//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Race tech gold valve emulators on 350x

--
    Worth every penny. About 35 miles in on my way back and these are great. Forks are much more fluid. Have more travel but no where near bottoming out. Bump steer is almost eliminated. Rebound seems more fluid. And what used to beat my shoulders up in the rocks is now nice and plush. Call race tech. They will change your bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranvier is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Powell View Post
    Worth every penny. About 35 miles in on my way back and these are great. Forks are much more fluid. Have more travel but no where near bottoming out. Bump steer is almost eliminated. Rebound seems more fluid. And what used to beat my shoulders up in the rocks is now nice and plush. Call race tech. They will change your bike.

If you had to stage the suspension upgrades, would you start with the forks or rear shock? Thanks for writing this up.
    Last edited by Ranvier; 03-19-2017 at 02:35 PM.

--

Race tech gold valve emulators on 350x

Quote Originally Posted by Ranvier View Post
    If you had to stage the suspension upgrades, would you start with the forks or rear shock? Thanks for writing this up.
    You'd be super imbalanced doing one not the other. I'd start with springs front and rear. Then do the valves later. Or collect parts until you have everything. THats basically what I did. Springs together. Then rear shock valves. Then emulators.

--
    Now I didn't say or imply that anything did happen. We just don't believe without pictures.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    Now I didn't say or imply that anything did happen. We just don't believe without pictures.
    Haha. Yeah I'm gonna be of no help on that one. Last thing I need is to be takin and posting pictures of random girls you're more than welcome to venture on in there and take a peek

--
    I also installed these emulators on my machine. However, I've not spent any time tuning.

Looks like your initial setup was the recommended 15 weight oil and 2.5 turns preload on the emulator. Did you do anything to tweak them from there?
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

Ranvier is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderboy View Post
    I also installed these emulators on my machine. However, I've not spent any time tuning.

Looks like your initial setup was the recommended 15 weight oil and 2.5 turns preload on the emulator. Did you do anything to tweak them from there?
    Are you running progressive springs?

--

No. Figured I'd run them and see how I liked it. Feels a bit loose. Rebound is fine. I might go in there and crank em a half turn. But I'm gonna do another ride to see. I never bottomed out even in the black diamond trails so I'll leave it for now.

--

Race tech gold valve emulators on 350x

Sorry. Thought that was directed at me. Carry on

--
    My question was definitely directed at you Shawn. Thanks for your info! I hardly have any run time on my machine with the emulators so I'd like to know where you settle with your setup. My machine isn't using the progressive spring though (to answer Ranvier's question). Hopefully I get a lot more riding in this season than I did last and I can tune as well.

Good luck with your tuning!
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    My question was definitely directed at you Shawn. Thanks for your info! I hardly have any run time on my machine with the emulators so I'd like to know where you settle with your setup. My machine isn't using the progressive spring though (to answer Ranvier's question). Hopefully I get a lot more riding in this season than I did last and I can tune as well.

Good luck with your tuning!
    What weight spring did you end up going with and what's your weight? Let me know yours also. Gonna go for another ride next weekend and probably some more miles than last time. I think I like it as is but might tighten it up.

--
    This thread is a peach already Shawn, thank you!
    The pictures, and details of weight & spring selection are very informative and valuable.
    Please do share whatever tweaks you make in the future and your feelings about the results with us all

Keep at it Shawn, you are already a superb resource, inspiring us new members and 350x project builders!

My question for you: with the increased capacity of your suspension, what is next on your upgrade path?
    Me thinks maybe frame gussets would be wise given your plan for new triples and upside down forks.
    Thanks again for sharing
    Don

--
    I went very un-scientific on my spring selection. In fact, I don't remember what springs I stuck in there. I had a large assortment of springs from 200X, 350X, and 250R (83/84). I don't actually remember what I stuck in the tubes, but I had to make a short spacer of PVC, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't the 350X springs... now that I think about it more, I'm pretty sure it was the 83/84 250R springs.

My plan was to measure the spring rates of the stuff I had using a poor-mans spring rate rig: piece of plumbing pipe held vertically to keep the spring straight, with dumbell weights stacked on top spring, and then measure the deflection. Spring rate = force/deflection. I may have jotted notes but I can't remember what I found out.

So, as for my springs, I'm running something that fit of unknown rate... yea, very scientific!

As for myself, I'm about 205-210 (depending on how big of a lie I want to tell).

Now that we're diving back into this topic, I'll have to either locate my notes on the spring rates, or just go and re-measure the different springs I had (just for information).
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamonDon View Post
    This thread is a peach already Shawn, thank you!
    The pictures, and details of weight & spring selection are very informative and valuable.
    Please do share whatever tweaks you make in the future and your feelings about the results with us all

Keep at it Shawn, you are already a superb resource, inspiring us new members and 350x project builders!

My question for you: with the increased capacity of your suspension, what is next on your upgrade path?
    Me thinks maybe frame gussets would be wise given your plan for new triples and upside down forks.
    Thanks again for sharing
    Don
    If I ever get the inverted from kit I'll probably do the gusset kit and a big bore motor. Maybe a 426 or 452 kit. But if not I think I'm gonna leave it as be and just ride the out of it. I have a plus 2 swinger and equally rebuilt rear shock I'm happy with. I most likely won't do the big bore motor based on fuel range. I trail ride and go long routes and my next project is a rotopax mount for a 3 gallon can so I can go deep and not worry. Before that I'm actually going to build a 200x with 350x front end a 3 gallon tank Plus auxiliary tank and a mild motor for a trail rider. Smaller motor means better mileage right? So for now , we ride it. Thanks for the compliments

--
    I went very un-scientific on my spring selection. In fact, I don't remember what springs I stuck in there. I had a large assortment of springs from 200X, 350X, and 250R (83/84). I don't actually remember what I stuck in the tubes, but I had to make a short spacer of PVC, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't the 350X springs... now that I think about it more, I'm pretty sure it was the 83/84 250R springs.

My plan was to measure the spring rates of the stuff I had using a poor-mans spring rate rig: piece of plumbing pipe held vertically to keep the spring straight, with dumbell weights stacked on top spring, and then measure the deflection. Spring rate = force/deflection. I may have jotted notes but I can't remember what I found out.

So, as for my springs, I'm running something that fit of unknown rate... yea, very scientific!

As for myself, I'm about 205-210 (depending on how big of a lie I want to tell).

Now that we're diving back into this topic, I'll have to either locate my notes on the spring rates, or just go and re-measure the different springs I had (just for information).
    Yeah 84 250r springs are stiffer than 350x springs so you went the right route. Really depends on how you like it. If not I like the progressive spring kit for trails. If you want a more responsive feel for high speed stuff and racing race tech is great

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //