//ArrowChat Code
Page 281 of 306 FirstFirst ... 181 231 271 279 280 281 282 283 291 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,215 of 4587

Thread: What are you doing today? Thread

--
    Went and checked out our campsite last Sunday then went home for some frosty's and a fire. It's not looking too promising we'll be camping by the May long weekend (Victoria Day in Canada, May 23rd) as there's an unusually large amount of snow pack still. I guess the drifts are easily 36-48" in places still. You know, I'd love to share pictures but this site just gives me errors now. I'd love to contribute more but.......?
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    Quote Originally Posted by coolpool View Post
    Went and checked out our campsite last Sunday then went home for some frosty's and a fire. It's not looking too promising we'll be camping by the May long weekend (Victoria Day in Canada, May 23rd) as there's an unusually large amount of snow pack still. I guess the drifts are easily 36-48" in places still. You know, I'd love to share pictures but this site just gives me errors now. I'd love to contribute more but.......?
    I get the "upload failed" thing too, but if I keep trying eventually they load up

Here's some pics you sent me of your camp a few days ago

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

--
    Getting ready for a ride.

We've put 500 miles since a ride last year on 9-11.....we don't use it very much anymore.

28,000 miles on the clock

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    From Doug:

"No cookies for me. I'm on a straight carnivore diet for the next 45 days. Send me a digital ribeye" instead
    Here's a ribeye just for you. I did make some carrots and broccoli to go with it, hope that's OK.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IronChop'sRibeye_compressed.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	269404
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Today i bought some cheap OEM 200x calipers with mounts. Time to play a bit more on making stuff for my build

--
    I rode the YTM200 a little.

Name:	IMG_20220408_192506~3_compressed.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	794.3 KB 
ID:	269409

The recoil starter on the Dumpy 110 was sticky and I was tired of coaxing the rope back into it's hole after every start. I pulled that apart, cleaned it all out with a liberal spray of silicone lube, put a couple dabs of grease on the shaft, and it's acting properly now.

The 185S had been acting up since the crash last year and I finally got around to looking closer at that. The intake manifold has a split and it's sucking air. In all fairness, it had been patched some years back with epoxy or some type of glue, so now I guess it's earned a proper burial.

One of these is a Honda ATC engine and the other one isn't.

Name:	IMG_20220122_190029.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	269410
    Last edited by ATC King; 04-09-2022 at 09:40 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    I though of a couple potential names. Swamp Thing at first, but I'm leaning towards Rat King.
    I've been following this guy's sarcasm and body work restoration on his 1967 GMC Van and it occurred to me that you might like the series yourself. He doesn't have a nice fancy pile of expensive panel and metal working machinery and does quite a bit with hand tools and a sandbag. He does excellent work with what he's got, though.

https://youtu.be/aeNeCactorg

....One of these is a Honda ATC engine and the other one isn't.

Name:	IMG_20220122_190029.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	269410
    Also, what's the story on that Ironhead Sporty engine?

--

Also, what's the story on that Ironhead Sporty engine?
    The whole bike is there, scattered about. Except the rear fender struts, they were repurposed a couple weeks ago.

My friend bought it several years back, helping someone out who needed the cash. It was all together but not running.

Someone, maybe the previous owner, had attempted to rebuild it and fudged a whole lot up. For one, they didn't gap the rings and were so tight, the starter wouldn't turn the engine over. The rings could have been oversize on stock pistons or something janky like that. A whole bunch of the bolt threads were stripped out or darn near it. Something was amiss with the oil pump too. Just a bunch of ham-fisted nonsense.

My friend was going to rebuild it, but it turned into a larger project than he had time for. He's a trained H-D mechanic and that wasn't even enough encouragement to continue on with it. So, there it sits, to this day.

--
    The whole bike is there, scattered about. Except the rear fender struts, they were repurposed a couple weeks ago.

My friend bought it several years back, helping someone out who needed the cash. It was all together but not running.

Someone, maybe the previous owner, had attempted to rebuild it and fudged a whole lot up. For one, they didn't gap the rings and were so tight, the starter wouldn't turn the engine over. The rings could have been oversize on stock pistons or something janky like that. A whole bunch of the bolt threads were stripped out or darn near it. Something was amiss with the oil pump too. Just a bunch of ham-fisted nonsense.

My friend was going to rebuild it, but it turned into a larger project than he had time for. He's a trained H-D mechanic and that wasn't even enough encouragement to continue on with it. So, there it sits, to this day.
    Oh, so it's either a boat anchor OR a demo chunk of aluminum for demonstrating Heli-coil products.

Ironheads were their own special breed of Harley engines, that's for certain

--
    Ironheads were their own special breed of Harley engines, that's for certain
    Dad had a XL1000 when I was a teenager and I rode it quite a bit. The bike was already in pretty good condition when he got it. The only things besides a tune-up that I remember him doing to it was upgrading the generator and installing a clutch tamer. It always started quickly and ran well. I wouldn't have hesitated to take it on a long trip.

Those are the types of bikes to see America on and you as you already know, a lot of the stigma surrounding the old HDs as being unreliable is false. It's typically when people start fudging with a good bike, that they turn it to bad themselves. On the other hand, it takes someone with common sense and mechanically attuned touch and hearing to ride old iron and realize when it's time to take a look at something before it breaks. There's no bells and whistles on old bikes to blast the rider awake to a problem. Kind of like being stuck in stop-&-go traffic when the engine idle starts sounding a little off and the clutch is beginning to feel different, it's about past time to pull over and let that thing cool off.

--
    Dad had a XL1000 when I was a teenager and I rode it quite a bit. The bike was already in pretty good condition when he got it. The only things besides a tune-up that I remember him doing to it was upgrading the generator and installing a clutch tamer. It always started quickly and ran well. I wouldn't have hesitated to take it on a long trip.

Those are the types of bikes to see America on and you as you already know, a lot of the stigma surrounding the old HDs as being unreliable is false. It's typically when people start fudging with a good bike, that they turn it to bad themselves. On the other hand, it takes someone with common sense and mechanically attuned touch and hearing to ride old iron and realize when it's time to take a look at something before it breaks. There's no bells and whistles on old bikes to blast the rider awake to a problem. Kind of like being stuck in stop-&-go traffic when the engine idle starts sounding a little off and the clutch is beginning to feel different, it's about past time to pull over and let that thing cool off.
    I messed with them for a quick minute and everything I got was clapped out or clapped out AND hamfisted repair attempts. Seems like lots of people treated them poorly in my area and my limited knowledge of Harley was all of the big twin variety (non flathead) so the ironhead was a little foreign to me at the time and had quite a few differences on design over the big twins.

They were popular as a low-budget chopper platform in the early 2000s like Triumph/BSA was (at that time) and that's why I was into them. Lowbrow Customs started selling custom fab and engine parts for the Sporty and Triumph customers which ended up doing very well to this day. I had attempted a hardtail Evo build in the late 90s and got about $5K and still had no motor and trans. I sold the roller when I got into money trouble that comes from unplanned parenthood and gave up on the idea for awhile and sold the project. In about 2004, I had an ironhead chopper project that I traded off for a much better shape Triumph basket case and decided to go the Brit route instead. I used to have pics of that hardtail chopper that I can't find now but it was pretty much 95 percent there, the fab work was all completed on the roller, but I needed pistons and a bore job so I could assemble the motor and paint the frame and tins and ride away. Had an open heart surgery for a dangerous genetic heart defect when I was 36 and the medical bills poured in necessitating the sale of the Triumph (which really pissed my wife and kids off. They wanted me to finish it pretty badly. It had alot of custom stuff on it and I had three years into building it from scratch at that point). The prices for used Triumph and Sporty parts, moreso Triumph, have skyrocketed since that build. Back then, a skilled guy could put $3K out and have a really nice custom bike. Now finished ones sell for $10K+ out the door.

I'm too old to build another hardtail but it's tempting. I'm definitely in a better financial position to do so now, but it's not practical for commuting at my age. I bought a semi-bagger instead. Someday I might build another as a secondary bike to jaunt around town to look cool, but again it's not a practical expenditure in many ways so I'm tempering my lust for choppers.

--
    I replaced the intake manifold on the 185S. All I had were used spares and they're all showing age and cracks, but not all the way through, yet. I choose the best of the pile but I need to order a few new ones to have on hand, and also need a new order of intake/carb O-rings.

Name:	IMG_20220410_122136_MP_compressed.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	421.9 KB 
ID:	269416

I keep a bag of new OEM small parts and often forget what all I have because I order extra and often don't touch any of it for nearly a year. While digging for some intake O-rings I found extra 'duck bills' in the bag. They're not in the bag to just collect and the one on the 185S airbox was stiff as...so I replaced it. It's not exactly the same length, but it's the same diameter.

Name:	IMG_20220410_123623_MP_compressed.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	593.1 KB 
ID:	269417

--
    I also get the failed upload when trying to upload pics of my life adventures I'm sure others are dying to see. Been raining every 3 days here for what seems like a month, work is slow, gas is high.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 90nut View Post
    I also get the failed upload when trying to upload pics of my life adventures I'm sure others are dying to see. Been raining every 3 days here for what seems like a month, work is slow, gas is high.
    Here's an option.

https://saerasoft.com/caesium/

--
    I went with my friend to the scrap yard today and it turns out that scrap is bringing more than I thought.

We were both surprised. He was just trying to clean up the property some and hoping to at least pay for fuel.

He's got a whole lot more scrap and I've got a little bit. It looks like I'm going to bow up in the next week to sort and load a trailer. All the scrap starters and alternators are going to be stripped of copper, that's for certain. He's got a couple scrap big trucks and I'm going to hack those down for the aluminum in the cabs. The big truck aluminum wheels, radiator and intercooler cores we hauled in today brought more than the iron scrap (pickup engine blocks and such).

I stopped bothering with scrap years ago because it wasn't worth the effort and fuel. What that means is I hauled more stuff to the dump just to be rid of it. Even aluminum cans weren't worth the effort anymore. Maybe it changed recently.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //