//ArrowChat Code
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: 1983 Mustang GT Project

3Z with Fangs! is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown 331 View Post
    I'm kind of in the middle of putting together an engine for my 1985 GT. I bought the car in Indiana in 1999. As I was backing out of the guys driveway he stopped me and said we better check the coolant for my drive back. I daily drove the car for about 2 years and it used coolant the entire time. And finally got bad enough to where it was steaming out one of the tail pipes. I pulled that head, had it cracked checked, it was good. I put it back on and had the same issue. I guess the block is possibly cracked. I'm going to hang on to the original engine but I'm putting together something else for it now. I have a stock bottom end out of a 91 Mustang, the regular GT40 iron heads, b303 Cam and 1.7 roller rockers. I'm going to run the stock Aluminum Intake and the stock headers for the Dual snorkel set up. This isn't a high performance build but just something to get the car back on the road with parts I have laying around.
    Long tubes man, you'll never regret them on a 5.0. I even ran a cheap set of Flowtech Headers with their matching H pipe on the 85 that I had, very nice power gain for cheap and they sound great too.

3Z with Fangs! is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    New carb is here. I went with an AED 650HO. I'm also waiting on the Pac racing valve Springs and for the heads to come back from the machine shop with a fresh valve job so I can start setting up the valve spring heights. The cam should be here in a couple of weeks, then I can get the engine together.
    I'm sure that'll be a great little carb brother! I run nothing but PAC springs and the old iron GT40'S on my Cobra are ported but they're still a pretty great head even unported. The valve job if it's a good one should help a lot. I'd blend the bowls myself if I were you though.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Z with Fangs! View Post
    I'm sure that'll be a great little carb brother! I run nothing but PAC springs and the old iron GT40'S on my Cobra are ported but they're still a pretty great head even unported. The valve job if it's a good one should help a lot. I'd blend the bowls myself if I were you though.
    The machine shop does serdi valve jobs and they blend them into the bowl and chamber. I'm going to see how far I can push these iron heads unported before I step up to a cnc'd aluminum head. Once it's running my main concern will be from the flywheel back.

--
    Yup, my Cobra has an Astro T5 in it's future!

--
    I'm still messing with this pile of garbage. I decided on a transmission and picked up a fresh toploader, V-Gate shifter, Fidanza aluminum flywheel, and Ram powergrip HD clutch and Romac balancer. It should rev a lot faster with the lightweight balancer and flywheel.

I also said fug it, and picked up a full chromoly front tubular suspension with A-arms and coil over kit.

I have the engine torn down to the crankshaft and pistons getting ready to check ptv clearance.

My goal is to have it leave the garage under it's own power before years end.

--
    Freakin shweet
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    *Drool*

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    I'm still messing with this pile of garbage. I decided on a transmission and picked up a fresh toploader, V-Gate shifter, Fidanza aluminum flywheel, and Ram powergrip HD clutch and Romac balancer. It should rev a lot faster with the lightweight balancer and flywheel.

I also said fug it, and picked up a full chromoly front tubular suspension with A-arms and coil over kit.
    To add to my *Drool.....

Do you always throw your wallet at a pile of garbage?

"I picked up this, I picked up that"... all blah-zay like. HAHA

That looks more like a Jegs shopping spree to me.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    To add to my *Drool.....

Do you always throw your wallet at a pile of garbage?

"I picked up this, I picked up that"... all blah-zay like. HAHA

That looks more like a Jegs shopping spree to me.

Lol, I've been working 60-70 hrs a week for the last few months so most of the overtime has gone towards the Mustang. In the past I've always built the engine and had no supporting parts whatsoever, but now I'm doing just the opposite. The body and interior will come after the driveline is sorted out. Also, since I really have no hard set timeline, I wait for some other schlep to use some of this stuff for 100 miles and then sell it for less than half of new.

--
    Huge piece of the puzzle. I've been looking for this bellhousing for about a year now. This mounts a Toploader 4speed to small block ford, but uses late model style cable pull clutch like the fox and later Mustangs.

The toploader shares the Tremec bolt pattern, but has a shorter input shaft making this bellhousing toploader specific and not very common because it's not a popular swap since everyone wants overdrive. Lakewood stopped making these years ago and most guys who have them laying around don't know what the hell they fit.

--
    So how soon before you're sideways in this thing?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    So how soon before you're sideways in this thing?

I'm so far behind, I think that I'm leading the race.

--
    Well here were are with another direction in this build. So if you're keeping score at home, it now has a Holley Terminator X efi engine management, Vortech S-trim centrifugal supercharger, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, and some weight reduction. Check back next week and see what direction it'll be heading.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //