//ArrowChat Code
Page 256 of 306 FirstFirst ... 156 206 246 254 255 256 257 258 266 ... LastLast
Results 3,826 to 3,840 of 4587

Thread: What are you doing today? Thread

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post

It's INSANE how much these rebuilds cost

Even after adding in all that above, I will have about $7850 in the bike total because I also got a new rear tire and brake pads and rotor
    Thanks a lot for taking the time to post those numbers.

That seems like a lot, but to have a reliable engine, without any more hidden issues is worth it (to me). Older used bikes can be full of surprises and it's nice to find those before they leave the rider on the side of the road in the middle of summer, with no shade.

What always amazes me is how the modular engineering of the big HD V-twins is often overlooked. There's a lot of other motorcycles out there that have such a unitized engine construction, that if they have major issues, the whole thing either gets scrapped or needs VERY expensive machine work because everything is cast together and the bearings are the parent material. Motorcycle engines with the cylinders and case halves cast as one piece come to mind. A lot of the HD engine wear surfaces/parts can be replaced with hand tools; no machining required.

For that 'lifetime' bike, I think HD has the upper hand (at least the older ones) for that being a reality. Live to ride, ride to live.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    That seems like a lot, but to have a reliable engine, without any more hidden issues is worth it (to me). Older used bikes can be full of surprises and it's nice to find those before they leave the rider on the side of the road in the middle of summer, with no shade.
    This was my exact line of thinking. I'd rather spend the money now, then after I'm 300 miles from the house requiring a $250 tow bill over to a $95/hr mechanic, so that I can ride it 300 miles back home

What always amazes me is how the modular engineering of the big HD V-twins is often overlooked. There's a lot of other motorcycles out there that have such a unitized engine construction, that if they have major issues, the whole thing either gets scrapped or needs VERY expensive machine work because everything is cast together and the bearings are the parent material. Motorcycle engines with the cylinders and case halves cast as one piece come to mind. A lot of the HD engine wear surfaces/parts can be replaced with hand tools; no machining required.

For that 'lifetime' bike, I think HD has the upper hand (at least the older ones) for that being a reality. Live to ride, ride to live.
    I've learned to appreciate this as well. For example, our trikes have heads roughly 3-4 inches away from the frame top tube, and yet you have to pull the motor to get the topend off, in alot of cases. This Evo has a rear rocker box that's 1/4" below the frame tube and yet you can pull the entire topend off the bottom end with the bottom half still in the bike. It was designed that way. From the uniquue cylinder studs and corresponding sleeve nuts, to the hole in the frame gusset so you can get an allen wrench in there to loosen that rocker box cover. This way I can service the entire engine topend (excluding the crank, crank pin, and rods) without disassembling any of the trans or the primary drive. You can also take this bike most of the way apart with a 1/2" wrench with just a few cameo appearances by Mister 9/16 and his brothers 5/8 and 7/16 wrenches. With adjustable pushrods you can change the cam and lifters without taking the heads off. Oil pump is external as well and easy to service.

I like all kinds of motorcycles. I'm not a brand snob either. I won't kick a good bike out of the garage. They each fill a specific need. Some are better than others but from what I've found, you either love HD or you don't. Not many people camping on middle ground with that brand. Would I have been better served road tripping all around the country on an Aspencade or a KLR? Probably, but these HDs have 'soul'. A Tesla is a much more advanced and efficient piece of transportation than an Edsel, but an Edsel has soul too. I like soul.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

--
    I like soul
    I do too....and it looks like I'm going to be able to get some sleep now.

I went ahead and purchased the XR and I'm satisfied. I mean there are some things I need to do to make it better for me and my riding style but for now it's fine.

Bringing it home on freeways only for nearly 150 miles with no complaints I can't correct

--
    I'm guessing this Fatboy got ridden alot but hardly serviced.

Pulled the back wheel off to replace the tire and get it balanced. I had noticed some of the rear rotor damage when I looked at the bike before I bought it. I didn't know the extent until I got the hard bags off and removed the rear wheel. Thankfully, I ordered the new rear rotor and pads the day after I bought the bike. The front brakes look barely used, but the rear was trashed. The back wheel was crooked because it was incorrectly tensioned. Drive belt looks good on the edges though.

--
    The front brakes look barely used
    Harleys have front brakes?

--
    Harleys have front brakes?
    Is this your old bike?

--
    That’s a nasty looking disc. I wonder if it was shooting out sparks at night?

Fastest way to know if the guy standing next to a parked bike telling everyone what a great rider he is happens to actually be a good rider, or just a good bullsh*ter is to look at the brake discs.

The guy with a fresh looking rear disc and grooved front discs is the fast guy.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Using 350x 250R YZ426F parts to get a 300ex on 4 legs. Did not want to sell off all my hard work from my atc300x built. I will say I am still happier not being in the garage as much engineering things to work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  

--
    Not trying to be a downer, but I'd like people to please acknowledge the problems with suicide in this county.

It's not the first time I've personally been impacted by this, but it never gets any easier.

The first text I received this morning was that the daughter of my closest friend hung herself yesterday. I didn't work today. I couldn't control when I'd break down. I spent the morning riding my motorcycle. I knew her since a child, and could see her face. That mental mage of her hanging...was too much.

Every time I talked to a coworker this morning, I couldn't do it without tears in my eyes.

There's and incredible amount of stigma about suicide that prevents people who are thinking about, from talking about it. It's a huge issue in this country. Please, study it and look for signs. If someone you know shows the signs, just offer an ear, with no judgement. It's insane that in a world of billions, a person can feel so alone.
    Last edited by ATC King; 07-23-2021 at 08:05 PM.

--
    I'm sorry for your loss. Suicide is awful for surviving friends and family and I agree....lend an ear and know the signs

--
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    I'm sorry for your loss. Suicide is awful for surviving friends and family and I agree....lend an ear and know the signs
    There's always the guilt that family feels.

Another thing I'd like to share is that an older co-worker I seen that morning and told about why I was laying out of work that day, made a short comment about 'kids nowadays.' I understood he may have forgotten what it was to be young and the emotional struggles young people tend to go through coupled with their lack of experience. I simply replied that this action is nothing new, with an understanding of what I meant. Romeo & Juliet? Lovers leaps all over the place? With a major rise in cognitive diseases, some older people are taking that route more often. Robin Williams most likely seen what was coming, and on a more personal level, the owner of a local funeral home, which had dealt with a suicide in my family years ago, recently had begun to understand he had a form of dementia and done the same.

I've personally been impacted by this, and directly know a multitude of other people who have, with some who've thought or attempted it, who finally felt secure enough to talk about it.

Next to people who've been impacted by a traffic fatality, suicide is right there at the top in the country for people sharing the same suffering. There were some years where it seemed like there was major focus on real societal issues in this country, but now it seems like everything is a political diversion with the politicians as the patients running the asylum. Pumping people full of antidepressants isn't a solution either...Soma.

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    You and all involved have my condolences.

With the constant bombardment of negativity by the news media and politicians, as well as a certain demographic of teachers in our schools constantly telling young people that the world is against them and the world is going to end because of climate change, fossil fuels, racism, or people hate you because you're different (pick your reason), or any other political agenda that keeps people scared, fearful and lacking hope for a positive future, it's not surprising that young people do this. Couple that with the inability to protect themselves from bullying, whether it be in person on on the internet, some kids can't think of any other way out.

It's really f'n sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    You and all involved have my condolences.

With the constant bombardment of negativity by the news media and politicians, as well as a certain demographic of teachers in our schools constantly telling young people that the world is against them and the world is going to end because of climate change, fossil fuels, racism, or people hate you because you're different (pick your reason), or any other political agenda that keeps people scared, fearful and lacking hope for a positive future, it's not surprising that young people do this. Couple that with the inability to protect themselves from bullying, whether it be in person on on the internet, some kids can't think of any other way out.

It's really f'n sad.

Thanks, and it is really sad that corrupt, delusional, and self serving politicians are destroying America's youth for their own agendas. They typically start at local levels, so know who your local politicians are and who their connected too, and let them know they will be held accountable for their actions.

--

What are you doing today? Thread

Finally got the call that my bike came in this am, let me tell ya i was at the dealer within the hour. I've been so pissy and moody lately from a guy that has no (or barely any) patience and to have to wait four months i was at the end of my rope......
    Been hearing nightmares about shipping and honda is so far behind that i had just about givin up.
    Course it'll probably be wednesday before i get plates but atleast is home.

And if i get sick of the color black honda has this sticker kit that i bought already.

shep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Shep1970; 07-31-2021 at 07:56 PM.

--
    Love the decal set Shep

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //