//ArrowChat Code
Page 253 of 306 FirstFirst ... 153 203 243 251 252 253 254 255 263 303 ... LastLast
Results 3,781 to 3,795 of 4587

Thread: What are you doing today? Thread

--
    Today i drove 200 miles for work, bought 3 shade trees boose and took my daughter for a happy meal, i still have ebay orders to process while i'm half buzzed.

--
    Had a problem with those. They were tearing my deck up bad. I found that if I held a big dustpan up near my face and walked up on them slow when they got about elbow level I could smack them to the deck and step on them. I proceeded to work on them for about a month and a half when I was home and I quit counting after 80 kills or so. There are some real dumb ones.
    I haven't seen another carpenter bee again. Two years and counting. Think that the ones with yellow faces can't sting. Jokingly say that I'd be on the deck hunting. Best on day hunt, I got about 30.

--
    I went to a parts store today and when the kid at the counter asked what I needed, I said an air filter of a certain size.

What's the first thing he does?

It's bring out the Wix air filter book and look for that first dimension I said.

Totally reaffirming my faith that not all young people are just mindless button pushers.

To be fair, after first words like that, I've had older guys ask me 'for what vehicle.' I wouldn't give a dimension if it was standard fare...derp.

Edit: had to correct my spelling to fare instead of fair...derp (English is hard)
    Last edited by ATC King; 05-19-2021 at 10:28 PM.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Heading up to the Canadian border then back down the coast with some friends for 10 days of riding and smoking cigars

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210529_144842.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	267665

--

Name:	B4440AC1-7A83-48B0-9469-AE0B80894BD7.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	267675
    Working on selling one of these. Found out that the shifter shaft on the joker is stripped and have a guy coming by first thing tomorrow to take a look at it. I need to keep one of these for the grandkids so whatever sells first we’ll keep the other one.
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM shop View Post

Name:	B4440AC1-7A83-48B0-9469-AE0B80894BD7.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	267675
    Working on selling one of these. Found out that the shifter shaft on the joker is stripped and have a guy coming by first thing tomorrow to take a look at it. I need to keep one of these for the grandkids so whatever sells first we’ll keep the other one.
    Update- made a deal with a local guy on the joker. Money plus a set of new aftermarket fiberglass fenders plus a possible front fender. Stoked about the rear fender if they are what we think.

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Done my first chip timed bicycle race. Only about a 40 mile one. I didn't exactly enter to actually race, just that it was close and something to do, and every finisher got at least a little piece of memorabilia for their effort.

There's some other races coming up, and a 100 mile one coming later this year. That one has shorter and longer distance entries available, up to 300 miles. Definitely not registering for the 300 mile one, but I may go for the 100. I don't have a chance at even finishing in the top ten, but I still may give it a shot because I don't know if I can finish in the timeframe allowed. I've rode plenty of 100+ mile days, just never at a race pace and a time limit. It would be an accomplishment just to finish.

Some new parts were delivered today. Now that covid is over(ish), new parts and bikes are becoming available again.

--
    Hoping to get to the hardware store to some stainless m8 bolts for my 300x

--
    ATC KING, I got on my old ladies peloton stationary bike the other night, and let's just say after my 45 min beginner ride, I was a little on the short winded side. I am a heavy equipment operator but I still do a fair amount of shoveling and laboresk tasks but it's been about 8 years since I was on a moto x track at race pace and I can tell! Plus my knees are shot, I can barely take a 5 mile ride on my bike without my knees swelling and feeling like a dry joint on my excavator! Anything I can do for them without cutting into them? I'm only 35...

--
    90nut, first off, being a heavy equipment operator is a lot tougher on the body than non-associated people know. All the banging and jarring around while sitting in one position for extend periods, take a toll. Personally, I'd get a little motion sickness from working an excavator long enough. Good on you for finding the time to work on physical fitness.

I can only mention things that work for me, as I have issues too, which can leave me almost crawling out of bed the morning after extended cycling or hiking so I don't just collapse onto the floor. Something else to consider is other ailments and medications can also cause joint/knee pain, so if you have some other stuff going on, you'll want to see if there's a connection. I have a friend who has severe knee pain, and he managed to make it through a 70 mile bike ride earlier this year, but had to walk a bit because of the pain. That was the longest ride he's done in a couple decades, but we spent some time training for it with shorter rides.

I've got truckloads of knee pain stories from all sorts of people, mostly ex-runners. I think a lot of us would have treated ourselves better if we knew we'd live to the age we are.

Myself, I've been taking a joint supplement for 10-15 years, which has certainly helped. Another thing is thorough stretching before and after extended physical activity. All the proven leg and back stretches you can incorporate, the better, and do them properly, no shortcuts. Muscle strengthening exercises that target knee stability are also a great tool to deal with knee pain. Those inexpensive resistance band devices that anchor in a door jamb can work well for that (looking over at mine). If you have access to regular gym equipment; even better. Flexibility and muscle strength/balance can make a huge difference.

As for cycling, there's a lot of things that can be out of whack, leading to more pressure on your knees. Just poor pedaling technique can even cause knee pain. A saddle (seat) too low will certainly cause knee pain. The forward and aft seat adjustment can lead to it as well. Another common issue is choosing the wrong gearing and mashing instead of spinning. Too high of a gear (mashing) leads to a slow cadence (RPM) and pressure on the knees. Spinning is where you rely more on cardio than absolute leg strength to get up a hill or into a headwind. That is choosing a lower gear to keep the cadence optimum. Steep, long hills are better attacked by spinning. Short, punchy ones can be done by standing up and mashing, but that's for just getting over the top of a roller (short hill), not for actual climbing.

If a five mile ride hurts, knock that in half. Getting better is more about frequency than expenditure. What I mean by that is, it's better to ride shorter distances more often, than longer distances less frequently. Hard rides that are done less often aren't as beneficial as shorter ones done more regularly. The more often you ride, the more your body sees it as normal activity and can adapt to it. My favorite is having about a five mile (one way) daily bike commute. That's enough for me that I'm super comfortable on the bike and longer rides are just as comfortable. When I've been in a work situations where that's available, it's been the times I'm most fit for recreational cycling, like touring.

Above all, I suggest never taking advice from a typical racer. They have a totally different mentality that can throw long-term physical wellbeing out the window for statistical gains. If you seek more cycling advice, some of the best you can get will be from long distance touring cyclists. Those are the people who cycle in all conditions and don't trade comfort for all-out performance. They have to be extremely adaptable to more situations than a racer will ever be (RAAM and Trans-Am racers are exceptions). Any cyclist who sleeps in the woods, in city parks, on church pews, and anywhere they can while traveling, will have more practical cycling knowledge than can be found in any other cyclist. You can bet they've dealt with knee pain when in BFE and still having no choice to keep riding until they find water and/or lodging.

I don't know if that will all make sense, but pain while cycling isn't normal and you shouldn't try to push through it. Exhaustion and leg cramping (different topic) is to be expected, but not serious pain and joint swelling. Don't push until you have pain, but do try and get a ride in as much as you can. If that's only a mile, then start there for a while. I don't think I mentioned, but stay hydrated, joints need it.

You're question inspired me to cycle to the liquor store for some beer and I'm several in at this point. Currently, it's Voodoo Ranger from New Belgium, and at 9%, I'm wandering off...

Edit: I need to clarify "Above all, I suggest never taking advice from a typical racer."

There are many of them who have an online presence and give advice on the topic, but to be clear, they are at the extreme end of a sport, where fractions of a second can make all the difference. Their extremely low body fat is not healthy to maintain and they place a lot of emphasis on weight which can lead people off the path of health and to a single minded goal that can be very counterproductive to overall health. Their typical riding position isn't relative to recreational cycling either, and the very aero approach they take can and does lead to neck and back pain for many of them later on. If for no other reason than the strain of having to hold their head up because of the near horizontal position of their back. That's a lot of weight hanging on the end of the spine which isn't supposed to be supported that way for long periods.

Another way to think of people at the extreme end of a physical sport and it not being healthy, is bodybuilding. The goal they're trying to achieve is not overall health, but a very precise ideological physical image. That's not far remove from body image mental health issues.

If you're wanting to get into cycling for health and recreation, it's also extremely difficult finding a good local bike shop (LBS) that'll support and recognize you if you aren't a racer. Many of them are very snobbish, and others are simply ignorant. I dealt with the later at the last LBS I stopped at, and from the start, the 'mechanic' had a terrible attitude. The LBS before that wasn't any better, and flat out didn't want to even talk to me, and I heard him berating his wife (who was very friendly) as I left. No sir, not stepping into that one again. I've been into one shop (repeatedly) that was very good, but the guy packed his bags and left after many years in that location, and I think it was because of the new group of materialist and social status junkies that seem to be the trend in all cycling now.

In short, I hardly ever rely on an LBS anymore, except for last minute parts. Online and no fuss, with lower prices, shipped to my door. I buy complete, new bikes that way too.

I'm glad you asked, and hope you find that stretching and some simple strength exercises at least lessens your knee troubles, if not totally removing them.
    Last edited by ATC King; 06-05-2021 at 09:42 AM.

--

Name:	796EC6AD-EC13-4F93-BC25-324F95C723DE.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	325.2 KB 
ID:	267704Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E121CA5C-33E5-43C8-932B-2FF8317F344B.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	360.6 KB 
ID:	267705
    Picked up this set of new aftermarket 90 fenders today along with this one off front fiberglass fender.

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Yea, only reason I even get on the thing is for some cardio. I'm not looking to set any records or race across the country, just keep my heart from exploding prematurely which does run in the family. And yes, many people think being in a machine all day is gravy work, well run a dozer for for 10 hrs a day 5 days a week and see how you feel afterwords! I'm never the guy hogging dirt to load trucks, I'm the guy digging pipe in around every utility there is. Makes my eyes and brain hurt. The knees have had a hard life, moto cross years of concrete work, all the crashing and banging them into stuff. Really hurt one once when a chunk of dirt fell out of the bank as I was checking grade, shallow trench no reason for a trench box but man did ot booger up my knee.

--
    If you find that stretching and strength training helps, get serious about it and stick to it. It's not always easy to make time for those things, but it's easier than surgery and much better in the long run.

Avoid braces until the above isn't cutting it anymore. Cheap ones will make it worse, and expensive ones will become a crutch. Simple braces can't mimic the motion properly. It's not a door hinge.

--
    Just contemplating life.

Name:	LifesDivide.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	267790

--
    Got this card from my son today....... you know I'm going to try it on the Blackstone.... Happy Father's day everyone

Name:	20210620_110157.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	267808

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //