//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 1983 Mustang GT Project

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    Did you talk to my wife today? You two sound exactly alike.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Na, I just happen to have a wife. I know how this stuff plays out.

Don't get me wrong, you're my hero for going this route with your build. You can't imagine the flak I went through when I finished my Ducati and then my Suzuki and then announced to my wife that I would not be able to drive them and would require another motorcycle. She said something about selling them and I've be pretending to be deaf ever since.

--
    My wife saw the mickey thompson's sitting in the corner of the garage and said, "boy, those really look like family car tires!"

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    My wife saw the mickey thompson's sitting in the corner of the garage and said, "boy, those really look like family car tires!"

Traction is a form of bonding... think about it!

--
    Finally got to work on the Shitbox Fox. Google "$50 paint job."

--
    Looks nice from here!

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Looks nice from here!

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Pictures do it justice. Lots of wet sanding ahead of me. But it's an $800 car deserving of a $50 paint job. I will have more in the valvetrain than I have in the car itself. Lol

--
    I wet sanded with 600 because I had some serious leveling to do, then rolled on another coat. Dust contamination is my biggest enemy right now. Next step is 1000 grit, then what should be the last coat. I'll wet it with 1500, then 3000 meguiars unigrit, then compound, then polish. Way more work than it has to be, but I didn't want to mess with spraying the paint on.
    Last edited by bkm; 02-18-2018 at 07:34 PM.

--
    Looks awesome!

About 1,000,000 X better than I would have thought you could do with that method, but then again, what do I know? Saw a guy duplicate a Rembrandt on TV once with house paint in less than 2 hours.

How long did you let it cure before you started sanding?
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Looks awesome!

About 1,000,000 X better than I would have thought you could do with that method, but then again, what do I know? Saw a guy duplicate a Rembrandt on TV once with house paint in less than 2 hours.

How long did you let it cure before you started sanding?
    I'm actually surprised myself and had low expectations going into it. The first two coats were rolled and tipped with a brush, but you could see brush lines really bad. This coat was just rolled, but I thinned it more with the penetrol and it layed super flat.

I let it dry three days. I was worried about it being too soft, but I got no build up in the paper when I sanded. I think a big difference in my method is I'm using an enamel hardener that most guys don't do and it takes a while to cure before you can sand it if you don't use it. Plus the hardener gives it a nice shine as you can see. A lot of these Rustoleum jobs have a satin finish to them even when using gloss.

It'll be a 5 footer when done and seeing the method used coupled with my below average bodywork skills, I'm completely fine with that.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2wheels View Post
    Looks like fun!
    I once had an 83 convertible not-GT (GLX??? - been a long time) 5.0 5sp that looked a lot like the vert in the background.
    I had a lot of fun in that car - even with the cracked floorpans and 14" tires
    I acquired the same car triple black with the T5 and a 7.5 rear. I have an 8.8 with rear disc conversion and a built 351C upgrade planned.
    I need to finish my 73 before I delve into the fox body.

--
    I did some more wet sanding and put another coat on the hood and fenders.

--
    Wyd? I need to look up this paint system
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86T3 View Post
    Wyd? I need to look up this paint system
    For those who don't feel like Googling it.

I'm painting this car with Rustoleum Topside gloss black and a foam roller. The paint is thinned with Floods Penetrol and has enamel hardener added to it. The penetrol levels the paint and removes all roller marks. The only problem is dust and it likes being flat or it will get sags if you're not careful. The quarter panels will need very thin coats to keep it from running.

Next step is wetsanding to remove any surface contaminates and then buff.

--
    Thanks for the cliffnotes version. That's insane. I can say this with 100% certainty, if you have the patience for body work like that you definitely have the patience to be a tecate owner
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86T3 View Post
    Thanks for the cliffnotes version. That's insane. I can say this with 100% certainty, if you have the patience for body work like that you definitely have the patience to be a tecate owner
    Like I said in an earlier post, the pictures don't tell the whole story. There are plenty of blemishes that don't show up in the pics that are the result of my subpar bodywork skills. It's gonna be a 3 foot paint job, but what the hell, I ain't taking it to the fair.

Hopefully all my patience isn't used up on the Shitbox so I have a little left over for the T3.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //