunk of change and maybe overkill for your app.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //