//ArrowChat Code
Page 179 of 306 FirstFirst ... 79 129 169 177 178 179 180 181 189 229 279 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,685 of 4587

Thread: What are you doing today? Thread

--
    Saw this at staples had to buy it
    Attachment 258458Attachment 258458

Edit: well, I’m still terrible at trying to upload pictures from my phone

--
    Spring bath for the R

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    It's an 2009.

The drive belt seems in great condition.....how long do they last? Seems like a real pain to change out
    My 85 Low Rider is on it's second belt and the bike has roughly 200,000 miles on it. Upgraded the cam at 25,000, did a complete rebuild at about 150K, not because it needed it just because I wanted to add a newer cam, shaved the heads, port and polish) The first belt had a hole punched in it from a small rock that got caught up between the pulley and the belt. I was in the process of starting to do a burnout when it broke IIRC that was around 60,000 miles.

They are a PITA to swap out, you'll have to completely disassemble the primary and it's components, remove the inner primary and the swingarm. The upside is at that time you can check out all those other parts for wear and tear and replace other critical parts that may need it: swing arm bearings, cleve blocks, belt sprockets, primary chain. One other problem is that the swing arm pivot bolt can become seized in the transmission housing, so at the minimum it wouldn't hurt to loosen the swing arm bolt and make sure it's not seized when you do your PMS (Preventative Maintainence Inspection). I'll be checking the wifes '98 Road King swing arm pivot bolt in the next couple of weekends.

ETA: I should say they CAN be a PITA to swap out. I can have the primary assembly completely off of one of our bikes in about an hour and a half, and that's diddleputzing around while I do it.

I would just inspect the belt and pulleys a couple times a year.

At 85,000 I would think your bike is far from "tired", especially if you don't on it all the time. Harley's are far more durable than some would have you believe. If your bike is stock then I think you've just gotten used to the factory horsepower and you may need a little upgrade in the cam department

I would check your compression and compare it to the HD specs, that will tell you alot right there.

Have you replaced the crappy factory chain tensioners? It was more of an issue with the early TC motors, but at 85K it wouldn't hurt to crack open the cam chest and take a peek to see how they are wearing. If those shoes go, you'll be looking at redoing the whole motor like one of the guys I work with, cost him somewhere between 4-5K.

We are going to be upgrading my brothers '04 Electraglide with this as long as the crankshaft runout is in spec:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/S-S-Cycle-5...QAAOSw81lcZfAO
    Last edited by Scootertrash; 05-12-2019 at 07:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    My 85 Low Rider is on it's second belt and the bike has roughly 200,000 miles on it. Upgraded the cam at 25,000, did a complete rebuild at about 150K, not because it needed it just because I wanted to add a newer cam, shaved the heads, port and polish) The first belt had a hole punched in it from a small rock that got caught up between the pulley and the belt. I was in the process of starting to do a burnout when it broke IIRC that was around 60,000 miles.

They are a PITA to swap out, you'll have to completely disassemble the primary and it's components, remove the inner primary and the swingarm. The upside is at that time you can check out all those other parts for wear and tear and replace other critical parts that may need it: swing arm bearings, cleve blocks, belt sprockets, primary chain. One other problem is that the swing arm pivot bolt can become seized in the transmission housing, so at the minimum it wouldn't hurt to loosen the swing arm bolt and make sure it's not seized when you do your PMS (Preventative Maintainence Inspection). I'll be checking the wifes '98 Road King swing arm pivot bolt in the next couple of weekends.

ETA: I should say they CAN be a PITA to swap out. I can have the primary assembly completely off of one of our bikes in about an hour and a half, and that's diddleputzing around while I do it.

I would just inspect the belt and pulleys a couple times a year.

At 85,000 I would think your bike is far from "tired", especially if you don't on it all the time. Harley's are far more durable than some would have you believe. If your bike is stock then I think you've just gotten used to the factory horsepower and you may need a little upgrade in the cam department

I would check your compression and compare it to the HD specs, that will tell you alot right there.

Have you replaced the crappy factory chain tensioners? It was more of an issue with the early TC motors, but at 85K it wouldn't hurt to crack open the cam chest and take a peek to see how they are wearing. If those shoes go, you'll be looking at redoing the whole motor like one of the guys I work with, cost him somewhere between 4-5K.

We are going to be upgrading my brothers '04 Electraglide with this as long as the crankshaft runout is in spec:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/S-S-Cycle-5...QAAOSw81lcZfAO
    Good to hear.

Was talking to a guy that said his buddy had almost 200K on his sporty....I thought he was pulling my leg. I never bothered to ask about the belt but I recently talked to a guy with 130K + on his 103 that's on the original belt and motor.

I've already had the pleasure of doing a compensator, stator, rectifier and starter, etc.. I grinded the edge down on the primary housing for ease of removal of the rotor for the next time. After our San Francisco trip I'm going to inspect the cam chain tensioner, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190305_163526.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	258481

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190305_124424.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	258482

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    Good to hear.

Was talking to a guy that said his buddy had almost 200K on his sporty....I thought he was pulling my leg. I never bothered to ask about the belt but I recently talked to a guy with 130K + on his 103 that's on the original belt and motor.

I've already had the pleasure of doing a compensator, stator, rectifier and starter, etc.. I grinded the edge down on the primary housing for ease of removal of the rotor for the next time. After our San Francisco trip I'm going to inspect the cam chain tensioner, etc.
    ]
    I sometimes have to change the oil or check the tire pressure in my bmw and honda police bikes.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    I sometimes have to change the oil or check the tire pressure in my bmw and honda police bikes.
    Haha!! Good one

--
    Hauling Rocks with the Big Red!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180729_164025817_HDR.jpg  

--
    Hauling Rocks with the Big Red!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180729_164025817_HDR.jpg  

--
    Pulling some firewood with the Quadractor after a quick tuneup in garage
    Still need to change some belts and paint. All in time

Short video of a little 8hp at work
    https://youtu.be/qTwiyE7ChuM

--
    Quote Originally Posted by plastikosmd View Post

Short video of a little 8hp at work
    https://youtu.be/qTwiyE7ChuM
    Super cool, never have I ever seen one of those
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by plastikosmd View Post
    I love that thing. Never seen one before.

--

Here's another boring barnett468 race report for anyone that gives a flyin flock.

Another race and another 1st place against other vintage bikes this time, however, this time it was in a higher skill level class because I moved myself up one class yesterday and it was my first true vintage race on my YZ465.

I had an unusual experience at the track to start the day off. There was a famous motorcycle racing photographer named Tom Corley there whom goes to a lot of this clubs races and photographs people. He has also been photographing races and writing articles about motorcycle races since at least 1975, and I even bought many photos from during the 70's that he had taken of me. A few minutes after I unloaded my bike, he came over and asked me if he could get a photo of me with the my bike, which surprised the heck out of me because my bike has a hole melted in the side cover with melted duct tape covering part of it, and a piece of the vinyl is missing from the seat so the foam can easily be seen, and the word GERITOL on the tank in big heavily worn letters etc, so it's not like he wanted the photo to show off how nice it my bike was, nor did he recognize me from the 70's, nor am I anyone special like Bob Hannah or Marty Smith etc.

After he took some photos of my roachy looking bike with me wearing a ragged sweatshirt that Goodwill probably wouldn't even take, he asked me if he could interview me for an article in his magazine, to which I said yes but was a little hesitant about it because I had no idea what he wanted to ask me or why in the world he wanted to interview me as opposed to anyone else there, including ex AMA Pro rider Scott Burnwurth who was parked no more than 50 feet away from me. Anyway, if he puts the interview in his race report which comes out in around 2 weeks, and it doesn't make me look like the ragmuffin of vintage racing, I may post it for peoples amusement.

As far as the racing went, I entered 3 races for a total of 6 motos, unfortunately, due to various issues like them dropping the gate in one race before I was even there, and my new compression release popping out on the starting line 10 seconds before they dropped the gate in another race, and crashing while running 2nd in front of all the experts in another race, and my glasses being fogged up for half the track for most of the races so I could't go as fast as I wanted the entire time, 2 of the races were complete throw aways as far as overall finishes go, however, had I not had any of the other issues except for the fogging glasses, I luckily would have won the overall in the other 2 races as well, so from that viewpoint, it was a pretty good day.

In the races I actually ran and started on time in, my bike wheelied so high every time I hit 4th gear on the start that I had to shut the throttle off completely until the wheel came back down, at which point the bike slowed just enough to be bogging some when I hit the gas again, so I had to pull the clutch in and peg the throttle, then slip the clutch until it wasn't bogging anymore, and even though I had this issue, I still got killer starts including one second place start and a holeshot, and both of these were the 2 motos the experts were in, so the bike definitely runs well now but I'm still not done trying to get just a little more hp out of it.

In the race I won the overall in, I beat the reigning champion of that class whom wins most of the races he is in, however, I don't think he is quite the fastest person in that class from what I can tell, but the guys that I think might be a little faster rarely go to any of the local vintage races, so it looks like I should do well in that class which I definitely didn't expect, at least not quite so soon anyway after not even being on a bike in 27 years.

All in all, even with the minor incidents that occurred, I still had a blast and am happy that the beast didn't do anything unexpected and throw me on the ground hard.

I know I put a tear off on here...but maybe that was last week.

Here...have a little roost from my nice big Hoosier rear tire....oh...and there is no need to thank me.

That is the reigning 60+ open class expert champion behind me. I held him off for 4 laps which I thought was pretty good. Had I not tipped over in a turn half way thru the first moto for this particular race while I was in 2nd place, I think I would have beaten him, because I was easily keeping up with the 1st place guy and he ran away from everyone in both motos.

--
    I like your race reports Barns. Thanks for sharing and keep it up. One question, do you do all of your own machine work? Maybe you have answered that before and maybe I missed it because I hit the like button without actually reading your post.

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    What am I doing??? Thinking about how in the heck to put a motor back together and not have the Dam thing leak. Wth? Any advise from you motor builders?

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM shop View Post
    I like your race reports Barns. Thanks for sharing and keep it up. One question, do you do all of your own machine work? Maybe you have answered that before and maybe I missed it because I hit the like button without actually reading your post.
    Thanks, and I like that you like to like my race reports even BEFORE you read them.

Actually, I feel a little strange posting this stuff, but after some positive comments about the first one, I figured I might keep posting them until people get sick of them, which may be pretty soon now, however, I was also told by several people on this site a while back that doubted what I had posted at that time, that if there isn't any photos, it can't be true, so here they are.

I do not do any machine work now, I use 2 local retired machinists that have machines in their garages. I just do the drawings for them so all they have to do is follow the drawing. As far as being a real machinist, I definitely am not. I can do rudimentary things on a lathe and a mill etc, but nothing complicated. In addition to the other things I did at Kawi, I was one of two primary fabricators, so I can use a lot of various machines and fabricating tools etc, plus I can do some mold making, but I left the complicated machining processes to the in house machinists.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //