//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Race tech gold valve emulators on 350x

Ranvier is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Any idea what weight the stock springs were designed for? I am tempted to throw the emulators in as is. In gear I'm probably 175#.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranvier View Post
    Any idea what weight the stock springs were designed for? I am tempted to throw the emulators in as is. In gear I'm probably 175#.
    I personally wouldn't recommend that. You'd have to lose your upper springs to properly set your preload and I think with drilling out your compression holes on your damping rod you'd be so soft it would be a disaster. If anything I would do springs and new heavier ,15w maybe,oil first. Set your oil to factory specs (10 ounces) and run that. Then when you can do the emulators your already set with parts. I could be wrong. Call race tech and talk to Brad. He's the one who set up mine and the the atv on demand mx racer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranvier is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Powell View Post
    I personally wouldn't recommend that. You'd have to lose your upper springs to properly set your preload and I think with drilling out your compression holes on your damping rod you'd be so soft it would be a disaster. If anything I would do springs and new heavier ,15w maybe,oil first. Set your oil to factory specs (10 ounces) and run that. Then when you can do the emulators your already set with parts. I could be wrong. Call race tech and talk to Brad. He's the one who set up mine and the the atv on demand mx racer.

Thanks Shawn. I only want to open them up once if possible. I see progressive springs online for less than. 100 a pair. I'm planning on mixed trails and some MX.

--
    Well if you can swing the springs and emulators at the same time then do that or collect parts of you only wanna open them up once. The emulators are about 165$ plus shipping. Worth every penny. Your a bit lighter than me so I'd give my unprofessional opinion the progressives would be great for you for mixed riding. Keep in mind for the springs you only have to pop the top tube cap and drain and refill. Much easier than the emulators. So if you did it twice not as bad.

--
    Holy bump! Hasn't been that long. Took her out for another ride today. Can't see myself adjusting these as they ride great. 5psi of air in my front tire and feels great. I might actually open my rear shock up and loosen up the valves in that.

--
    Gonna add this for the race tech suspension interested.
    Not gonna do a whole break down but if you have questions ask. Race tech will do this for you for 100$. It's pretty hard to do. You need some special tools. That being said I did it. Haven't ridden it yet but hopefully next weekend. The valve holes are huge difference. Plus you go to 2.5 w oil.

--
    No link? But those valves do sound interesting.
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    You're always a couple steps ahead of me Shawn! I've got my shock stripped down and was putting off ordering the gold valve, seals, and oil until I figure out if I'm doing my kids 200x shock at the same time... Let us know how it goes! Are you going to run the stock spring or one of the racetech recommended rates? For a 210 pound rider (me) it recommended a 16.1 kg/mm spring (stiff).
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    Wonderboy I already have the 16.1kg spring. I had a buddy modify my stock shim pack originally. But the valve in comparison is like a different animal. I had leaky seals is how it got started the first time. When I got the bike I actually got two shocks ( among other parts) so this is actually my spare shock. Keep in mind when you order the gold valve order race techs oil also. They change it to 2.5 weight to flow better. Allegedly it's a synthetic that won't break down even under terrible conditions.

--
    Modified shim pack 1985 shock on the right vs 1986 race tech gold valve custom shim pack on the left. Doesn't look like much difference but the new one moves WAY easier and smoother. With race techs 16 kg spring (actually an eibach) this should make a big difference. I'll update next weekend hopefully I can get out to the trail.

--
    Fully assembled and installed.
    Some initial thoughts is with almost no preload on the spring there's quite a bit more sag. I'm not against it but I hope it doesn't bottom out. Probably won't as there's 2 compression stages. So with this I have a stiffer spring 16kg vs 4.6kg and what seems to be a softer shock. I'll let you know next weekend lol

--
    Preload the spring until it sags about a third through the travel with you on it (still 2/3 to go until bottomed out).
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderboy View Post
    Preload the spring until it sags about a third through the travel with you on it (still 2/3 to go until bottomed out).
    That's about where about I'm at now. Just more than before with the heavy spring and stock shim packs

--
    I got a rear spring from him..went progressive springs on front but plan on adding these

--
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyChicken View Post
    I got a rear spring from him..went progressive springs on front but plan on adding these
    Worth every penny. Also the rear gold balance. Huge difference. Although there rebound settin is a bit springy for me. But easy to rebuild.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //