//ArrowChat Code
Page 306 of 306 FirstFirst ... 206 256 296 304 305 306
Results 4,576 to 4,587 of 4587

Thread: What are you doing today? Thread

--
    If you're ever laying in bed, thinking about it, here's some things to help ease you into sleep...

V Rod

Shim-under-bucket

Desmodromic

There's nothing like having to loosen the engine to be able to move it around to adjust the valves or needing two cam lobes for one valve.

If those don't help...

Twin Cam

There's no valve adjustments there, but need to pull the cams every 40k or so to replace the tensioners. Sure, it may make it to 60k, but it may also spit chunks of tensioner rubber into the crankcase breather system and start blowing a steady stream of oil into the air filter, saturating it to the point the engine doesn't want to run. I know a guy..
    Last edited by ATC King; 03-14-2024 at 09:45 PM.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    There's no valve adjustments there, but to pull the cams every 40k or so to replace the tensioners. Sure, it may make it to 60k, but it may also spit chunks of tensioner rubber into the crankcase breather system and start blowing a steady stream of oil into the air filter, saturating it to the point the engine doesn't want to run. I know a guy..
    Every M8 I know of that's approaching 100,000 miles have basically been trouble-free. You have the normal issues but nothing bad.

My friends 90,000 mile M8 has only had a compensator & exhaust heat shield issue...both covered under warranty.

My M8 at 46K has had an exhaust rattle and a warped front disc....both covered under warranty.

I think HD knows their bikes are going to be ridden so they go from there.

--
    Yeah, they make good bikes. I wasn't picking on HD specifically, that's what the Ducati reference was for too.

I'm in agreement that modern bikes shouldn't have short interval or difficult valve adjustments, not the average street legal bike anyway. I was just ribbing you because I agree. Those just happens to be some of the ones I could think off right off.

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    I can diagnose your friend's problem all the way from here.....

Problem:..... The purchase of a Can-Am Outlander. (horrible reliability rating...one of the worst)

Fix:......Purchase a Honda Foreman DCT.
    Our '06 Outlander 400s are doing just fine. Had to swap out the cam chain and pitched the decompression parts on mine(both known issues), other than that....

ETA: Cam chain issue didn't leave me stranded. Started making noise and got back to camp fine. Ditched the decomp parts in the replacement process.

I'll have to look into the Cam Am reliability issues. I'm not planning on anything new soon, but might be good info since I ride with those guys from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    I'm on my 5th day of the flu. Looking at the bedroom wall has never been so pain and snotfull.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    I'm on my 5th day of the flu. Looking at the bedroom wall has never been so pain and snotfull.
    Yuck....get better soon.

After reading ATC Kings post on getting projects completed, I got motivated and finally painted my Escapade trailer.

I thought painting it was going to be the hardest part of the project but finding a cooler that will fit that old cooler tray is harder. Everything now is Yeti or a clone. In the olden days you just went to the department store and found what cooler would fit by trying them out. Now you need to rely on dimensions from internet sellers that sometimes don't lineup with what you measured.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    Those are tough ones, especially for anyone used to getting up early and working a physical type of job. It's bad enough being sick, not being able to have a productive day just adds insult to injury.

You're probably not able to get actual rest in that condition either.

Keep that schnoz moisturized after all the wiping and blowing and good luck whooping it sooner than later.

--
    Does you're cooler tray bolt on the tongue?

That'd be a lot of exterior space for such a small interior one, if putting a Yetiesque cooler on the tongue. That's what's on a friends bike trailer and empty or not, that's some weight up front. It's also a bit of an easy target for thieves.

You're not kidding about these new style coolers either.

It seems like everyone I know except myself has one of those ginormous, heavy, and expensive coolers. I've put off buying one all these years and keep rocking my old duck tape customized unit. The main reason is it doesn't matter how awesomely insulated one is if the lid gets opened every several minutes. If ices only needs to last to the end of the day or event, a much less expensive cooler will do that just fine.

The only justification I would have for spending that kind of money and taking up that kind of space is if I regularly camped for for extended time and needed something to keep things like milk and meat cold for days on end and only opened it for making meals. Drinks would go in a separate cooler, but then again, I'm fine with ambient temp beverages and I wouldn't take beer along for that kind of trip anyway. Beer takes up too much room, whiskey is much more portable and I prefer it neat anyway. Not much of a soda drinker and a good cup of tea is made on the spot, no refrigeration needed.

The older style coolers are still out there, new. I kid you not, I seen the exact same one I've had for years, new, on a shelf, a couple months ago. I got a little nostalgic looking at one new. I almost bought one, but the old one is still holding together with some help, so I'll keep it out of a landfill for a while longer.

Some things I just don't get rid of until they're full of holes, stained, and causing problems; like my underwear.

You seen the prices on underwear nowadays? By the time I can afford to replace them, the old ones aren't even good enough for shop rags.

--
    If you're ever laying in bed, thinking about it, here's some things to help ease you into sleep...

V Rod

Shim-under-bucket

Desmodromic
    I don’t know anything about the V rod, but having witnessed firsthand what happens when you put aftermarket cams into a shim over bucket engine, I totally understand the need to put them underneath on some engines.

The Ducati thing terrifies me. I have all the tools, but I always breathe a huge sigh of relief when I check the tolerance and find out that I don’t need to use them.

My favorite is the Suzuki four valve GS engines, especially the 1150 with the rubber valve cover gasket if you’re familiar with those. Just pull the seat and gas tank and hour later you’re putting them back on and going for a ride.
    It sucks to get old

--
    During my younger days I would have used aftermarket cams but anymore I'm satisfied with a well tuned stock engine. Whatever that is, 50cc or 1000cc. Regardless of power output, an engine that feels like it should and runs out clean is more enjoyable than something that stretches the arms only after it quits having fits.

That and bad aftermarket parts that wipe other parts out don't warranty those or reimburse the labor cost.

Ducati doesn't seem to be abandoning the Desmo system any time soon. Their new Superquadro Mono has it. 'The most powerful single-cylinder in the world', as they tout. 10,250 redline, 9,000 mile oil changes, and 18,000 mile valve clearance checks is pretty impressive for the power. Still, I don't want one and if I did, I'd wait a year or two for other owners to road test them.

I hear you on the rubber gasket valve covers. I haven't worked on a GS but I have on other bikes and quads that use a similar style cover and gasket. That is so very underrated. Not only is the entire valvetrain exposed for easy access but the only thing needed is tools, no parts. At least on nut and screw type adjusters. Even on engines with valve access ports, sometimes getting tools and feeler gauges in there is still not as easy as removing the entire top cover. The one piece cover looks cleaner too, instead of screw-in port plugs for each valve. The thick rubber gaskets typically used on those hold up very well and there's no having to bust loose a large diameter plug that may have been in there for years, requiring more force than it should and an very snug fitting socket or wrench that won't mar the nut edges on the plug. Sometimes the plugs are in a position where there's no good leverage to break them loose without busting some knuckles or slipping off, so out comes a rubber to slap the wrench or ratchet with.

Sometimes the valve clearance check intervals should be measured in years instead of miles, and parts like to stick together. That's the life of vehicles that sit more than operate. It can certainly be easier to pry parts apart than rotate them.

--
    Does you're cooler tray bolt on the tongue?

That'd be a lot of exterior space for such a small interior one, if putting a Yetiesque cooler on the tongue. That's what's on a friends bike trailer and empty or not, that's some weight up front. It's also a bit of an easy target for thieves.
    It mounts on the tongue.

This is a big trailer. I have a current tongue weight of 19 lbs...empty...not completely reassembled yet. I think it weighs about 180 empty.

I purchased a igloo marine cooler...way to small.

I think for now im just going to clean the tray up and paint it....install it & wait for the right one to present itself.

--
    Selling an 1982 ATC250R in the parts section.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //