//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 1983 Mustang GT Project

--
    This will be a budget based interpretation of a true Factory Stock engine for that class. Unfortunately my pockets don't go deep enough to compete with even the lower portion of the field, but I think it will be fun none the less. I always love trying to do more with less. I could drop in an LS or bolt on a Turbo and make stupid power just like every other guy out there, but that's already been done a million times over.

I think trying to squeeze everything out of a little cast iron, non ported headed 302 is a lost art. Some, if not most, will argue it's not money well spent, but I'll take cubic knowledge over cubic dollars any day.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    ok, sounds like fun . been there and done that with 289's and 302's etc . the best bang for your buck for headers is hedman elites . nothing else even comes close . they use thick 5/16" flanges and thicker tubes than most others.

best exhaust gaskets are remflex or the soft aluminum ones and both are reasonably priced.

eagle rods are less than scats. stock rods will grenade . if you put arp bolts in stock rods it will cost almost as much as eagle rods will and they may still grenade.

alexs parts has some very good deals on non name brand stuff including drop in springs for 5.0 heads so you don't have to machine the spring bases.

https://www.alexsparts.com/

i would use cometic head gaskets even though they are pricey and would set the quench/squish to around .037" to reduce potential for detonation. this will allow you to run a little more compression.

scorpion rockers are the best bang for the buck but the race ones won't fit under stock or cobra valve covers . you need spacers or use their endurance ones but they cost a bit more . comp magnums are also decent. in fact, i may have a set or two of good used rockers if you want me to look but the ratio must be matched to the cam and your cam guy may very likely suggest 1.7's instead of the typical 1.6's, especially since you have to use a small base circle cam.

the site below often has good deals on used parts as well as craigslist and ehay.

http://www.racingjunk.com/

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    if you can run e85 or e90 corn gas you can run a lot more compression.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR

--
    howards cams has one of the best deal on thick wall pushrods which you must have. summit racing sells them.

if you build it yourself, don't forget to set up the rocker/valve train geometry . the majority of people don't think about that.

--
    They do allow 52cc chambers. That's the only modification besides a comp valve job and aftermarket oem size valves. Spec fuel is VP racing c12. I'll have two tunes, one for 93 pump and the other for C12. I'm going to start off with an "exploder" long block, custom cam/valve springs and like you said, scorpion rockers with the ratio based on the cam guys recommendation. The engine has gt40p heads so header fitment is crucial. I ran 1 5/8 bbk long tubes on my 93 GT with P heads and they worked great. If the cam guy recommends 1 3/4 I'll go with those, which believe it or not, fit better on the P heads than the 5/8's do.

I want to work from the flywheel back and then worry about a serious engine if this is something I really want to get into. Once the clutch, suspension, chassis, and tuning are dialed in, I can concentrate on a real engine package.

I've been in touch with a guy who has went 11.68 with a f/s, cam only explorer long block and that was at 3050 lbs. I think pushrods are allowed a 2800lb base weight now. The coyote is legal in this class so they give the pushrod guys a slight weight advantage.

https://youtu.be/-X66KA_jfMI
    Last edited by bkm; 08-25-2017 at 03:27 AM.

--
    What is an f/s cam?

HEADERS AND EXHAUST

1 5/8" headers are the biggest you need even at 7,000 rpm. Both the 65/66 production and racing Shelbys only had 1 1/2" and they put out around 306 hp at around 6000 rpm. You will lose hp with anything bigger than 1 5/8". Joe Sherman tested exhaust port air flow and said the majority of it exits out the center of the port with very little actually running along the walls of the port, and because of this, there would not be any appreciable loss in hp if the header was slightly smaller than the export at the header flange, however, this was with ambient air temp and not 900 degree hot air which is trying to expand so this is just his theory, but irregardless, if part of the header is smaller than the ex port, it still won't be a big deal, but at the very least I prefer to have the top of the header line up with the port since that is the outside of the curve in the port, and it seems logical that if anything, the exhaust gas would run closer to the roof then the floor of the port.

Just in case you didn't know, there are some new things out for exhaust like stepped headers and merge cones but these are pricey and overkill for your app, however, one thing that is critical is the size and length of the collector. This is an area that many people overlook which can cost them some hp and it is a fairly easy thing to do. I basically use the same size collector as the header, which in your case should be 2 1/2" and I make it so it ends between 14" and 16" from where the 4 tubes converge on the header if I plan to use smaller tube after the collector which I typically do when using headers with a 3" exit. Magnaflow mufflers are straight thru so they are low restriction but are stuffed with sound deadener so they don't cause much hp loss and aren't nearly as loud inside the car as chambered mufflers like the ubiquitous Flowmasters are. you will also need a crossover tube, or in your case an x pipe might work a little better.

COMPRESSION AND FUEL

If you are only going to use this as a weekend cruiser and occasional drag car and not as an every day driver and you don't use E85, you can still run around 11.5 compression with the type of cam you will have if you add TEL to the gas but you need to make sure the quench/squish clearance is between .034" and .042". If you can't run a dome piston in that class then the best you can do to get the compression up besides milling your heads as much as they allow is to use a flat top with with the smallest valve pockets you can and run the piston ring as close to the top of the piston as possible. You can also use gapless rings but they cost around $200.00 and up. If you have custom pistons made, ask the piston mfg about them and also contact total seal about them. If Kevin is there talk to him.

Here's one place to get TEL.

http://www.wildbillscorvette.com/octanesupreme01a.htm

SPARK PLUG HEAT RATING

You should run a plug that is one step colder than stock if your cranking compression is around 180 or more which it will be with 11.0:1 or higher compression.

SPARK PLUG BOOTS

If yours end up being close to the headers you can use ceramic boots instead of using the thermal socks. One of my plug wires literally caught on fire on one engine I had while I was breaking it in, lol.

--
    HEADER COLLECTOR DYNO TEST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ywUEz5XtdE

--
    F/S = Factory stock cam. .480 max lift, duration and intake center line is up to you.

It will be mostly a street car, but c12 is the spec fuel that must be used at any nmra event. E85 is starting to dry up around here so I don't want to mess with that.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    F/S = Factory stock cam. .480 max lift, duration and intake center line is up to you. It will be mostly a street car, but c12 is the spec fuel that must be used at any nmra event. E85 is starting to dry up around here so I don't want to mess with that.
    What trans and gears are you going to use?

--
    Astro 2.95 t5 and 4.56

--
    Going for the best mileage possible eh?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Going for the best mileage possible eh?
    Should turn close to 7k through the traps.

--
    Should turn close to 7k through the traps.

The "traps" being the Dairy Queen drive-through you promised to take the family to in that car?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    The "traps" being the Dairy Queen drive-through you promised to take the family to in that car?
    Did you talk to my wife today? You two sound exactly alike.

--
    Astro 2.95 t5 and 4.56

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //