//ArrowChat Code
Page 255 of 308 FirstFirst ... 155 205 245 253 254 255 256 257 265 305 ... LastLast
Results 3,811 to 3,825 of 4609

Thread: What are you doing today? Thread

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Simple, we’ll use diesel generators to make electricity.

Can’t be any more of a cluster fuk than adding ethanol to gas.
    I'm sure eventually it could work.....when battery technology improves. Now though.....I find it hard to believe in say a state like california. .......even with all it's clean energy technology..... that when the sun goes down and the wind stops blowing you could successfully charge 20 million vehicles overnight and play Black Ops all at the same time.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    I'm sure eventually it could work.....when battery technology improves. Now though.....I find it hard to believe in say a state like california. .......even with all it's clean energy technology..... that when the sun goes down and the wind stops blowing you could successfully charge 20 million vehicles overnight and play Black Ops all at the same time.
    Two words: Solar Flare

The year was 1859 and if it happened today we wouldn't be able to pump gas into our cars let alone charge them.

It blows my mind (no, not really) that our governments are going digital/paperless on almost everything even after history has shown us that the grid being wiped out is more a question of when than if.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it” That will be one of the first things future man chips into a rock once he figures out how to use an chisel.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Anybody else notice that this thread is well on its way towards half a million views? Well done Knappy!!! Way cool!!! Eat your heart out Suckaberg
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    EVOs are very solid engines. Not sure about that S&S carb though (If that's what's under the cover). They always seemed like mid-century holdover tech to me.....
    Yeah it's a Super E Shorty. In a perfect world I would run the mikuni as originally planned, but that's what came on the bike when I bought it a couple weeks ago.

I found a trashed lifter (tappet) roller when I was inspecting my purchase, so my carburetor money just went into doing the entire topend, new cam to replace the trashed one that the lifter smoked, new lifters and lifter blocks, and a new breather gear, plus a new oil pump.

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Large scale batteries are slowly getting connected to the grid but like everything else, no one knows the optimal way to integrate them (when is the best time to charge, how fast to discharge, etc.) just yet. It comes down to size and charge/discharge rate and when you think you will need it. If you forecast correctly, they can cover short periods of demand. Until the quantity (capacity) of them increase significantly, still have to have gas/coal/nuclear to meet the Black Ops demand.

There is this idea that everyone will plug in their electric cars and enter the time they need their car to be charged. That way, the grid can not only manage when it will be charged but also discharge the battery when supply is needed. I have a hard time thinking our microwave society would adjust to that. Of course the electric car owners I work with totally geek out over that kind of stuff with their apps. Watching how much charge it has, current, $$.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Yeah it's a Super E Shorty. In a perfect world I would run the mikuni as originally planned, but that's what came on the bike when I bought it a couple weeks ago.

I found a trashed lifter (tappet) roller when I was inspecting my purchase, so my carburetor money just went into doing the entire topend, new cam to replace the trashed one that the lifter smoked, new lifters and lifter blocks, and a new breather gear, plus a new oil pump.
    Speaking of Evos......this thing has me up at night tossing and turning....to buy or not to buy.

Of all the HDs I've owned the sportster is still my favorite. From my old ironhead to the evo.....it's been my secret love.

This one's for sale and it's real clean and it's low mileage and already has the V&H system. A little pricey but what isn't anymore. There use to be a good amount of aftermarket for it but that was years ago. The wife gave me the go ahead so that's 75% of the battle

Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post

Would you mind sharing what that repair cost? Didn't HD update EVO lifters at some point because early ones were known to fail?

As the years pass, just about any/all of the issues on HD engines have been corrected by the MoCo itself, or aftermarket. Good stuff to know when looking at knife and fork engines.

These uber sized twins seem like a little too much nowadays. I don't remember EVOs having an issue with sustained interstate speeds. I thought the point of a cruiser was to take the back roads anyways, and soak in the scenery. When I see someone still riding something older, like Shovel and on back, packed for traveling, they seem to still have the adventuring spirit, not just trying to fly down the interstate from one planned destination to the next. Of course, it's typically some single dude, still in drifter mode, waiting to find what he's been searching for, without know what that is until he does.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Speaking of Evos......this thing has me up at night tossing and turning....to buy or not to buy.

Of all the HDs I've owned the sportster is still my favorite. From my old ironhead to the evo.....it's been my secret love.

This one's for sale and it's real clean and it's low mileage and already has the V&H system. A little pricey but what isn't anymore. There use to be a good amount of aftermarket for it but that was years ago. The wife gave me the go ahead so that's 75% of the battle

Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk
    If you want it for the looks over performance, and plan to keep it relatively stock for future value, then it'll probably be a good purchase.

I had a chance to ride one and found it uninspiring/average compared to anything similar (powerwise) outside of HD. At least the foot peg position is reasonable and they have regular handlebars instead of some faux clip-ons.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    I had a chance to ride one and found it uninspiring/average compared to anything similar (powerwise) outside of HD.
    I agree with that....at least comparing it to other makes but.........considering most of my time is spent riding 2 up on a loaded for bear bagger this will be a breath of fresh air.

--
    Today I'm pulling 3 70's and 'fugly' out of hibernation to take to the campsite this week. My daughter is finally able to come up from Calgary with her fiancé and she insists we ride the 1 1/2 mile loop around the campsite in true trike gang style........low speed with beverage in hand. Of course on a 70 having your hand occupied means no brakes, lol. So today will be a maintenance day draining gas, cleaning plugs, adjusting brakes, airing up tires and finishing with a wash and wax. The old folks at the site love those thing
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    I would buy it, Knappy. Looks like fun. I like sporties. I had a patchwork-years ironhead chopper years ago which is why my username was 'ironchop'

I tried to ride a coworker's Black Iron Sporty the other day but I'm too damn big for it to ride comfortably. The newer ones seem like the overall length got shorter(?) or else I keep getting taller

Clint, I know of a couple guys, one with near 150K on their original Evo and the other guy at almost 210K on his, but his lifters and breather were serviced many years ago. Guy #1 insists his motor had never been apart for anything.

THREE things I do have personal experience with as well as other friends, and also confirmed by two HD techs I know as friends:

1) the tappets are known to go out at around 40-45K. They will either wear out the hydraulic parts internally, or worse, the roller end will sh*t a needle bearing and lockup the roller, subsequently wiping the roller and the corresponding cam lobe. Those pieces sometimes travel through the oil pump and score it all to heck. So this is a potentially catastrophic issue. These Big Twins didn't have adjustable rockers or pushrods to adjust lash as you know, so if you got a noisy valve train, pull pushrod covers and see if they are loose. That's how I found my issue this time around. Rear cylinder exhaust was moving up and down about 0.150 while sitting at valve rest

2) the OEM plastic breather gear sheds a few teeth and you don't vent properly anymore which f**ks the oiling to the rest of the motor, the oil tank will blow the cap off and the motor will leak oil from every gasket. I think I heard that those pistons create 350lbs of force (seems excessive number) each time they move up or down, which would easily overcome any gasket or seal

Forgot to add:
    3) some later evos have that plastic caged cam bearing that fails spectacularly

If you cover those THREE things early, you'll have a great time with any Evo sporty or big twin (you probably already know)

Cam pic: those two center lobes should be the same height

Lifter block assembly pic: grooved roller on the right, good one on the left

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ironchop; 07-12-2021 at 08:14 AM.

--
    As for cost, Clint, I got:

1) Wiseco piston set with stock compression $255

2) S&S cylinder set $650 that I really didn't need but what the heck, right?

3) Andrews EV27 $175

4) S&S new oil pump and breather gear kit $475

5) extra S&S breather because my drunk a** didn't realize that one came in the kit with the oil pump and I ordered a second one after too many beers $120

6) James gasket set for topend $90

7) James gasket set for cam galley $25

8) NOS HD rocker shafts $60 for all four

9) NOS HD rockers, $75 for all four

10) 2 Rowe hard chrome intake valves $45

11) 2 Screaming Eagle (cuz I couldn't find Rowe) exhaust valves (pretty sure Rowe made these for HD) $40

12) Koyo cam bearing (Timken bought Torrington, then Koyo bought Timken)@ $12

13) S&S lifter blocks $175

14) S&S lifters $225

15) S&S adjustable pushrods $120

These prices are pretty close to actual but the total may vary +/- $150 or so...... Roughly $2500 total

It's INSANE how much these rebuilds cost

Even after adding in all that above, I will have about $7850 in the bike total because I also got a new rear tire and brake pads and rotor

Mine is a 1997, and evos ran through 1999, so if the MoCo addressed this issue, it must've been after 97 lol

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ironchop; 07-11-2021 at 10:48 AM.

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    The EV27 is a good choice for that bike, nice job on the other parts as well.

I just put a DynoJet kit and slide as well as a S&S air cleaner (stock CV carb) in the wife's 98 Road King, woke it up nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Got them all cleaned up. No real surprises, had to re-do the screw on spark plug boot on the '73 and change oil on the '82. All fired up nicely and should give us a week of trouble free riding.....I hope.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trikes.jpg  
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    Quote Originally Posted by coolpool View Post
    Got them all cleaned up. No real surprises, had to re-do the screw on spark plug boot on the '73 and change oil on the '82. All fired up nicely and should give us a week of trouble free riding.....I hope.
    Nice looking pack you got there coolpool.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //